Netherlands AI - weird trade

snoproblem

Chieftain
I'm playing Gajah Mada in a game heavy with AI's that are strong in economics, the Netherlands among them. William I offered GP for Incense, but I noticed he had surplus wine - 3 units worth. I counter-offered to trade 1-for-1 my incense for his wine, and he refused! I wound up settling for the original GP offer.

That's a first for me, most AI's readily trade goods instead of GP. Is it a Netherlands quirk, what gives? :confused:

ai that hates you will agree to more and more skewed trade deals
Also happens if you're running away with the game- you go from base research agreement to also having to pay 100 gold, 10 GPT, and usually a resource or two.

The game considers GP for luxury items a downgrade? I tend to think the opposite i.e. 'cash on the barrel'. For instance, I just renewed a deal with Harun Al Rashid where he offered 108 GP up front plus 4 GP per turn for 20 turns in return for my surplus unit of silver. Luxury Item-for-Luxury Item has its perks, but GP is more versatile, yes? Note that Arabia is currently 'friendly' while the Netherlands is 'neutral'.

hm... that's also odd- AI tend to pay max 7 GPT for luxuries. Maybe Harun is under happiness issues?

Also happens if you're running away with the game- you go from base research agreement to also having to pay 100 gold, 10 GPT, and usually a resource or two.
nope that depends on the difference in tech, and is exclusive to research agreements.
The game considers GP for luxury items a downgrade? I tend to think the opposite i.e. 'cash on the barrel'. For instance, I just renewed a deal with Harun Al Rashid where he offered 108 GP up front plus 4 GP per turn for 20 turns in return for my surplus unit of silver. Luxury Item-for-Luxury Item has its perks, but GP is more versatile, yes? Note that Arabia is currently 'friendly' while the Netherlands is 'neutral'.
So you're playing on quick speed huh.
trade ai values luxuries more, yes. that way they can value your luxes less and their luxes more without getting too complicated, and happiness actually matters more than gold until very late game.
And that deal with Arabia is normal since you're friends with him. A lux trade with a good friend (i.e. not backstabbing ones) will give 240 gold on standard speed (200 gold on quick), and your deal is 108+(20x4)=188 gold, completely normal.

Top Bottom