1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Negotiating with terrorists?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HawkeyeGS, Mar 31, 2006.

?

Governments should negotiate with terrorists.

1. Agree - post comments

27 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Disagree - post comments

48 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. Kayak

Kayak Partisan

Depends on the terrorist dosn't it and their goal. ETA in Spain can be dealt with and there are others. But as soon as they an ultiamate (non-political) goal, that makes things difficult.

2. PrinceOfLeigh

PrinceOfLeigh Wigan, England

Not working in Israel though is it?

3. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I wouldn't want Homer Simpson negotiating on my behalf. ;

4. Evil Tyrant

Evil Tyrant Eccentric Dictator

Sure we can negotiate with them. It is simple, tell them to surrender or we will destroy them. Those are our terms, take them or leave them. If they refuse, then we will just have to keep killing them.

5. Sidhe

Sidhe Chieftain

Brilliant that's an excellent solution. Do you have any idea how many recruits the IRA got in the year of Bloody Sunday, almost triple the normal numbers, also when the English decided to wipe out a few IRA members to try and stem the terrorist threat, recruitment dpubled or trippled, what your talking about is throwing oil at the fire. Everyone knows the best way to deal with terrorism is not to try and destroy it but to make sure it burns out. Unless of course you mean genocide, in which case you'll find the Islamic Middle East at openly at war with Israel.

6. Evil Tyrant

Evil Tyrant Eccentric Dictator

So much the worse for them,they have already drawn the bloody sword of war, to show them anything but strength and confidence will only encourage them. No, the only negotiations are for their surrender.

7. Kayak

Kayak Partisan

That sounds like a Roman solution to me. What century did you say you were from?

8. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

Amazing how much total lack of understanding there is here....

Do you guys think terrorists do it for fun or just because they are mentally unstable?? :crazyeye:

These people do it for ideological reasons, and whether you agree with them or not, to take an ideological rather than pragmatic stance is asking for total war.

I guess some people don't actually care about solutions... they just care about ideology. The terrorists and most of you guys. :crazyeye:

9. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

If you negotiate with them...you legitimize them.

Plain and simple.

10. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

The IRA's goal was only to secure independence for Northern Ireland, not to impose their fanatic religious views on the UK. The difference is that the IRA can be negotiated with, not like these freaks were fighting in the Middle East.

11. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Kinda funny, the members of nations that have been in contact with terrorism for an extended period of time, let's call them the experts, say "Yes - it is smart to negociate" while the terrorism-rookies (mainly USA) say "NO - it legalizes them and encourages them".

I'll take the expert's word.

12. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Chieftain

ETA was only negotiable because they came from a position of weakness. ETA had next to no popular support, and achieved nothing, despite decades of attacks. They recently disbanded.

Terrorists are really only interested in making demands, otherwise they wouldn't be terrorizing, just negotiating. When terrorists allow for negotiation, it is either because they begin to feel themselves in a position of weakness, or because they are trying to manipulate the negotiation to make more demands and more threats. There are decidedly few terrorist organizations that have "gone legit" and become political parties, and these transformations usually come about after exhaustion.

13. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

Isn't Israel's official policy to not negotiate?

14. Sidhe

Sidhe Chieftain

That says it all really. Do Americans all think like you or are you a minority I truly hope so?

15. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

All Americans don't think like anything in particular. We span the entire religious and political spectrums and frequently argue amongst ourselves about every conceivable topic.

I suspect you could also substitute the word 'Europeans' for 'Americans' in the above statement and it would still be equally true.

16. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

If you're talking about Northern Ireland, I'll say it again: their goal isn't to kill every last Briton and impose some kind of ultra-orthodox Catholic rule on the entire planet.

17. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

The only negotiation governments should have with terrorists, as I see it, is when a government employee pops a couple rounds into their heads. They can surrender, or they can die, those are their only two options.

18. shadowdude

shadowdude cynic in training

Can you give an example of an "expert" country that has been in contact with muslim terrorists for an extended period of time and has successfully completed negociations?

19. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

You are assuming way too much.
    First of all; the question was about "Negotiating with terrorists?" not Muslim terrorists in particular. Secondly the question is about whether governments should negotiate with terrorists or not - not about "only use negotiations when dealing with terrorists".

In the Japanese Embassy hostage crisis in Peru in 1997 negotiations were used to gain time to build a tunnel in case the negotiations itself didn't succeed.

20. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Uhm...as an FYI, negotiaing with the IRA has only basically resulted in the fragmentation of the organization.

There are still sub-groups of the former IRA wishing to do harm to Britain. So, in my opinion, dealing with them doesnt do much good either. Terrorists generally dont keep to their end of the bargain in any event.