1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NES Diplomacy Game, again?

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by jalapeno_dude, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jalapeno_dude

jalapeno_dude AKA Panda Judo Eel

Every 6 months or so, someone brings up the idea of having a game of Diplomacy with NESers. It's time to do that again.

Like me, I suspect many NESers are fascinated by Diplomacy; it's the ultimate strategy game, the best possible proving ground of strategic skill. However, no one's managed to get a game going with NESers, despite lots of interest, because people usually want to play a quick, one-day game.

So I'll try the opposite route. We'll be doing a standard game to start off with. Moves will be 2 days apart, though we can cut that down to 1 if people have time. I'll be using jDip to generate maps, and I highly recommend you download it if you're interested in playing.

If you're interested, please post your interest here, and PM me a list of country preferences from 1 to 7. When I get 7 players, I'll assign countries and we can start!

2. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

sounds interesting... i'll work on getting Jdip then

3. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Never played the game before.

4. MjM

MjM Deity

Never played, read all the rules on wikipedia and junk. Looks extremely fun.

5. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I'm considering it just for the "pure fun" of strategy. If I wont play I will lurk.

6. JosefStalinator

JosefStalinator Я буду снова здесь

I tried hosting a game of diplomacy before- most of the players lost interest fairly quickly due to the lack of action :(

7. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I'm right into my Dip kick now; I love the game. (Especially since PBEM and PBPM games don't take a lot of time.) Count me in!

...and I'm actually in a game at lunchtime right now, and we use jDip for adjudication. ;)

EDIT: In relation to the choosing nations: I think that, since this is the only real random element in the game, it should be preserved as purely random. Draw numbers out of a hat or something, but keep it strictly random. The person who gets Italy probably wouldn't want to play as that country, and it wouldn't be on anyone's list, but someone has to do it.

8. jalapeno_dude

I'll consider making it random if the others agree.

Everyone, join!

9. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

I am...interested. I've never played, though, except for reading all the junk on Wikipedia. It looks fairly interesting.

I support making it random.

10. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

downloading jdip now. I'll do whatever.

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

I will join...

12. jalapeno_dude

So I have Dreadnought, Luckymoose, LightFang, Dachsmpg, and Captain2. Just need 2 more people to start.

If more people are interested, I can start another game. It requires very little work on my part.

EDIT: Oh, and I have 3 sets of country preferences, so the rest of you (LuckyMoose and LightFang) should send them if you care at all what you are.

13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Hope this starts :) I LOVE diplomacy!

14. MjM

MjM Deity

15. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

okay, how does this work? i think i downloaded it but nothing really happened

16. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Jal will you post the map after every turn? With both moves and final version? And this is NOT gunboat right?

Also, I think every two days is good, which means the game will only be like a month at most.

17. jalapeno_dude

Yes, I will. I'll also post the jDip file. It's not gunboat--do all the secret diplo you want. :)

@Captain2: you need to run the installation. Then run jDip.jar. You can create a new game and mess around with possible moves, though it probably isn't useful until you know your country.

Speaking of which, I still need country preferences (Mjm?) and more people to join. If you're one of the first seven to send country preferences, you're in.

18. MjM

MjM Deity

19. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Wow, I'd be in this in a heartbeat if I wasn't running my own NES and in 3 others, too. I need to read the rules, too.

Consider me in for the second game.

20. The Farow

The Farow NESer

I will watch how the first game works and join in the second game if there is one.

I always wanted the game but the problem is getting six people to sit down for several hours to play in my family :)