Netherlands' battle for World Supremacy(Demi-God)

Well, hopefully the war will put enough drain on them that they willl have to stop building cultural improvements. Also, once you have Flight and then later on better and better planes, you can bomb his cities to uncultured ruin.

1600AD - We succeed in replanting our spy in Sumeria.

IT - The Sumerians are building the United Nations!

1605AD - We can again afford to steal. We succeed and take flight! Time to prepare our assault task force. Portugese Guarda falls easily. I fear I won't get much more training out of Henry, he is down to 2 cities.

William is planning his campaign in his war room with the usual advisors. The landing site has been chosen.

We will land a huge SOD on the hill by Kuara. Hopefully since the Arabs and Mayans still form a barrier to this place, he will not be able to attack us effectively. We will then shell Kuara, and storm in with as much firepower as our cavalry can muster. We will raze and replace with a settler, and as soon as possible found an airfield. Then we will push forward and take the fight to Gilgamesh.

What do we need in the taskforce?

Initial inventory estimates are:
24 artillery
6 flak
15 infantry
The three cavalry armies (with 4 cav each)
1 settler
1 worker
10 additional cavalry

That is 12 transports protected by as many ships as we can muster. We have 4 transports and 3 destroyers at the moment. We are building 1 cruiser, 10 destroyers and 8 transports. So that will be enough for the fleet. We already have the cavalry, the infantry, the artillery and the worker. We are building a settler, so we just need to build the flak as well. Now I have queued the flak orders.

IT - The Ottomans, our good buddy Osman, jave signed peace with Sumeria. You traitorous expletive, expletive. We were all in this together. There is a Sumerian raiding party of three destroyers and a transport near Lagos.

1610AD - We redline the whole fleet from a shore artillery bombardment, and then sink teo destroyers with ours. First naval victory is our Gilgamesh.

Iron and horses gets the Osman back into the fray against Gilgamesh. This war isn't over until I say it is Gilgamesh.

We also spy 4 Portugese Carracks just off the coast from Amsterdam, so another of our destroyers sends one to the bottom. Alcacer do Sal falls to a couple of elite cav attacks.

IT - Sumeria and Maya have signed a peace treaty! And we lose a silks supply.

1615AD - We have the cash for a steal attempt. We succeed and take mass production. Flight and mass production gets us electronics and silks from the Mayans. Oil brings Smokey back into the fight against the evil Gilgamesh, and we get incense thrown in!

Henry is down to one city. Everyone else is at war with Gilgamesh. We are only down tanks before the modern era. Area/pop is 36/40 vs 20/28. Sumerian culture is 84110. We have 6 destroyers, 4 transports and 0 flak. If we get tanks before we sail, then so much the better. The cav armies will still book a place though.

Another Carrack joins his mate, though a bit further up the coast. We also finish off the Sumerian raiding party. We have a go at Henry's last city, but don't quite have enough to take it.

1620AD - 6 destroyers, 5 transports. Another Carrack sunk. Gergovia will be the staging point for loading our task force, because you can get to the destination in two turns from there. Everywhere else it takes three.

On the Portugese front, err what front...

1625AD - We fail on a steal, but the agent escaped unharmed. We are close to tanks, I can smell them!

biggamer132 said:
Well, hopefully the war will put enough drain on them that they willl have to stop building cultural improvements. Also, once you have Flight and then later on better and better planes, you can bomb his cities to uncultured ruin.
Yes, I normally like keeping cities, but this time around, I'll be taking settlers with me. Everything gets razed except maybe where Sun Tzus and Leos are. If we get to precision bombing, it might be fun to destroy some culture buildings that way as well!

Finally,

Now we need to keep 1000gp in the bank to ensure we get the bonus 50gpt.

1630AD - 8 destroyers, 7 transports, 1 flak.

IT - The Sumerians have another raiding party near the old Portugese island, but we can not get forces into position to attack.

1635AD - We fail in an attempt to steal, but the agent gets away unharmed. 9 destroyers, 7 transports, 1 flak.

IT - The Sumerians land a Mech Infantry (singular) on old Portugal.

1640AD - Our artillery redlines the Mech, our knight army finishes him. Phew.

IT - Another Summerian raising party (3 destroyers, one transport) is seen north of old Portugal penninsular.

1645AD -

Our agent was caught on this steal attempt, and after our earlier run, I thought we might catch up shorthly.

1650AD - 9 transports, 12 destroyers, 5 flak. I don't mind being one flak short, but I need the extra transport, and it has to get to Gergovia. We replant our agent in Ur.

1655AD - We have the required force, now they just need to all get to the collection point, and operation liberation can commence. We lost a destroyer in destroyer to destroyer action by portugal. Our agent was caught again!

IT - The Sumerians have landed two tanks on Portugal.

1660AD - Our attempt to plant a spy failed. The Sumerian tanks are successfully disposed of by the three artillery, two bombers, and the knight army.

1665AD - Our attempt ot replant a spy failed.

IT - Summeria completes the UN.

1670AD - Our agent was caught again.

IT - Maya and Sumeria have signed a peace treaty.

1675AD - The Mayans are back in for the price of Oil. Our bombers sink three Sumerian destroyers after a search and find effort by a fighter.

1680AD - We get our spy back into Ur and steal tanks. We steal again and take computers (Mech inf). Third attempt, our agent is caught again. The task force has set sail and will arrive on the next turm Even though we now have mechs and tanks, we are going with the original contingent to establish the beachhead as quickly as possible. Replacements will be arriving in the way of tanks and mechs soon enough (we hope).

IT - Our SOD was attacked by a single bomber, and an empty transport on our coast was sink by a destroyer.

1685AD - We sorted out the destroyer by bombing it, and then our destroyer sank it. We have arrived by Kuara. Inside the city are three mechs, a TOW, an artillery and two bombers.

IT - The reason for the flak becomes clear as we are bombed, but we shoot down 2.

1690AD - Our turn now, Gilgamesh! All our artillery can not quite redline everything. The first cavalry army attacks and just kills a yellow lined mech. The second cavalry army has a lot more luck with the second yellow lined mech, and still has 7hp left (1st has only 1hp). The third cavalry army dies on a yellow lined mech, but redlines it. The second cav army then finishes the job. Finally a vet cav has to deal with a redlined TOW.

We have our beachhead.

In the right hand corner is the all conquering, the mighty, the villianous fascist Gilgamesh, leader of the Sumerians. He single handedly took on the world's second and third ranked powers (Maya and Arabia) and crushed them to a pulp! (Our army is rated strong against both now, but weak to the Sumerians of course). He has the home town advantage (his continent, his strategic railnet in place), Hoover, demigod production bonus and a far stronger military right now.

In the left hand corner is the challenger. the minnow with a roar, King William of the Dutch. He lives on a far away continent, resource poor with only 3 of the worlds 8 great luxury goods (the Sumerians have spent most of the game with a native access to at least 4), trailing in tech, and with a much weaker, on paper, military. The power chart shows how this will indeed be the battle of the titans, the other powers are rapidly becomming irrelevant.

So why then is this the billing of the century, and not another one sided slaughter? Well, the AI is darn right stupid! He won't even see us coming until we are burning down the house in Ur! On the other hand, he has the culture clock well and truly up and running. He is at 94135 of the 130000 needed for a cultural vistory, all Gilgamesh has to do is hold out the invader long enough, and this victory will simply clock over for him. And what options does William have? Space? He can't even remember the last time he researched something, or even what research is. The sword is mightier than the pen. Diplomatic? He would have to conquer the UN. The UN was built in Zabalam, right next to the capital Ur in the very heartland of the Sumerian empire. That option is no different to all out war. Culture? 19000 is not going to become twice 94000 and then over 130000 anytime soon, so don't hold your breath on that one. No the only option is all out war!

William has 39/46 area/pop to Gilgamesh's 23/33. Domination can be achieved with a few more border expansions, all of Sumerian lands and maybe a couple of cities off someone else...

The plan for the next stage of this conflict is simple. Here is the map of our beach head position.

Destroying Kuada (size 19 city) gave us 9 slaves. One gave his life to the Dutch empire by turning into an airfield on the ruins of Kuada. Three more have already roaded the field to our new city Gouda. Over the next two - three turns we will be sending every tank and mech inf unit that rolls out of the factory over to this airfield. We will also be reinforcing our artillery with our entire airforce, and another dozen or so artillery pieces, since 24 was insufficient to redline even the minimum four unit defence on an outpost city. This done, our force will move to just south of Tulum, which the artillery can reach and fire on in a single turn. Tulum will then be hammered by our force of modern units opening the gateway to Sumeria. And then it is simply an all out brawl with the culture clock ticking away in the background. The faster we can smash Sumerian cities, the slower the clock will tick.

Stay tuned.

I am sure Gilgamesh must be shaking in his boots now. We have two tanks and four mech infantry on his continent now - our whole inventory.

IT - The Arabs and Sumerians sign peace. Are you getting desperate Gilgamesh? For saltpeter they are back in the action! We started this together, and we are going to finish it together. Abu declares peace again? How does that happen?

The Summerians capture Uxmal, just south of Tulum, and now can attack Gouda directly. Just as well we are on a hill. We shoot down one bomber, but are hit by about three others. We fend off two Sumerian mech infantry attacking Gouda. Two of our inf die from tank attack. A tank dies attacking the mech inf on the airfield. Six damaged Sumerian units are left within range of our counter!

We see a Sumerian raiding party as it crosses our supply line in the pacific (the big ocean between the two continents seperating Georgovia and Gouda).

1695AD - The situation at the beachhead -

The Pacific fight: The Sumerians again have three destroyers and a transport. We have the bulk of our navy in the area, and definitely want to see more Sumerian ships in Davy Jones Locker! Our cruiser attacks first, thinking that would be an easy way to pare down the numbers. We thought wrong! Down one cruiser, but the destroyer is redlined. Five of our destroyers move into the fray and bombard the other two healthy enemy destroyers, yellowlining them (one shot missed). Now the odds are stacked in our favour. An elite destroyer sinks one! We lose a vet destroyer, then another, against a redlined destroyer! Three more of our destroyers join the battle, and it is goodnight to the rest of the Sumerian fleet. Sometimes the PRNG is not fair. We lost a cruiser and two destroyers and sank three destroyers and a transport. ALl battles were odds stacked in our favour. Oh well.

At the beachhead - Four artillery fire at the Sumerians, and now every unit is redlined. Six bombers clean up the mess. We join our worker and two Sumerian workers into Gouda, and then whip the barracks. We are going to need it! The fighter over there is put on air superiority mission.

We get the Arabs back in the fight again for saltpeter. We also do a trade embargo against the Sumerians. I don't know if this makes any difference, since they are at war now anyway.

The reinforcements issue: I think we are going to come under serious attack next interturn. The Sumerians have opened the door. They now have 45 tanks and 202 mech inf, and with their capturing of Uxmal, the whole lot could come charging through at us! I doubt they will, but you never know. We use our artillery to destroy transit improvements. We should see him coming, and get a chance to kill his units in the open, before they get to us, now I think (and hope).

We need defence more than attack. The airways are reserved for more mechs. The tanks can go by boat.

OK, round one - on land we killed 9-2, on the sea we killed 4-3 and in the air it is 1-0. What have you got to show us in the interturn.

IT - About 5 bombers attacked and we destroyed one, and that was it! The Maya got somewhat more brutalised, they lost Mayapan to the north of Gouda. Obviously, the AI chose the many easy targets offered by the Mayans and the Arabs. This isn't what I want. The others only have infantry and are being pushed aside. I have mech infantry, and know how to use combined arms. I need to give the AI some incentive to come back and attack me. We are a little spoilt for choice on first city to attack now.

1700AD - We realise that our path to the Sumerians needs the rail I destroyed last move, so we move out three of our slaves to road a connection so that we will be able to move artillery into range of any of these new Sumerian holdings, and fire same turn. The workers are protected by 6 artillery, 3 flak and 8 fortified mech infantry. Our bombers have ensured that the only way to attack them is basically over a river (it is actually possible to cross the river first). Hopefully this will draw some action and enable a killing ground. Of course it is possible that the Summerians can sweep this aside.

We fly in about another 8 mechs. Our supply has come from massive upgrading of infantry units, this has been why there have been no steal attempts recently. When last we stole tech, it looked like Gilgamesh was only up rocketry and fission. We will want these soon, but the upgrade effort seems more important. More artillery, tanks, settlers are delivered by boat. The passageway across the pacific seems reasonably safe at the moment.

Round two just adds 1-0 in the air. Lets see if Gilgamesh wants to play this interturn.

IT - We only got hit by about four bombers at Gouda. We shot down one.

1705AD - Uxmal is guarded by two mech infantry only. Time to go on the offensive! We want more action, Golgamesh. We advance the six artillery up to bring Uxmal into range. We also bring up a cavalry army to get the benefit of sighting. It takes a further three artillery to redline these two units (nine artillery used in all). Four bombers later, the coast is clear. We drive a mech inf into the unprotected city and decide to keep the size one city.

Mayapan has 3 vet mechs, two damaged mechs and a damaged tank. We can move artillery into range and fire here as well! We move the cavalry army up to sight Mayapan and also spot a SOD of 3 artillery and 6 mech infantry. We advance up the remainder of our artillery. 14 units are enough to redline all the defenders in Mayapan. The remainder of our bombers kill three mech infs. Three tanks finish off the defence, and Mayapan is ours. We decide to keep it as it is only size two.

We merge two more Sumerian slaves into Gouda and whip the harbour. This will permanently connect one one luxury good to our empire. We protect our new holdings as best we can and wait for the retaliation.

Our new holdings:

IT - The Sumerians lose a bunch of units - it happened too fast to keep track - they attacked with mech inf across a river at Mayapan, also used some tanks. Eventually Mayapan fell, but there are a lot of wounded units, and they are in the open!

Remeber, if your war doesnt go too well, and if the sumerians are about to have a victory, you can always resort to a ROP rape. This will destroy your rep for the duration of the game but your already really powerful and you wont need it as much. But if properly planned, it will destroy them in a single turn. If you dont have nukes by the time they are almost at a victory, ROP raping is the way to go. I have used this to great effect in all my games.

If you're going for Domination victory, you might as well divert one of your shipments of tanks to the Ottomans little island to gain yet more teritory- easy meat. Just get all your allies to fight them with you, so you don't wind up fighting the Mayans & Arabs- not that they could afford to divert troops away from Sumeria anyway.

Turkey might not be Sand's best bet, since he's gifted them with enough tech to at least have infantry, and probably Siphali. Besides, Turkey's not the culture whore in this game, Sumeria is. Keep pushing into Sumeria, precision bomb cities to destroy cultural improvements, and do an RoP rape if needed, like the other guy said.

Thanks for the continuing feedback Warman, earendil, Corsair and biggamer. On the Turkey shoot out, I would have to agree with biggamer. At this point I can not afford even one boat load of tanks to send over there, and besides Osman's whole island is puny - barely worth 3 or 4% land area. The only reason to invade is if I want to go conquest instead of domination. No the game will be won or lost against Gilgamesh.

On the other hand all is far from lost against Gil. We still hold 2 of our 3 cities around the beachhead, and after all I wanted him to come out and fight. If we can hold on, Gil is going to lose a big chunk of his forces over the next few turns, and then maybe the situation will start looking a bit different.

The RoP rape is an interesting idea. It would mean that we would have to go to peace with Gil. The advantage would be access deep in his territory to his cities. At the moment I don't think access to his cities is the issue. The sheer number of troops that he can put in the field is.

Anyway, on with the story! In what became known as the battle of Mayapan, the clash of the titans would surely be met. Here is the situation after the IT.

SE of Mayapan is a little force of six units of mine - 2 elite tanks, 3 mechs and an inf. East of that force is my main force with 26 artillery, 6 mech inf, 1 inf, a tank and a cavalry army (for sighting). The rest of my forces are further back at the moment.

Gil has one mech inf in Mayapan. To the immediate east of Mayapan a SOD of 9 mech inf and 12 tanks (3 elite). To the NE of Mayapan he has 8 mech inf and 12 tanks (3 more elite). In the jungle this side of the Mayapan river he has 2 mech inf, an elite tank and an artillery. Actually that artillery was mine. It got there through a misclick on my part. Because that square is roaded and not railed, I could not even fire the artillery piece! On the other side of the Mayapan river N of my main force he has two mechs and an elite* tank. And to the N of that he has 3 artillery (his own this time) and six mech inf. So that is 26 tanks out of his total 44, and 28 mechs out of 205, plus four artillery. He is obviously taking the Dutch threat seriously now.

OK, we need to smash as many units as possible, get him to attack our SOD and lose many units, and also not lose all that artillery. I would like to stop Uxmal from being assaulted until it has had time to finish those walls. The other cavalry army comes out of Gouda and pillages the road north of Uxmal mountain.

Main force artillery attacks the SOD NW of it - we finally redline all the mechs! The artillery is insufficient to redline all the tanks, however, so we bring up the reserve that was used last turn on Uxmal - about another 7 pieces. There are 11 tanks not yet redlined (2 with 4 hp, 4 on 3 hp, 5 on 2hp, 1 oh 1 hp). We also want to really dislodge the force on our side of the Mayapan. So we use the rest of the artillery there - the mech are fortified and still 3/4. We lose two tanks, but are able to smash this force of two mechs and an elite tank, recapturing our artillery. This artillery joins his mates in the main force, and immediately scores two hits on the defending tank to the NW.

The force by Mayapan joins the main force. A transport with a load of tanks is able to drive straight into Gouda, rather than unload from sea. This gives the tanks their full movement this turn! They advance to the main force. The bombers have not gone in yet. I would like the enemy down to 1hp, so that the bomber will kill on a successful run. Therefore we send in the tanks against the defending tanks, unfortified, in the open, but across the Mayapan River (there is no other way to do it). Our first vet tank tank smashes a 4 hp elite without taking damage. He is sent in again against the other 4hp elite. Success! We then use an elite tank 4/5 with one hp left, and

Can you say tank army?
We use another 4/5 elite and the same thing happens! Another army for sure. We now have 1hp mechs showing. Time for the bombers to star. It is a clean sweep - nine from nine runs! Now there are only 7 tanks left in that SOD. We lose three tanks, get two promotions, and then that SOD is no more. There are insufficient units to contemplate another assault so we pull back.

We have cut the Sumerians down to 31 tanks and 194 mechs. We pillage the road to either side of our main force. This means that any attempt to get to us must either go through the main force, or push through forest at the sides. This will of course leave it open to our assault on our turn. In the process we reveal yet another Summerian mini SOD. Just NW of the last SOD is another 3 artillery, 2 mech infs and 4 TOW.

We drain Uxmal of most of its defenders, because I am fairly certain it can not be attacked. The main force is reinforced with as many mech inf as can advance up - some 20 in total, all fortified, and only able to be attacked across a river. Our cavalry army guards the wounded tank that claimed the final unit on our side of the Mayapan River. I guess we will see if armies really are impervious to being attacked! We bring up more reinforcements, and finish upgrading all infantry units that all on this continent to mech inf (we needed the harbour completed in order to do this).

Another nervous interturn awaits! Final end of turn situation at Mayapan:

IT - Gil shows his true colours. His artillery attacks the cavalry army, a destroyer attacks a couple of ours watching as sentinels, and that is it. The Sumerians should be yellow. not light blue! Gil's net gain after his production phase and whatever he lost against his other enemies is 1 tank and 4 mechs.

1715AD - Gil has put 2 more mechs into Mayapan, but he also removed the other SOD. Our goal this turn will be to take some of his artillery and retake Mayapan. Sumerian culture is at 97350. We are at 40/46, Sumeria at 24/33.

We redline all units in Mayapan, and of the six mechs guarding the SOD within artillery range, 3 are redlined, 3 are yellowlined. Not bad results, time for the airforce. We start at Mayapan. The result 3 from seven clears the city. One mech infantry wanders in and takes Mayapan.

Bombers kill two of the SODs yellowlined mechs, then new artillery rolls up and redlines the other one. Four redlined mechs stand in the way of capturing three Sumerian artillery pieces. An elite tank kills one, then a vet tank dies. We decide to fill (with 3 vets) on of the armies, forming the first tank army. Three shots later the artillery is now Dutch! It is immediately turned on its former owners.

We put three tanks into the other army, forming the second tank army. As these tanks have to move into jungle, they are unable to attack the SOD this turn. The plan remains to attack Tulum with our artillery, but also for our armies to duck off and take Marad. The front:

biggamer132 said:
Turkey might not be Sand's best bet, since he's gifted them with enough tech to at least have infantry, and probably Siphali. Besides, Turkey's not the culture whore in this game, Sumeria is. Keep pushing into Sumeria, precision bomb cities to destroy cultural improvements, and do an RoP rape if needed, like the other guy said.

I agree, diverting somes troops to Turkey could give him a little (very little) boost but its not worth the effort and if any major resistance was to happen while attacking and Turkey becomes a pain then he should continue to put full attention in Sumeria since they are his bigger threat. Its better to wait after Sumeria if we are going for domination

I also agree on having lots of precision bombs on Sumerian cities for possible cultural improvement destruction.

Keep up the good work Sandman :goodjob:

Thanks for the input WeaponX. Just one thing, you guys keep talking about precision bombing of cultural buildings like it is an option currently. It is not. You need stealth bombers and smart weapons to do that - I lack 7 techs. Gil doesn't have them either, yet AFAIK. I will actually be a little surprised if Gil ever has enough tech to get there, so I would have to start doing my own research at some point. I don't even have a single university in my entire empire, and while Amsterdam does have a library many of my core cities do not, so there would have to be a big knowledge infrastructure push to get there. I can't see that happening in the immediate future, not when masses of military in the field is the order of the day. We only have 294 out of an allowed 492 units! I would like to be a lot closer to that value before doing much self research.

Gil has at least two techs that we don't - rocketry and fission - and maybe more now. We have almost finished the upgrade circuit, so we will back stealing soon.

Anyway, back ot the war! Thw two elite* tanks move up so they can join the two tank armies next turn. Our workers move up to reroad north of Uxmal mountain. Gil's inventory - 32 tanks, 189 mech inf, 12 TOW, 7 bombers, 42 destroyers, and a few other things. I wonder what his navy is up to?

IT - Gil attacks our two sentinel destroyers in the Atlantic and sinks both. One bomber attacks our tank armies. Two tanks an a mech attack my mini SOD with the workers north of Uxmal mountain. We lose one mech, but kill the attacking force.

1720AD - Our artillery advances up to within range of teh SUmerian mini SOD with mechs, TOW and artillery. If Gil want sto leave prizes for us to collect, then we accept the challengs. Our artillery redlines all the defenders. Bombers take out all six defenders in six runs.

Attack on Marad - Our first bomber destroyers a Sumerian bomber on the ground. The rest of the bombers can only score a single hit on one of the mech infs guarding there. We advance the now 6 ex Sumerian artillery into range for next turn. The tank armies advance so they can strike twice next turn as well.

We are equal in tank numbers now at 30 each. Of course, we will use ours better than Gil will use his. On mechs, Gil still has 189 vs 102, and we don't have TOW, while Gil has 7.

IT - Nothing.

1725AD - Seige of Marad - Marad is a coastal, size 11 city generating culture. If we left it alone, it would give Gil a back door to our troops, so there are two reasons to see it fall. We have 6 artillery in range, and our 10 bomber fleet. Then two tank armies and two vet tanks. The artillery rings out and claims only 3 hp. After the bombing runs, the strongest unit showing is a 2hp mech inf. The two armies are equal to the task and Marad is razed. A settler is moved into position to found next turn. It is then that I realise that the existing roadways will enable an assault of Tulum this turn instead of waiting for our reroading effort to finish. As mentioned previously, Tulum provides something of a gateway to the bulk of the Sumerian cities.

Seige of Tulum - The second cavalry army advances to provide sighting for the artillery barrages. 29 artillery are able to be moved into position, and fire this turn. Tulum is a size 10 city with no cultural expansion, so this time we are unlikely to be slowing the Sumerian culture growth, but we still need Tulum for the access it provides our forces strategically. Tulum is guarded by three vet mech infs and a conscript. We redline all but two of the vets from our artillery - it takes a lot of artillery to smash fortified mechs in a city. We now have only tanks to be able to send in. One successful attack gains a promotion, and reveals a vet tank. The destruction of that tank reveals a damaged elite tank - we send in an elite of our own. Success! Then the 1hp conscript mech shows. Another elite in. Our first casualty promotes the conscript to a 2hp reg. Our second casualty promotes the defender to a 2hp vet. Two more successes but we are out of available tank attacks, except by a reg unit. So the choices are the full strength 18hp second cavalry army, the reg tank or vet mechs. Lets see if the old horses can still pull off a few tricks. One shot and Tulum falls. As it has no Sumerian culture and was recently Mayan, we will keep it. All the people are Mayan - it has a barracks and under communism is actually quite productive. I think it may prove to be a good choice to keep it. ALthough maybe I should fear a culture flip to the Mayans.

This gateway that is Tulum works both ways. We are now exposed to all of the Sumerian forces being able to attack us. We need to reduce the pathways so that at most they can only attack our reinforced position. Although if the Mayan city of Calakmul ot the north falls in the interturn, our careful planning may prove futile. The cavalry army pillages the rail in the jungle to the SE. Then the last artillery piece within range destroys the road. Now the Sumerians have two rail lines that will enable forces to attack Tulum, but no further (unless Tulum falls). There are some workers building what is probably a road, that if it completed would be a problem, so we need to capture tham, even though it exposes a mech to attack. It will be in jungle, so the mech would be unfortified, but with jungle bonus. Do we send in a bunch, so the cost of taking the position is such that the SUmerians may try, but it will cost them? Or do we sacrifice one mech, just to stop the road? We reinforce Tulum with 18 mechs and fortify. We add a further two from the airfield, and reinforce the artillery. I don't think that Gil can reach the artillery, but better to be safe than sorry.

We gained four workers from Tulum, but interestingly none are Sumerian. They start repairing infrastructure near Gouda. We also gain an artillery piece.

The front

Manscura will be within range of our artillery to move and fire next turn (assuming Tulum survives). We then have several cities in both directions on the border of the great continental sea that have no cultural expansion and so are easy prey for the artillery/tank combo. Just to the east of this picture is the Sumerian core! If we can raze that soon, we will be well on the way to defeating the Summerian culture time bomb!

We still have over 3000gp, so I decide to try a steal attempt. We succeed and take rocketry. It appears that the Sumerians have not yet learnt another tech, but they are studying miniaturisation. This doesn't help with the precision bombing requirements, but does help towards Robotics and the very useful radar artillery! We are now just down fission.

IT - Tulum, as expected comes under huge attack. But sensible use of combined arms is not done. We win 18-1!! In the fierce fighting six units are promoted to elite! The sacrificial mech also dies, so I guess that is really 18-2. Three bombers attack our cavalry army, so he still has some of those.

The Summerians have started the Internet, so he must have finished miniaturisation as well. More to steal soon.

1730AD - Great news! The glorious battle of Tulum hurt the Summerians badly. Our military is now rated average against them! We haven't really slowed his culture growth yet, though and he is at 99255 of the 130000 he needs.

The evil Sumerians have a raiding party just north of Portugal (3 destroyers and a transport). No doubt up to no good. We lose two destroyers attacking with what little navy we have in the area. Not a good result. We whip a tank in Enschede to give us some offensive power against the inevitable invasion.

In other naval action, we find a carrier group (1 carrier and three destroyers) trying to move into a position to threaten Gouda. Our first destroyer sinks the carrier and is promoted! We then sink the remaining three destroyers making it a clean sweep in the Pacific action.

Seige of Mansura - upon investigating the city, I find it is guarded by two mech infs, but also has three destroyers and a transport. These boats are only able to access the internal sea. Perhaps this is why we didn't see too much of his shipping (so far at least). The Sumerians also apparently only have one rubber source connected, although according to my map he has other sources, perhaps the Arabs disconnected one, and the yellow Gil is hiding all his workers in cities so won't reconnect. Perhaps this is an opportunity to stem the flow of replacement tanks and mechs. Without rubber he would only be able to make TOW, an dwithout the two movement, my tanks would have the opportunity to retreat in a losing battle. Gil also has 4 luxuries. It would be nice to remove one or more of this supply. I can not see a way to do that this turn though. The first cavalry army advances to sight the city. Seven pieces of artillery are required to redline both mechs. Two elite tank battles later it is all over. We keep the city as it has no Sumerian culture.

In clean up action three tanks destroy two mechs and a tank, capturing two workers.

Seige of Aden - Aden is protected by one mech and one TOW with no less than 6 destroyers and one transport hiding there. After redlining the mechs, my bombers seem to be attacking the ships. Seems a waste of bomber runs - send in the tanks. We lose two tanks in the assault, but claim Aden. In the clean up we see another tank beyond Aden, and destroy it as well.

Muscat is hard to get to and almost irrelevant. Perhaps teh arabs will be able to take it back! We plan our assault on Akshak. Due to culture we can not get into position for at least two full turns, if we are to use the artillery (which would be wise at this point). We also need to remove some infrastructure to cut down the enemies routes of attack.

Well, at least you can do regular bombings, and it's obviously working for you. Besides, if you do take out and are able to hold his rubber source, you can reduce him to ground troops and ultimately gain the advantage. Besides, what government type is Gil in, anyway? If he's in a Democracy, he must be suffering a hell of alot of war weariness.

hm, you sounded surprised that the Ottomans had Nationalism already. remember they're a scientific civ, so when you gave them all the middle ages techs, they jumped to industrial and got a free tech - in this case, nationalism.

Maybe if you have the extra military force or cities on the west side of your main containent, you could send some over and take a couple of Sumerian cities on they east tip of their containent as a distraction. This could force Gil into spliting is forces up instead of just sending all of them to the west where you are attacking. Even if the cities are lost you still would be taking cities in the west much easier since he has to split them up.

But since Gil is still winning the science race maybe you main containent cities should be pumping out more reasearch boosting buildings.

Biggamer - Gil is in fascism, and has been for quite a while.

hm, you sounded surprised that the Ottomans had Nationalism already. remember they're a scientific civ, so when you gave them all the middle ages techs, they jumped to industrial and got a free tech - in this case, nationalism.

You are right of course, narmox, scientific civ.

WeaponX - I too have considered a second landing, and still am in fact. To this point I have wanted to reduce the points where the Sumerians can counterattack as much as possible so my defence is not spread thin, hence getting the fantastic 18-1 kill ratio when he threw everything at the heavily fortified Tulum.

The rapid gains we have made in the last couple of turns have been because the cities we attacked had no cultural expansion, and therefore it was easy to move artillery within range and fire same turn, ensuring weakened defences. Now at Akshak we face significant culture, so progress will be slower.

Top Bottom