Nelson Mandela dies at age of 95

AvalancheMaster

Not the face of mercy.
Nelson Mandela has passed away. I'll leave that here, as I do not have anything else to add.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25249520

South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says.

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.

He had been receiving intense home-based medical care for a lung infection after three months in hospital.

In a statement on South African national TV, Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela had "departed" and was at peace.

BBC News

Nelson Mandela was indeed a great man, and lead a peaceful end to Apartheid when it could have been very bloody.

This.

I don't regard the man as holier-than-thou, and he sure had his flaws, even some violent ideas. But I urge anybody to stay in prison for 27 years for being politically active without having some violent ideas.

Mandela might not be a saint, even a hero, but he sure was a damn practical man that did things in the best way possible. Hats down for you, Mr. Mandela.

EDIT: Oda's post made me rethink my definition of "hero". Yes, Mandela is a hero. Just didn't want to spam the thread with useless posts.

Someone who stay in prison for 27 years for being politically active and still manage, on coming out, to do things in the best way possible and change the world for the better as a result...isn't that a hero?

You don't have to be perfect, to never be wrong, to be a hero - in fact, there's nothing heroic about never getting it wrong. That's called "perfect", and it's best prefaced with "Nobody's". Heroes get things wrong too. They make mistakes. They get horrible ideas. What makes you a hero isn't never getting it wrong: it's those times when you got it right where others wouldn't have.

(Of course, it's possible to get it so wrong, so horribly, where most people would have gotten it right, that you become a monster instead)

I think it can be said of Mandela that, however often he got things wrong, he certainly did get it right when it mattered the most.

RIP Nelson Mandela, hero. Your legacy and spirit shines as a icon of hope for this world.

Reports indicate the US delegation will include President Obama, along with Bush (the lesser), Clinton, Bush (the greater) and Carter. The elder President Bush is frail, but will make the trip if possible. Should make for some excellent photos.

Well, he goes out a winner. Dignified in his suffering, magnanimous in his victory.

I don't regard the man as holier-than-thou, and he sure had his flaws, even some violent ideas. But I urge anybody to stay in prison for 27 years for being politically active without having some violent ideas.

I think what is remarkable about Mandela is that he went into jail during his more violent revolutionary phase and left as a man more at peace and eager to forgive.

Top Bottom