1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nervous about buying game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Insigna, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

It doesn't make me wonder why. A lot of people bought the game KNOWING their systems didn't meet the minimum requirements, the game doesn't work on their 6-year-old laptop (or whatever), so now they're selling it.

The game is NOT "buggy as heck" for me- it runs fine, 40+ hours played and the only problem is some slowdown on Large maps, which is to be expected with my older system.

Mystery solved.

2. MetHimPikeHoses

MetHimPikeHoses Unarmed Insurgent

Go buy it. Can't you see the fun everyone's having on the boards right now? You buy it, you'll get your stake in the action. Then you can argue about whose fault it is that things don't work, lag, crash, or flicker. You can get passionate about cleaning your registry and swabbing your swap file. You can point fingers at ATI, nVidia, Firaxis, Microsoft, the e5001.exe, yourself, your fellow civfanatics. Or you can brag that your ancient machine is running it just fine-- no slowdowns at all-- even on ginormous map and 63 civs. But it's all just transitory gibberish until you buy the pony. You know you'll do it sometime... why not now? Join us!

3. muffin_man

muffin_man Chieftain

I'm sure that "bragging" about this is going to earn me a lifetime of crashing, but I have been running this game quite well on a Fry's GQ system that I bought for $149! The game has not crashed once, and i don't have any speed problems. That said, I've turned down some of the graphic features, not for speed, but because I didn't like looking at them. (3 people in a square, and the zoom in for battles thing)

GQ w/AMD Sempron 2200+ -$149 [socket A]
    128mb "stock" + 512mb -$75
    "Mad Dog" Nvidia FX5500 -$79

4. AER

AER Chieftain

Unless you are running FAT32.

I'll believe that it is your hardware when you do a complete wipe and try it from a clean system. Even better, borrow a spare HDD from your company, and do a clean Windows install on that.

As the owner of a PC repair company, you know the answer to this better than anyone. If a person's car isn't working, they take it to the shop. If a person's PC isn't working, they should....take it to be repaired. It may not be their responsibility to repair their own PC, but it is definitely their own fault if they don't ensure that someone does.

How about unecessary programs set to start at startup? Somehow I think that might affect someone's performance. Or do the Weatherbug, resident virus scanner, Winzip quick picker, or 5x copies of the HP Deskjet utility take up no memory and no CPU cycles? While they may not for you, I am sure that they do for many of the other readers that his statement was directed towards.

Yea, and I have had to read statement after statement from PC snobs (like yourself) spouting off about how their system is perfect, and it MUST be a problem with the game. Obviously, many systems have problems. Obviously, the game has problems. I refuse to believe (at least without witnessing a test from a clean Windows install) that these problems are totally insurmountable for the majority of individuals.

The way I read it, he seemed to be directing his statements toward the general public.

How do you know that this is the only game that people are having a problem with? How do you know that these people couldn't be helped instead of just tolerated? You berate this guy for making assumptions, then you make your own.

5. 9mmjustice

9mmjustice Chieftain

I dont think your comp will run the game ,but I found another use for a similar computer

Attached Files:

6. Rhandom

Rhandom Warlord

With those system stats, I wouldn't buy it.

I don't have ANYTHING running in the background of my comp that windows or hardware didn't put there itself. I installed it on a 40 GB hard drive that had one other 4 gb game and about 1gb in back up files and photos, 3% fragmentation. I've got an AMD Athlon 2.6 ghz, 512 mb ram, and a Radeon 256 mb video card.

The game still locks up from time to time, though not as bad as some people I've heard here. Units disappear and reappear from time to time. CTD's are inevitable in the late game.

Ignoring technical issues, the game is not well designed, especially in the end game. Conquest is slower than its ever been. And tech just runs away, even on the "epic" setting - its still very easy to get a tech every 4 turns, even with science settings set very low. Muskets-rifles-infantry-marines can be knocked off in rapid succession, without ever getting to enjoy them.

There are a lot of nice additions to the game, but its not ready for primetime. If you are a civ fanatic, you will want the game and play it no matter how much its a pain in the ass to play. If you are just a guy who loves strategy games, you will quickly look to some of the other, more stable, better playtested offerings that have come out recently.

I'm personally still giving it chance, at least through the first patch. Assuming that the designers even appreciate the problems, which I'm no longer convinced of due to the posts of Sirian. If I could send a message to myself back a couple weeks, I would not have bought the game. But now that I have it, I just want it to work well.

7. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

The game runs perfectly. You cannot blame the game, its your computer that is causing problerms. If it works for others and not for some others it means the game is not flawed. Let me just say this is the best Civ game ever, and please, dont disuade other ppl from buying the game jus because you can't play it. Call tech support for God's sakes and quit whinning.

8. Secarius

Secarius Chieftain

While I have to agree with Venger sentiments, I disagree with the way he says things, which are quite insulting.

You don't pay $50 to a software company for a game that requires you, the end user to:

(1) Find out on your own that the company released a game that has serious issues with ATI video cards and you have to download and execute a program to unpack art files before the game will even install.
    (2) Find out on your own that the disc label "Play Disc" isn't really the play disc -- it’s the other one.
    (3) Having the fun experience of one or more of the following: crashing to desktop; crashing with 60’s era colors and patterns on your screen; immense slow-down in game play during later stages; crashing with complete lock-up; or my all-time favorite, the ever-so-popular, random rebooting of the PC.

Now, I am a PC technician with 26 years of experience working on computers. I am the guy who Runriot’s (the help desk poster) superior would call when they couldn’t figure out a problem. I do know exactly what I’m talking about.

My computers are immaculately maintained, with no excess or unnecessary processes running. There is absolutely no spyware, malware nor viruses on my computer. I do defrag on a regular basis, not for stability’s sake, but for performance. I do exceed the minimum specifications for this game, using an Intel desktop motherboard, an Intel 3.2GHz processor, 2Gb or RAM, an ATI Radeon x800 video card, a SoundBlaster Audigy and more than sufficient hard disk space (over 2Tb at this time). In other words, I am using very mainstream components.

I am also a Civilization fan, having played the game quite regularly over the past 15 years, since the original one came out. I will keep my Civ4 and hope that a patch, or two, fixes it. However…

While the threads on this board have been helpful in getting my game running, it becomes specious logic to say that the game will be great for everyone and/or just wait for the patch.

Truth is, this game was released too soon, without enough testing by the developer or distributor, which is evidenced by its inability to run, as advertised, on completely mainstream systems. Because of this, I (and many others) have unwittingly become beta testers for them – for free. No, scratch that, I’m paying them to test their game…

This becomes even more evident when you consider that I do not have any of these issues with any other game that I’ve recently purchased – some of which have even more stringent specification requirements.

Someone mentioned a class-action lawsuit. I did too in another thread I started – one in which the moderators have apparently deleted (for what reason, I don’t know). There is such a thing as consumer protection. I, the customer, have paid for this game, which doesn’t work as advertised. When we purchase other goods, and they don’t work as advertised, lawsuits can follow, or the manufacturer can issue a recall. Happens all the time outside the software world.

It should not be incumbent upon the customer’s who have purchased this game to effect repairs (unpacking art files, turning off auto-save or cleaning out their cache files) or make radical changes (rolling back video drivers) to their computers. Additionally, it shouldn’t be incumbent on the customer to play the game other than intended (small vs. huge maps).

In light of all of the problems that have arisen, as a result of a defective piece of software that was rushed out the door too soon, it becomes ludicrous to suggest that Take2 and Firaxis have no culpability. It is equally ludicrous to suggest that each person, regardless of their level of computer skills, should fix/make changes to their computers in order to make it work for them – particularly when you consider that some of the recommended changes can actually make the situation worse, either for Civilization IV or worse, for some other program or game that had been previously working.

The fact that one or more of these steps has to be done by a significant percentage of the people of this game is a sure indication of a defective product. It is from this perspective where the possibility of a consumer protection lawsuit arises.

Software programmers, developers and distribution companies need to learn to release their goods when it is truly ready, and not rush it out the door to turn a quick buck – regardless of how popular the title is.

9. ironpawn

ironpawn Chieftain

:rolleyes: well my 3 Athlon XP boxes (Slowest 2.12 ghz) with 1 gig of memory, and with the weakest video card being a 6600gt- they don't like the game at all, I can play any other game I want on those systems, except civ4.
    So your right it must be my systems... :lol: Boy your a bright one

Listening to they way some people here defend Civ4 reminds me of the way people where defending Enterprise, when it was perhaps the worse trek ever.
    You know what happened? People like you defeneded it, the producers refused to see the light until season 4 and then BAM! it got Canceled.

Civ4 is about to join alot of the other last gasp series (i.e Ultima X)

10. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

11. Siggy19

Siggy19 Warlord

Because they SHOULD be able to. If stuff is uninstalled, it shouldn't be there. If it was installed but is not being used (say a virus checker when the system is not connected to the net), it should have nothing more than a stub running.

This game (and EVERY OTHER game) should run on any PC... just slower or faster. It may prove to be unplayable for some people, but it should not crash and it should be relatively easy for those people to upgrade their machines so that the game is playable.

Instead, a hefty proportion of currently available Laptops do not (AND CANNOT BE MADE TO) play the game. For a strategy game that will inevitably be played by a number of 30-40 year old professionals who do not have time to devote to a desktop in the evenings and weekends, but do have odd hours available while they are travelling, this is crazy.

Hardware should be irrelevent... anything that can be done in hardware can be emulated by software apart from polyphonic sounds. Since the main issue is with graphics that are surely just generating a single screenful at a time, which rarely changes dramatically from one frame to another, I simply cannot understand what the problem is. If the developers coded it to generate the image of the full map for each frame irrespective of how much was actually being shown, they need to learn programming from scratch.

I hate incompetent coders.

12. Secarius

Secarius Chieftain

That it runs for you is not relevant. It simply means that you do not have any cause for complaint.

That it doesn't run properly for me, and many other people is completely relevant. That the game is defective is a known fact. Even the devs have admitted as much, indicating that a patch will soon be available to fix "known issues".

I’d bet you would be saying things like this is you experienced the same problems I, and others, have been having.

13. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

You're, as in "you are" is not spelled "your". Take a little more time next time to proofread your idiotic post before you attempt some lameass insult.

My PC is 3 years old, and has a 1.7 G processor P3, 384 megs of Ram, a 40 Gig hard drive with 5 free gigs of space, and a Radeon x800. I have no problems. The problem in most cases is clearly with people's systems, not the game.

Please, don't attempt any more lame insults- you're gonna hurt yourself.

14. Siggy19

Siggy19 Warlord

Irrespective of my comments about whether the game should be as performance intensive as it appears to be... the reviewers are probably hard-core gamers with machines that have the necessary performance. Thus, I doubt that they are in any way being dishonest when they fail to mention many of the problems that we mortal users are having.

Just to clarify my personal situation... I bought the game the day it was released despite knowing that my PC would probably not play it and that my wife and 20 month old daughter would not give me the time to. I am now trying to work out the cheapest, best performing laptop I can buy (and how to con my wife into agreeing to spending money we ain't got).

15. neriana

neriana Warlord

I dare you to find one ATI card owner who hasn't had any problems with games they've bought in the past 5 years. It has to be someone who actually plays modern games, mind you, if the last game they bought was Civ 2, that doesn't cut it. ATI's drivers are a MESS.

Again, I've had fewer problems with Civ 4 than with any other game I've bought in a long, long time. And this is before the patch. I didn't need to use the unpack utility, probably because I use Omega drivers, better than the official Catalyst ones in every way.

16. ironpawn

ironpawn Chieftain

lol, so I can't spell right so what? If you can only come after my spelling, then your standing on pretty questionable ground- go ahead build a house

And I'm sure it isn't the game, thats what they all say... Thats what Microsoft said about XP when they first released it... As for high reviews, I seem to recall Abit's KT7A-RAID KT-133A series mobo's having rave reviews and then having massive recall issues...

17. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

So, your post has little to no credibility. To me.

18. lysander

lysander Warlord

Well I'm an ATI owner who has had no problem with any modern games in recent memory, including Civ 4. It worked perfectly for me out of the box.

19. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Damn... all this 'It lags like hell' stuff is making me unsure about buying it... My specs are a 3.14Ghz processor, 512MB Ram, a 128MB graphics card, and I'm using Windows XP. Will it work on that?
    I don't mean 'work fantastically' I can handle a little slowness. I spent 3 years playing Civ 3 on my old 1.7GhZ, 120MB computer, and though it was slow, I still wasted/invested several hundred hours into it. Although, come to think of it, that may have been because it ran slowly...

20. MetHimPikeHoses

MetHimPikeHoses Unarmed Insurgent

It will work on that rig, Traitorfish. Depending on infinite variables, as you can see from all of these posts, it will run Civ4 fast/slow/reliably/unreliably depending on your setup.

My 2.4Ghz Celeron D can run it playably on Standard maps, and my GeForce FX5200 is nothing to brag about either. The lag is real though... and gets progressively worse as I run through a game.

But am I still playing it... yes... addict.