Nerf balls still allowed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bugwar, Oct 9, 2013.

1. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

2. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Sounds good to me. We need to ensure our precious future is kept safe.

3. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I've posted about this before, but the elementary school I went to back in the 90's banned soccer playing (we had a large field), and eventually they even took away the basketball nets, because the balls were deemed to be too dangerous. I really wish I was making that up.

4. BvBPL

As long as they kept the racquetball courts.

5. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

Ah, the eternal lament of the left... “screw freedom, screw responsibility, just keep me safe.”

6. BvBPL

Why would you ever expect elementary school children at recess to be responsible at all? School children at play are the very antithesis of responsibility. The best people can do is attempt to contain the destructive power of 30 eight year-olds.

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Precisely. That's why our teachers were always out there with us. I'd rather have that than be cocooned in a matrix world.

8. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

To me, that is some scary thinking.

Be sure not to let your kids out of the house without their safety helmets, protective facemasks, or without their elbow and knee pads.

They might trip and fall down.
    Think of the trauma that would cause their little minds and bodies.
    Can't have that kind of risk allowed in our precious future generations.

How the old fogeys managed to survive to become adults is a tragic tale of woe, fit only as lessons of how not to raise children in a 'safe' manner.

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Some coddle adults even more than they coddle kids. They advocate for the right of authority figures to spank kids, but get all soft when it comes to the right of an employer to spank a misbehaving employee.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The next generation of North Americans are going to be a bunch of crybaby wussies.

11. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

Which is to say they will all be politically correct.

12. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

That was certainly not the case with my elementary school. Not only did we have basketball courts and an elementary school basketball team, we also had a flag football team with no protective equipment.

We also had ropes that went to the ceiling of a 25-foot high gym, and we were expected to climb them all the way to the top. One day, a new gym rope was installed to double the capacity. But they didn't have time to cut it off above the gym floor. Instead it was left trailing onto the floor mat. I fell from nearly all the way up the rope and landed on the part that was on the mat. It took nearly a month for me to be able to walk on my ankle, and I have had trouble with it ever since.

I'm sure this had much to do with our victory in Vietnam, since kids weren't coddled nearly as much back then.

13. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Yeah, well that implies Port Washington has a budget.

14. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Nerf or nothin', indeed.

15. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

There's truly no better way to prepare your children for the realities of adulthood than to subject them to repeated hits to the head in activities that are advertised as beneficial and uplifting.

16. BvBPL

Except the kids at school aren't your kids. They are the whole community's. Which means there are strong children, average children, and fragile children. The rules need to accommodate the safety of everyone's children.

What you do with your children isn't at question. You can send them out in loincloths with flint spears to fend for themselves for all I care.

17. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

Roger that.

Because some kids are not as well adapted as others, bring all to the lowest common denominator.

Triumph of the Eloi.

18. Labtec600

Labtec600 Emperor

The pussification continues.

19. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

While I don't agree with the decision, you're generally abhorrent in your rhethoric. Weak kids are not swinecattle, they're people too.

What is your problem with this if anything but an idealistic one?

What do the strong kids actually lose from adult supervision?

What pain does this policy cause?

Slippery slope is not an argument btw.

20. metatron

metatron unperson

The point about elementary school recess is for kids to run around, scream, work up a sweat, heck, even fight, before they have to sit still for another 45 minutes (which comes a lot less naturally to elementary school children than the former).
    With this "containing" of "destructive power" you are eliminating the utility of recess.

That you do it from a mindset and ideology that essentially treats children the same way as prison inmates doesn't bode well for either you or the children, even though it may not have immediate consequences here.