NES Idea Thread 2: Citizenry, Popular Support, Religion, and Subordinates

Metaliturtle

Apolyton Original NESser
I find all these things very interesting and very under-used in most NESes, which is why I am extremely pumped to see their emergence now.

Reading most NESes, you get the sense from the various authors (myself included) that the people of their country have the same mind as the ruler. There are very few Civil Wars that are not brought about by one player wanting a country that is already under control of another player. War weariness, if present, is just a minus to a stat that can be circumvented by overproduction of forces. Economic downturn is only caused by military buildup or creation of a wonder.

If a player truly wants the feel of ruling a nation, they should be willing to give in to what the people want. Even the most tyrannical leader needs support of a good amount of his population if he wants to live to not be assassinated.

My proposal to get the feel of this is to have certain players be the "citizenry" of a continent, so there's like 20 nations in Europe, well if there is a war, a player has to submit to the belief of another player as to the Just-ness of the war. So, for example, italy invades france to prove it has better cuizine, the European population probably wouldn't be overly supportive, unless there was extreme debate over the issue in which it looks like war was a last resort effort. Additionally, if France is sneak attacked by, Switzerland, for example, The citizenry could say that the French people are out for revenge but the Swiss are indifferent to the war.

On to Popular Support...
Now players can and will have to in some cases "spend one econ" on raising support for the war effort, and as the war progresses, costs for raising support will increase exponentially, making war weariness VERY visible.

So Religion, cool concept
It's very cool to see religion play a role in a NES for once, one thing that I think is key though is for Religion to have an influence over population, but no direct control (unless it's pre-renaissance when bishops etc. actually led armies) or if one wishes to establish a papal state.

Subordinates
Having other players be officers is a sweet idea, and I will have more to say on this after I've played it out a bit more, but this promises to be a very cool way to NES without having to deal so much with diplomacy.

What are your guys' thoughts, I will edit this post to include them.

2 players for one nation is IMO a bad idea. i think as more player(nations) as more fun.

yes population should be a much bigger factor in nes, especialy in democratic ruled nations. but only a mod could be a fair population. other players would vote biased.

Im trying to bring religion and popular support into my NES which Im starting though having no previous experience it could go wrong or maybe its a good thing because Im not so limited (shameless advertising ;-))

I think having players play as the 'citizenry' would be a bit complex because there are decisions not only about the 'justness' of a war but also economic policies of which there are many, so this should just be done by the mod.

I'm currently writing up a system of NES rules similar to North King's StNNES2 rules, but more elaborate. The additions that I make should address at least some of your concerns.

Popular support is gained or lost through how well the player defends his position. Rather than just "telling stories", the player has to write up speeches and such justifying his actions. The better the speeches, the more his people will follow him. Popular support means a lot during wartime, because if your people don't support the war, you have to deal with desertions and draft men into your army.
If your nation is a democracy, then a loss of popular support can cause a change in ruler. When an election year rolls around the player will have to think up another persona and act differently, conforming to the wishes of his people.

So, you don't artificially "spend econ" to get support, you have to earn it through good administration and rhetoric.

A few good ideas there. Popular support would be hard but cool to implement. But you shouldn't be able to just spend an econ on it and make people like it.

Religion... Well, that's going to play a major role in my next NES, I think. In fact (unless I do the space NES I was planning to do), it will be one of the most important factors in the game.

Subordinates is a decent idea, as long as both players agree to it. It worked pretty well in my original NES...

If I ever brought back Absolution I would incorporate some of this.

(I only consider it because it was rideeculously easy to update, only taking like 20 minutes at most. But I'm not sure at all.)

If you bring back absolution bring it back at 'poly

no bring it back at CFC! I just today was reading it again :) Was fun to read and to remember that it was fun to play :)

Top Bottom