Need Spanish help.

Field_Marshal

Warlord
I need some help on how to pronounce those pesky r and rr sounds. I try and try but it the only thing I ever have a problem with. How in God's name is it done?

One thing my Spanish teacher told my class during high school is that if you can't roll your r's, then put a d in front of the r when you say it to somewhat simulate it.

Its quite funny how different languages pernounce their letters phoneticly.

I myself am still learning how to say the Japanese I (い/イ) and O (お/オ). Their "I"s sound like a high e and their "O"s sounds like a regular o but you keep your tounge at the base of your mouth.

I can't roll my r's either. I often wonder if my native tongue was Spanish, would I be able to roll the r's or not? Is my tongue just not built to be able to roll them? I'm Hispanic, by the way, and everyone in my family can do it except for me.

Methinks that if you can't do it, you just can't do it. Because, believe me, I've tried my whole life and it just isn't going to happen. I just do the best I can using the "l" sound. Words like pero (but) and perro (dog) will just have to be understood from the context.

Try to imitate the sound of a drag racer (the pro one's) - or a helicopter.
Put your tounge right on the border between your two front teeth and your gums.Push but don't push on the roof but not too hard. Then push air out of your mouth like you are going to sigh. Since you are only pushing agianst the roof slightly your tounge will move down then you keep trying to push it back up and it will keep moving down slightly giving you the sound.

Remember that the letter R in English comes from the bottom of your throat. (For example say the letter slowly you can feel it at the bottom of you throat)
R in Spanish comes from the top (practice the alphabeta in Spanish to help you remember)

I hope that helps it was the best I could do without a camera or something.

A trilled "r" is easy, in my opinion.

mayakovsky said:
I can't roll my r's either. I often wonder if my native tongue was Spanish, would I be able to roll the r's or not? Is my tongue just not built to be able to roll them? I'm Hispanic, by the way, and everyone in my family can do it except for me.

Methinks that if you can't do it, you just can't do it. Because, believe me, I've tried my whole life and it just isn't going to happen. I just do the best I can using the "l" sound. Words like pero (but) and perro (dog) will just have to be understood from the context.
There are people who cant pronounce rolled rs, even from countries where rolled r´s are part of the language. Instead of "perro" they pronounce "pegjo" or something similar. For instance in the Spanish version of Life of Brian Pilate has this problem. ;)

Here yo can find some hints to pronounce it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Alveolar_trill

I don't really know what advice to give, because I can pronounce them without absolutely any problem. :) It's difficult for me to pronounce the English r though. When I was in England, nobody could pronounce my name properly, except for a guy who was from Turkey, a guy from Spain and a guy from Russia. :lol:

Good luck with rolling those 'R's!

Elta said:
Try to imitate the sound of a drag racer (the pro one's) - or a helicopter.
Put your tounge right on the border between your two front teeth and your gums.Push but don't push on the roof but not too hard. Then push air out of your mouth like you are going to sigh. Since you are only pushing agianst the roof slightly your tounge will move down then you keep trying to push it back up and it will keep moving down slightly giving you the sound.

Remember that the letter R in English comes from the bottom of your throat. (For example say the letter slowly you can feel it at the bottom of you throat)
R in Spanish comes from the top (practice the alphabeta in Spanish to help you remember)

I hope that helps it was the best I could do without a camera or something.
Thanks, once I get that down there will basically be nothing I have real difficulty with.
Not fair.. your native language has a similar one. Just try the German R haha.. it's all throat!
Please dont tell me Italian has something like that!:(

Field_Marshal said:
Please dont tell me Italian has something like that!:(

I thought German had the same sort of trilled r as the Italians.

chrisrossi said:
I thought German had the same sort of trilled r as the Italians.
Wait back up, German to?:crazyeye:

I think so yeah.

The Italian r is probably a little more agressive than the German one.

German: Rock probably trilled r
morgens no trilled r

Italian: rosso trilled r
forte also trilled r, where German would probably not have one.

Native German speakers are welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

I could learn to do it for the sake of enticing hot girls with my sexy Euro words![pimp] But Italian sounds so smooth and easy nonetheless, trill or no I could learn it.

Yeah trust me, Italian does pull them in.

You always get asked to speak a little, by girls or no girls.

My Spanish teacher always told me to say ladder a billion times. It never worked but I eventually got it without help.

chrisrossi said:
I think so yeah.

The Italian r is probably a little more agressive than the German one.

German: Rock probably trilled r
morgens no trilled r

Native German speakers are welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know Italian, and not a native German speaker, but I believe you're correct with regards to Rock and morgens. At least that's what I do anyway.

Ugh!! Some German trilled r's are so difficult!

Top Bottom