Need to overhaul marine unit.

kenrickandbros

Chieftain
Hi, I'm new to Civ Fanatics and to forums in general. Here's hoping I did this right!:)

The current marine is only used in rare cases. It is a naval-land attack unit of the Atomic Era. Here are the current stats:

Production Cost: 400
Strength: 65 (slightly less than Infantry)
Movement: 2
Tech: Penicillin
Upgrades to: None!?!?

Abilities:
- Amphibious promotion (Eliminates combat penalty for attacking from the sea or over a river)
- Embarkation with Defense: Embarked units defend at double strength
- Extra Sight While Embarked

I think it needs to be buffed and there also needs to be an upgrade for it (Special forces?) in the Information Era. I think the buffs should have something to do with its naval-land attack purpose and not just some boring damage buff.

I think it should start with these promotions in addition to the ones it already has:
- +1 movement while embarked
- Pay just 1 movement to move from sea to land (Denmark's bonus)
- Woodsman promotion (Double movement rate through Forest and Jungle)

So, what do you think?

Hi, I'm new to Civ Fanatics and to forums in general. Here's hoping I did this right!:)

The current marine is only used in rare cases. It is a naval-land attack unit of the Atomic Era. Here are the current stats:

Production Cost: 400
Strength: 65 (slightly less than Infantry)
Movement: 2
Tech: Penicillin
Upgrades to: None!?!?

Abilities:
- Amphibious promotion (Eliminates combat penalty for attacking from the sea or over a river)
- Embarkation with Defense: Embarked units defend at double strength
- Extra Sight While Embarked

I think it needs to be buffed and there also needs to be an upgrade for it (Special forces?) in the Information Era. I think the buffs should have something to do with its naval-land attack purpose and not just some boring damage buff.

I think it should start with these promotions in addition to the ones it already has:
- +1 movement while embarked
- Pay just 1 movement to move from sea to land (Denmark's bonus)
- Woodsman promotion (Double movement rate through Forest and Jungle)

So, what do you think?

I like it. Not sure why the marine is so weak. They could get the Songhai bonus in there isnstead of just the movement speed.

I like it. Not sure why the marine is so weak. They could get the Songhai bonus in there isnstead of just the movement speed.

Do you mean War Canoes (Embarked units have double the usual defense strength and see further than a normal embarked unit.)?

That's the whole point! If it's better and actually upgrades to something later, people will be more inclined to use it.

To continue with the Xcom theme, Marines should upgrade into this:

MEC Troopers - Unlocked at Particle Physics

Elite soldiers surgically implanted with cybernetic brain enhancements allowing them to mentally connect with powered armor suits and control them with their thoughts. Due to the large amount of advanced technology required to support a MEC Trooper you cannot train more MEC Troopers than you have research labs.

410 Hammers (Xcoms are 400, GDR is 425)

120 Strength (Xcoms are 100, GDR 150) 2 space ranged attack.

3 moves

Abilities: Automatically returns fire on any attacker within range. Can traverse Mountains as if they were hills.

Top Bottom