NES Looking for Players

EQandcivfanatic

Zailing Captain
Retired Moderator
My initial thought was to go with a generic "Open NESes" sort of thread, but hey, decided to test the waters first, by selfishly plugging only my NES, Capto Iugulum. Frankly, I hope people follow suit, both you all advertising among the NES forum, and vice versa.

Main Thread, Rules

The Background Thread, Originally the Creation Thread

Why is this here? After reading through multiple Imperium OffTopicums, I have to say, they're pretty awesome. Also, that they're very, very similar to what NESes used to be in the majority from 2002-2004. I've been moderating NESes since the forum launched in 2002, and based on what I've seen here, I think my current NES may be a good fit for some of you, and thus I was motivated by various NESers and IOTers to get the word out here to bring in new blood.

Aren't All NESers Jerks? Yes we are. Every single one of us is as likely to smile at you as they are to stab you in the back multiple times. What I can say though, with a few possible exceptions, this is all in the terms of the politics of an NES, at least in my NESes. I never tolerate personal vendettas in an NES and have been known to bar people from certain nations if I feel they are likely to let personal feelings override the nation. Regardless, in an NES, it's madness to trust anyone for very long, unless you can be sure that they will have interests that will lap with you. Admittedly though, there are some folks that are actually sincere and honest, but THOSE are the ones you got to look out for.

How is Your NES different than what I'm used to here? Well look for yourself at the links above for the actual details of the differences. The short answer: It's a lot more complex than your average IOT. Not good or bad, just different. IOTs revolve around more basic combat systems and province by province warfare, as well as being fairly freeform from the beginning. My NES, Capto Iugulum, has already established nations with back stories, and histories.The NES is more geared to creative tactics and warfare, rather than just focusing on key provinces. Unusually, it also allows for broader strategies, and allowing your NPC folks to handle everything. In an IOT, from what I can tell, your cheif opponents are other players. In the NES, you will have to face both other players and the demands and whims of your own people, as simulated by a complex generator, as well as the occasional randomly generated event. Updates arrive weekly, every Wednesday or Thrusday. Beyond those, there's plenty of other differences.

How is your NES the same to what I'm used to here? As before, take a look at the rules and so forth, and you'll realize that in a technical sense of stats and rules, absolutely nothing is the same. The similarities come in the terms of actual play. The diplomacy is the key to it all, interacting with other players while building an empire or nation.

Both IOT and NES are about playing politics and nations, and while they handle them in very different ways, I hope that some of you will take a look at what I've got to offer. If you have any questions or want recommendations on what nation to play, I will take any questions over AIM or Private Message. Other than that, take a look at the links at the top of the post.

EQ is a pretty cool guy, guys. You should join his game. He blew up Constantinople with the Tunguska meteor.

As a non-traditional export to both forums, I advertise Core (which is actually more of a story than a game). Don't expect anything remotely like an IOT. Or to rule a country. Still fun, though.

I'll read through the thread and consider it, but I don't know if I have enough time to play a NES at the moment.

After being jaded with the political mess up in Tani's IOT, I don't think I have the energy.

As the guy who plays Hungary in this game, I highly recommend it.
I also recommend the NES that's in my sig, but that's just me.

I would like to add my recommendation of this NES into this discussion.

EDIT: The above NES is also good.

As a tip, EQ is OK with answering questions, but don't rely on him answering fast if you need it for your orders (as he said so himself-just send them in)-ask early, ask often. Of course, most of us are OK with questions so feel free at throwing me or any other mod a PM or VM of interest.

EDITEDIT: Of course, my NES is also pretty good, and I also modulate the challenge based on investment. If you want a lot of culture and debating, I will offer that. Want warfare? I will offer that as well. If you are mostly quiet, I am willing to keep it quiet, poking your nation every other turn in case you want to be active again. As for rules, you can just do what Chrisos is doing; send all into armies and attack everyone-all the way to 2PMs some sent. However much you want to invest, I am willing to adjust for you.

EDITEDITEDIT: Can't resist the urge to add more. :p. Basically, we're about 2/3 the way through this era in the transition between the early and full-on Bronze Age. The next update will feature lots of barbarian migrations and collapsing civilizations due to war and simple fatigue, so if you want to reserve a spot for a almost-new culture, PM me before next wednesday the 15th and I can make a barbaric tribe with the desired traits to migrate to that spot (especially in Europe). I am adding more "guidelines" and adjusting the rules a bit as we go on, but most of it won't affect anyone because I am saving the shattering changes for the Post-award update 20.

If it encourages any IOTer here (which it probably doesn't), both AA and I are joining Capto Iugulum on the next update.

As further encouragement, the Great War is about to start in Europe. Lots of death and demise to take place soon, probably.

It's also entirely my fault for abandoning the game instead of hanging around as Poland and reforging the Polak-Swede alliance of yore like LoE wanted to.

I was thinking, should I make a new thread to advertise my thread, or should I ask EQ if it would be cool to advertise my NES here.

Then I decided that I'm just going to post a link to My NES and say damn the consequences.

At the very least my game is nothing like EQ's game. In the first place my NES is still at the dawn of the Iron Age, and past that my rules are very different from EQ's. Simple rules, easy to figure out and very easy to send orders and get bonuses for writing stories. Updates have been consistent and on schedule since 2011.

I would recommend all three NESes in my signature.

Also, Zelet, WW1 is beginning. Five or six nations have declared war on the Spanish Empire so far. Soon, it will turn into a even war that would drag and drag onwards. Who thought that a crisis over Naples as well as over Venezuela would cause World War One on that game?

I don't think calling it world-war one makes sense... the Atlantic War makes much more sense- but this is the wrong thread for that kind of talk. ;)

I would recommend all three NESes in my signature.

Also, Zelet, WW1 is beginning. Five or six nations have declared war on the Spanish Empire so far. Soon, it will turn into a even war that would drag and drag onwards. Who thought that a crisis over Naples as well as over Venezuela would cause World War One on that game?

It's just the Spanish Empire versus six nations? That's not a world war, that's a curb stomp

EQ said:
Aren't All NESers Jerks? Yes we are. Every single one of us is as likely to smile at you as they are to stab you in the back multiple times.

*coughcoughamonsavagcoughcough* :p
I also joined Capto Iugulum, and that's going to be my 3rd NES, the other two being SKNES (which still has a few NPCs and some land to use) and Core (which is just character RP and no nations, but it's still fun).

*coughcoughamonsavagcoughcough* :p
I also joined Capto Iugulum, and that's going to be my 3rd NES, the other two being SKNES (which still has a few NPCs and some land to use) and Core (which is just character RP and no nations, but it's still fun).

Now that I have been a mod of a nation he plays, I honestly do think Amon is God.

I'd join it, but I'm not comfortable joining games already started. I'll wait until some interesting fresh game appears.

Top Bottom