1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on defence

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dark Myrmidon, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Dark Myrmidon

Dark Myrmidon Chieftain

For my cities I usually have a pair of archers/their upgrades, an axeman/crossbowman/upgrades, and a spearman/upgrades. I usually have some kind of fast unit ready to ride out and pick off some attackers before they pillage too much. I'll usually have my border cities with more defenders. Is this defence acceptable? Any advice for it? Perhaps I should upgrade my units with "City Defender" less, go for Drill, and march them out to meet attackers?

If it's a valuable resource, I'm tempted to pop fortify some units over it to protect it from pillagers - what would a good set of units be for this purpose? For hills it's easy, I usually just have a pair of archer/upgrades with Guerilla 1 + 2, but what other units should I supplelement that with, and what should I do if it's not on hills? And what resources should I make a concious effort to defend, just the tactical/military ones?

Finally, the big one - Coasts. Enemy ships have always been a pain for me, dropping units right in my least defended areas, pillaging and sometimes even taking towns of mine by surprise. I'm just not sure how to place my own ships for defence... At the very least I put a ship or two down on each fishing boated tile (I HATE having my boats pillaged!) but otherwise I'm clueless. In one game I tried stacking them near my cities once, but then Alexander got his transports in around my back side. In another I tried placing them in pairs around my borders, a "Sentry" range apart so if any ships came in towards my line they would be spotted, but the defence itself proved to weak to hold off ships when Montezuma attacked me. What is the best way to hold the naval line?

2. Dizzy75

Dizzy75 Warlord

What level and map size are you playing? Do you usually have a tech lead, or not? It depends on the age and tech, in my experience.

3. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Sadly, there is no effective way to defend your coast except to have lots and lots of ships on hand. In the late game, I usually station destroyers or battleships over every special resource at sea (anything that would cost me a fishing boat to replace) but in the early game I usually take my chances, with maybe one or two galleys available to use against intruders--and of course, I always have to try to bait them into attacking one of my galleys first, since these things suck at offense.

In terms of defending your cities, the key thing is to remember that in Civ4 there are no formulas. You have to be proactive and anticipate what might come at you. Who has ivory and construction? You'll need some good anti-cavalry defense if those elephants come at you. Which borders are more likely to see action? Build some walls there. Which UU's are going to come into play in the near future? Plan to deal with a stack of 'em. One thing I always try to have in each of my border cities is a catapault (more if possible, but I'm a builder, so my military is usually small). If a SOD comes at one of your cities, best that you toss one catapault at it before they make a run at your city. Why let them attack at full strength, right.

4. Crimso

Crimso ...aaaaaagh!

Helmling is right (and HAS A ****ING AMAZING NAME TOO! GO DnD! Rooool your D20 ok n/m)

What you have to do is build ships and PROACTIVELY seek them out and destroy them. The AI is ******** with their navy. You can still get screwed because there is no zone of control gawd damn what a *****.

5. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry Warlord

organize your fleet into intercept teams, you cover the same amount of ground but with more power in both areas. also, think of the naval fronts like regular fronts. the AI loves to travel in straight lines. humans are smarter obviously.

6. Smokey McDope

Smokey McDope Warlord

Yeah the only way to prevent naval invastions is to scout the waters between you and potential enemies. Usually the AI builds a humongous invasion force and stacks it all in one city. If you see a city with say, 10 maces, 5 cats, couple galleys, some other units, you know that that AI plans on attacking someone soon.

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

The best form of defence is attack!!!!!! Its pointless having 4 units defending ever city. I normally mass units on border cities on Monarch. If the AI has 4-6 units in border cities i like to have 4-6 units in waiting. You can normally tell offensive AI units compared to archers or longbowmen defending a city.

In real terms i like to destroy or cripple the nearest 1-2 AI civs on my island before 1000ad to give me the 12-13 city base i need for a cultural/ space race or domination game. Plus all the resources make health less an issue.

8. Holbek

Holbek Chieftain

Subs with visibility upgrade stationed in strategic spots.
    Jet fighters used for recon - This in particular gives you a huge advantage - as you usually can make a 2-turn bombingrun on any ships before they come close enough to land their troops.

9. Willem

Willem Deity

That sounds like overkill to me. For your interior cities, just one or two Archers should be enough. Your regular defense should be good enough for your border cities, at least in the early part of the game. Like up until Cavalry/Riflemen etc. You'd be better off using some of those extra units for offense in case you're attacked. As the saying goes, "the best defence is a good offense".

10. Pantastic

Pantastic King

That sounds like the number of troops I might use on a single border city that I know the AI is going to attack, I can't imagine trying to pay maintenance with half a dozen units stuck to every city. For me in that timeframe, I usually put 1 axeman or archer in each rear city, and one axeman or archer plus one spearman in each city near the enemy, the rest of the units go for offense or occasionally a defensive reserve. Paying maintenance on that many units that aren't doing anything will kill your economy pretty quickly.