Need some sort of songtext tool

BSPollux

Deity
My (quite old) neighbour started a conversation with the words I hate: "You're good with computers, right?" I feel like I need to help him, but his wish was quite strange. Maybe you know a programm that can fullfill it.

He wants something like a dastabase for songtext. But he doesnt want to have the texts, he wants a tool that allows him to write and store them.

He wants to enter a band, theire songs and then add texts to these songs. I dont know what its all about, I realy dont understand his goal. Guess hes just old and wants to do "cool computer stuff". Oh yeah and if the tool would allow to assign hotkeys to band it would be realy great for him (whaaaaaa!).

Now, hes old. His computer knowledge is limited. He knows how to use some things, like basic office stuff, but I doubt he will understand how to use a real database.

Hes a friendly old guy, so I'd like to help him, butI realy dont know how. Any ideas for a tool that could do what he wants?

Does he just need it to be on his computer, and transferable to his bandmates' computers?

What I'm thinking of is the music player Songbird, plus its LyricsMaster plugin. It's most often used for its ability to search common music-lyrics sites for lyrics to your songs. But it also allows you to edit the lyrics, and then saves them to the mp3 tags, so if you move the song to another computer, it will automatically pick up those lyrics you modified. So in this case, it would search for the lyrics (based on the artist and song name), wouldn't find them, and then you could right-click and choose "Edit Lyrics", type them in, and save.

This isn't particularly fancy, and I can only say for sure that it works with .mp3 and .flac files. It doesn't have any fancy way to store multiple versions of lyrics (such as if you were still working on the lyrics), besides writing them down one after the other. And you'd still have to copy it over to Word for printing, or the Internet, or wherever, manually (though you can copy-paste from the Edit area). But if the goal is simply to save the lyrics such that they're linked with the song, it ought to work. And perhaps just as good, it's pretty user-friendly. You don't need any particular technical knowledge if the music's in the right format.

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, it doesnt fit. He has no mp3s. He has records, in a box next to the computer.

The problem is, his whole idea is so useless and 'yesterday' that noone ever programmed what he wants. I mean, he has access to the internet! Why the &&/%$ should he write all that stuff himself?

And the worst part is, he knows I'm a programmer and out of work right now. So he suggested I just just make such a programm for him.
So useless...

Top Bottom