1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Netherlands' battle for World Supremacy(Demi-God)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Sandman2003, May 29, 2004.

1. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

We are soon going to need to consider strategies for keeping the pace of capturing cities with significant culture moving. The emphasis on the build orders is going to change a little from just tanks and the odd mech, now to more bombers, start building armies, and also a few cruise missiles. The missiles are one use wonders, but with range four, a handful can give a similar result to an artillery barrage, but without the need to wait for slow artillery to advance to within range. Of course if Gil reseaches radar artillery, that would be nice too!

Rotterdam can build armies in seven turns. The cities with airports are switched to building bombers (most were building tanks). A couple of sites are now building cruise missiles. Dordrecht is founded. We have advanced a SOD one tile into Akshak's territory. It will take another turn to get this into position, and then another before the artillery can strike Akshak. Meanwhile, our base of ops has moved to Tulum. We have moved the bombers up, and the flak, plus we are using the barracks there to repair troops.

IT - My suspicions about the AI's use of air power seem well founded. It appears that the AI uses bombers to attack other bombers on the ground, and armies. Three bombers attacked Tulum, and all three were shot down by our flak. One bomber attacked our SOD approaching Akshak, probably because a cavalry army is there - no flak available there this time, though. Gil now only has one bomber left. My paranoia over where Gil can attack seems justified. His units have pushed through where there used to be infrastructure (and now there are craters), in an attempt to get to my more poorly defended rear areas. In the process he has left a bunch of units out in the open to be slaughtered!

1735AD - Gil's units are a lot easier to kill when there are out in the open. The other bit of news is that he hasn't landed anything on Portugal this turn, although his raider fleet is still in range. Of the two visible Sumerian SODs, the one by Tulum has two mechs and two tanks. The one by Mansura has six mechs, two tanks. 12 artillery attack the first SOD, 17 the second. Our advancing SOD now has a further 32 artillery pieces, but none can be spared to slow the advance. Therefore, these units are not all redlined, but they are out in the open, unfortified! The smaller SOD is readily dispatched with bombers finishing the mechs, and tanks taking out the tanks. On the second SOD, we run out of bombers before killing a single mech, but they are all yellowlined. Then a tank is shown, so our elite dispatches it. A vet tank dies to a 2 hp mech. We decide to use a tank army. It costs 9hp to kill three yellowlined mechs! It takes three more tanks to finish the remaining defenders, no further losses.

IT - Not much. The Zulus make peace, and it seems the Mayans have researched Amphibious War. Marines, big deal! The Sumerians sink one of two transports headed around my coast in case I need to reinforce Portugal.

1740AD - The Sumerian destroyer is bombarded twice by our destroyers and then sunk by a third. Our force is now within range of Akshak. I investigate the city. It is building culture at 33 per turn, has 4 mechs defending, and does have rubber. So we were not able to disconnect his supply after all. Gil is on 100485 culture now, less than 30000 to go. Must be around 600-700 cpt. 33 should help a bit!

Seige of Akshak - 32 artillery are enought to redline two and yellowline two of the mechs. The bombers finish redlining the enemy, and also destroy the barracks, temple, marketplace anf finally one mech. That is the end result of 14 bomber runs! We use ordinary vet tanks in the attack, losing two. It turns out that Akshak has Smith's. Smith's is huge for us, so I am going to risk keeping the city. I will have to be careful with what I leave in there! We start manufacturing workes to help strip population as fast as possible. Income has just jumped over 200 gpt!

The Sumerians have captured 5 cities up the remianing Mayan penninsular. These have zero cultural expansions, and are in range of our artillery move and fire strategy. We may as well take them. The Mayan penninsular -

We can stem the floe of reinforcements to this area if we take Piedras Negras, so we concentrate our efforts there first.

Seige of Piedras Negras - The city is defended by one mech and one TOW. We have 29 artillery able to strike. It only takes six to redline the defenders. Two tanks take the city with no losses. We keep it, since it is now size one, and has no Sumerian culture.

Seige of Uaxactun - Another eight artillery are used to reline the two mechs in the city. A vet tank kills a redlined tank on the city outskirts, and then takes out the first mech earning a promotion! A second tank takes the city. It is size one with a single Mayan citizen!

Tikal is now brought into range of our artillery. Again our investigation reveals two mechs defending this size 6 city.

Seige of Tikal - It takes twelve artillery this time. Again two tanks, no losses and Tikal is liberated. This city now has five Mayan residents, no resistors. We will starve them out. anyway.

We investigate Palenque. It has a mech, a TOW, a tank and the last Sumerian bomber. We still have unfired tank armies, so we decide to push on for one more. There are only three unfired artillery left! As we approach Palenque, we uncover a huge Sumerian SOD camped on a hill near the city. There are 10 mechs, a TOW and four tanks in this SOD.

Decisions, decisions. Do we still attack? Do we use the remainder of the artillery? How are we going to defend our positions after this attack?

2. biggamer132

biggamer132 King

Well, once you take the city, you could rush walls and other defensive improvements.

3. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

First up , I have changed my mind on Smith's. The flip risk is too great. This was a third tier city, and we simply can not afford it to return to Sumerian hands. We rush a settler to Akshak, then abandon and refound. Goodbye 200gpt, hello Leerdam.

Next, do we still attack? Hell, yes! But on approaching the city with a fully healthy second tank army we run into three more Sumerian tanks. We have to destroy these in order to get to the city. Three vet tanks do the job, but at least one will remain exposed at turns end, because it had to 'attack' two Sumerian workers to ge to the tanks, and so used up its movement.

Seige of Palenque - We use the tank army first, but it costs 6 hp to eliminate the vet TOW. Then we try a vet tank on the conscript mech. We lose promoting the mech. We use the tank army again - down to 9hp. Finally a vet tank finishes the defending tank and Palenque is ours. In the process, the last Sumerian bomber is destroyed.

We use the remaining artillery to injure a lone Sumerian tank on a mountain near Piedas Negras, and then finish that job with a vet tank. Then we reinforce our four exposed cities with mechs - about eight are available for each of Palenque, Tikal, Piedas Negras and Leerdam. Then we use the cavalry armies and the tank army to pillage Sumerian infrastructure to cut down his avenues of attack.

Finally, we have the cash for a steal attempt, so we have a go and take Fission. Gil is still two techs ahead, because he has researched space flight and miniaturisation, and is studying Superconductors. Why can't he go down the weapons paths?

IT - As expected, the Sumerian units come swarming, especially around Palenque. The defense holds taking a heavy toll on the Sumerians - about 10-1, giving us a MGL on defence. However, the Sumerians also kill two of our exposed tanks and some Mayan units. There are also minor Sumerian incursions near Piedas Negras and Leerdam.

1745AD - Sumerian culture is now 101067, so he made 582 culture that turn. At this rate, he is exactly 50 turns from a culture victory. We are at 44/50 dom stats vs Sumeria's 20/31.

There are 6 mechs, 3 tanks and one TOW around Palenque still. We will ensure the destruction of these, before moving on to our next target.

We catch up with the Sumerian raiding party from around Portugal as it tries to head into the Pacific. We have seven destroyers at hand, and they exact their revenge 4-0.

We send a heap of artillery to Palenque, and redline all the Sumerian units with shots to spare. Our leader, Dirck Hartog, becomes another army to be filled with tanks when they are available. We use an elite tank first - a mech and a TOW are destroyed. Then we fill our new army with 4 vet tanks, and christen it the third tank army. We reserve its use for the moment. Normal tanks can do the mop up, the army will be used on the last Sumerian city on this Mayan peninsular. We lose one tank in the clean up, but also get two promotions.

Seige of Bonampak - Bonampak is defended by a mech and a TOW - both easily redlined by the remaining artillery. The third tank army makes easy work of the remainder to take the city.

Bombers destroy the five units involved in the incursions around Leerdam and Piedras Negras. Now to our advance. Bad-tibira is the next target. It is a size 24, second ring Sumerian city, and we can set up an artillery barrage for the next turn. The Sumerians are down to 13 tanks and 143 mech infantry, with enough other stuff to still be ranked equal to us.

The world at this point:

Our artillery stack of around 32 artillery units is advanced so that Bad-tibira is in range for next turn. Also in range is the fishing village of Kua. Both have significant culture attached. We protect the SOD with about nine mechs and wait for the onslaught to start anew.

IT - Piedras Negras comes under attack, but survives. We spot another raiding fleet in the Pacific.

1750AD - We win the battle in the pacific 3-2 (destroyers) the transport lives to sail another day. Bad-tibira is protected by five mechs and a tank.

Seige of Bad-tibira - size 24, 15cpt city. The artillery is more than enough to redline all. The available bombers kill three units, then the tanks go in. We lose three, and the defending mech is promoted. The order is passed back to the tank army to adavnce and destroy the defending mech. Then one more elite tank victory and Bad-tibira falls. It is immediately razed!

The artillery is still in range to attack Kua next turn. We clean up some Sumerian units again by Piedras Negras. We again try a steal, but our agent was caught!

4. Yom

Yom Re-ese Mekwanint

:goodjob: Great story :D.

5. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

I've noticed your Portugese cities have no culture expansion- you should build some libraries/temples methinks. Anyway, why does Sumeria have such a small airforce?

6. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

Thanks Yom.

Yes, actually the Portugese cities have periodically started building temples and the like, but then they are threatened by the Sumerian raiding fleets, so I swap to military and rush. But you are right it would help to get some culture expansions there. On the airforce, I have noticed that the when the AI gets a new tech with military units, there is a rush to build that new unit, but it treats the unit as archaic once the next military tech is researched. So, there is an initial rush to build fighters and bombers, then when the AI have tanks, no more get built (except the Americans who build their UU when it becomes availabe). Maybe when stealth comes in they will build stealth fighters and bombers. As to Sumeria, I shot down a lot of bombers earlier with my anti-air. (Just an aside, they do seem to differentiate tanks as an attacking unit to mechs as a defensive unit, so Sumeria continues to build both - shame they can't apply this logic to air units as well).

Would it make much difference if Sumeria was continuing to build planes? At this point I don't think so. I have enough anti-air in the field to make any air campaigns against my positions expensive.

7. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Perhaps they can distinguish becaused of the editor flags "offense" and "defense" ;).

8. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

IT - The usual movement around the Leerdam - Piedras Negras border. Mayan units have joined us at this front, so clearly we have completed halted the Sumerian advance against Maya. It also seems that Gil prefers the softer Mayan targets of marines and infantry to our battle hardened troops!

1752AD - We successfully replant our spy in Ur. Sumerian culture 101654 - so in spite of destroying Bad-tibira, he has increased cpt to 587. Kua is just guarded by three mechs.

Seige of Kua - the artillery easily redline the defenders, but we lose one tank in the assault. We keep the city for long enough to plant a settler on the spot, before abandoning and refounding. Hilversum is founded.

In the cleanup by Leerdam will lose two tanks but gain an MGL, Henry Hudson. Yes, I think another tank army is in order - the fourth. Four tank armies give you a lot of punch. I am thinking now of splitting the attack into a faster moving army push, with the artillery moving to an alternate target.

We investigate Erech, another second ring city:

So he has built Apollo as well, as if the culture win wasn't going to be enough for him, he wants to do it by space as well! A 20cpt city - well worth raining doom upon.

We investigate Lagash as well - a first ring city. Here we find the intelligence agency and Sistines for 22 cpt. Also a fighter, 4 artillery and 5 mechs. OK, these cities are our new targets - a full speed army rush to Erech, to attack in 1754AD, and the artillery to advance on Lagash, to attack 1756AD.

The front:

I have just realised that because the Mayan units are in the way (when will Smokey learn), I can only get three armies within range this turn, and then they will only have one attack each, so we will have to delay the Erech campaign to 1756AD. I don't think that I will renew Smokey's ROP next time around! We lose a bomber to a Sumerian fighter.

IT - The Sumerian pushes are becoming weaker. I see only 4 Sumerian units pushing into the front now.

1754AD - We found Roosendaal on the site of former Akshak. We clean up the incursion, costing a tank, and prepare for next turns seiges. Finally we successfully steal and take space flight (in case he starts building nukes, not that Gil has built the Manhattan project yet).

IT - A Mayan SOD on the front lines comes under heavy Sumerian fire, but a few units survive. The Sumerians sink my sub.

1756AD - Seige of Erech - As dawn breaks, heralding the new year, the citizens of Erech are struck by a new weapon. Cruise missiles come hurtling out of the sky. The first destroys the fighter squadron based there, making the city safe for our bombers at attack! The rest (another 5) just take a few hp off the many mechs defending there. After the bombing run, the civil defense is destroyed, but the best defender is still a three hp mech. The damage is not quite enough. In the feirce battles that follow, we lose a tank army , and the other three are severely wounded, but finally we bust through and Erech falls. We keep for the moment, hoping to abandon and refound with a settler on the spot. This is possible, and so New Amsterdam is founded on the spot.

Seige of Lagash - We lose one bomber to a fighter, then the next two bombers destroy the fighter. The best defender after the artillery and bombers is a yellowlined mech. The assault is very bloody. We lose about 7 or 8 tanks in the firefight, but finally the size 31 city falls. Lagash is abandoned and New Rotterdam founded in its place.

We now have six native resources, because the borders of New Amsterdam include an incense resource. Also both Ur, the capital of Sumeria, and Zabalam, the home of the UN are tantalisingly close.

It is also possible that the move into Erech has finally taken over the Sumerian's last source of rubber, for real this time. We decide to check. We will want to know what is in Ur sooner or later, anyway, so we investigate now. And here is the proof:

Of couse the 11 fortified mech infantry with a civil defence will be very tough, and look at all those wonders!

9. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

This game is throwing up options now. For the first time there is a clear and straightforward way to a Dutch victory. We simply need to take Zabalam, capturing the UN, hold until elections and then a diplomatic victory would surely be ours. My opponent would be Gil, 3 of the 4 other civs are at war with him, and they won't vote for someone they are at war with. Of course, now that we have denied him rubber (and I have checked, he has none anywhere else in his available lands, or readily within his reach to capture), his military might will start to crumble as he finishes his current builds. The best unit he will be able to build will be TOW. Since TOW have move one, my tanks and mechs can retreat from them, improving surviveability. Also, while TOW are quite strng, they are a lot less powerful than mechs! So clearly the more interesting path of the military win remains viable! And of course, I doubt you readers want to see this thing fissile into a diplomatic win after all this good warring (please correct me if I am wrong in that assumption!)

So if we continue on the warring path we have options. New Amsterdam provides a gateway to the conquered Zulu/Arabian lands. Here the cities have no culture expansion allowing easy access and rapid progress against the enemy. Alternatively, New Rotterdam places an artillery strike capability within one turn of both Ur and Zabalam. Striking here would of course be the biggest hit against Sumerian culture, but I would have to say that I am now a lot less concerned about Sumerian culture. There has been a significant slowdown evident over the last couple of turns. Sumerian culture is now 102196, which suggests that it is going up by about 300 cpt, rather than nearly 600, so we have a lot more time on the culture clock.

So the benefits of pushing south are we remove the Sumerian productive base faster, and push ourselves towards the domination target that much faster. Attacking Zabalam will remove any risk (almost non-existent at the moment) of losing by diplomatic victory. Attacking Ur will take a lot of units, but will eliminate Hoovers and all the extra bonus to all of Gils factories.

Again, decisions, decisions, no wonder this game is so addictive.

We can not push any further this turn - we are out of available resources. So we will set up our defence, especially around New Amsterdam, and the last Sumerian rubber source, and decide next turn.

IT - Shoot the author, after carefully destroying Sumerian infrastructure to weaken their counterattack, I find that I left a tank army exposed! We lose a second tank army! We also lose a destroyer in the pacific. Also, the Sumerians provide another reason to push south. They have captured another Arab city, opening another gate to our own borders, just south of Aden.

1758D - The destroyer is avenged. We clean up three invading Sumerian mechs, including avenging the killer of our tank army! We investigate Tugela. It has 3 mechs defending, building a TOW, still no sign of rubber resource! We decide to push south and take Tugela. Between the artillery and the bombers, the defence is destroyed and a single mech takes the city!

We advance on the aptly named Shiraz - it has a wine resource. The artillery and bombers destroy two mechs leaving one redlined mech. One shot from an elite tank and Shiraz joins the Dutch!

Anjar is the next city down the coast - only two mech defenders. Two tanks finish the job started by our artillery. Taking Anjar also destroyed three destroyers.

There are now six of Gil's remaining 15 tanks visible in the general Aden to Anjar area at the foot of the Great Sea.

10. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

And then out popped a few more:

So maybe to complete this turn I will settle for the destruction of the exposewd units, the capture of Baghdad and ensuring I have protected my new holdings! I have redlined everything in sight, including the mechs defending Baghdad, and we still have (a little) artillery left! We drag even partly injured tanks into the melee, and in the battle of the Great Sea we take Baghdad, and all the previously visible units, but reveal some more still. Our defences will be spread quite thin this turn, but on the other hand, Gil's ability to attack is also being severely weakened. Our military is finally rated strong against him for the first time ever.

IT - The Sumerians come asking for peace. They should be begging. They refuse to even put cities or technology on the table. As if we would accept anyway. Their destroyers attack ours, but our stack wins 3-1. The rest of the action is around Baghdad. We lose a tank, but kill four units. Some minor territory incursions are up near Roosendaal.

1760AD - We steal successfully and take miniaturisation. Gil is still up sateliites and superconductors. We steal again and take satellites. Gil is studying Nuclear Power. He is obviously researching towrads the space ship. That does mean that he must eventually research robotics (radar artillery) and synthetic fibres (modern armour) for me. Such weapons would definitely improve the go forward in this campaign.

Khurasan falls easy to our artillery plus tank combo. That plus the clean up around Baghdad eliminates six more enemy units.

Seige of Bapedi - There are no less than 5 mechs defending this size seven city, but the artillery is equal to the task. We send in a tank army. Two down, three to go. We then use an elite tank that just wins. Finally we call in our other surviving tank army, and

Since the inhabitants are mainly Mayan, and it is a small city, and of course, Sun Tzu, we keep it.

Seige of Intombe - It is only a size on ecity, but it is defended by a mech and a TOW. Two tanks later, Intombe is turned into rubble! We put a settler on the spot to refound next turn. The next targets are right on the Atlantic coast.

11. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

The interesting thing is the AI is clever enough to still build ships, so why can't the same logic apply to the airforce as well?

12. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

The south atlantic coastal town of Merw is size one, protected by two mechs, but sitting in the harbour are three destroyers and a transport. A great opportunity to inflict some damage on Gil's navy. Merw requires two tanks, and is autorazed, taking the ships with it.

There are four more cities that could potentially be taken using this rapid roll up the artillery, fire and bring oin the tanks all in one turn strategy. These are the ex-Zulu lands, before Gil kicked the Zulu off this continent. We are out of puff this turn, but next year we will finish off these cities, and then return to the core! We will need more settlers! We also realise that this means that we can rebase the bombers in the south to aid in these action, because we will have a turn in limbo prior to the assaults on Ur and Zabalam.

IT - There is much fighting amongst thw Sumerians and the Mayans, but nothing attacks the Dutch! A stupid Mayan infantry end up in the spot I wanted to use not this turn, but next for our attack on Ur and Zabalam.

1762AD - New the Hague is founded. In bomber action in the north, we destroy three lose Sumerian units, but lose one to a fighter attack. Our first built army arrives in the new territories and forms the fifth tank army. (Well actually the third, but you know what I mean)

Seige of Isandlwana - The city is protected by three mechs and a TOW. Interestingly it is making a jet fighter. Maybe given the lack of rubber, this is considered non-archaic? I also note that at least some of Gil's cities are down to 3 luxuries. This must be hurting. After a bunch of very ineffective shots with the artillery, I realise the city is on a hill. We finally manage to redline all with the artillery. The available bombers can only kill two mechs, but also enough population to drop the city to size 6. We decide to use an army to budge the resilient mech remaining. The army is sufficient to the task, and we keep the mixed population city. Only two of the remaining 5 citizens are Sumerian.

Seige of Zimbabwe - This city has four mechs and a tank, and is also building jet fighters. After redlining the units, we lose one tank in the firefights before Zimbabwe joins the Dutch. It has the Temple of Artemis, the Great Wall and JS Bach's Cathedral. The size seven city has three Sumerians who will be starved off.

Two down, two to go, but insufficient artillery to make a good go of it. SO we will delay our plans a turn, and finish the other two next turn. Summerian culture 102883. Domination stats - Dutch 49/56, Sumeria 15/24.

IT - Sumeria is definitely building TOW and Jets. He now has 20 TOW and 2 jet fighters, and zero tanks. A group of nine TOW are threatening newly liberated Zimbabwe. The Mayans and Arabs are sending settlers out to claim land that the Dutch have cleared of Sumerians! The Mayans claimed Merw's old site!

1764AD - In the clean up of 11 TOW we lose a bomber and a tank.

Seige of Ulundi - An easy three tank conquer, no casualties.

Seige of Swazi - Also an easy three tank victory. But the city is size 11 and full of Sumerians, so we should abandon, however no settlers are currently spare for the job.

We steal Superconductors off the Sumerians. We are now at tech parity!

1766AD - The stupid Mayans have moved in my way again, so I need to chose either Zabalam or Ur. Zabalam will be easier so we will strike there first. An investigation reveals that there are 5 mechs, two TOW, a fighter and 3 artillery. The city has the UN, but also has Newtons. Shame it has to go! New Utrecht is founded in a big gap in old Zululand.

A huge force pushes into Sumeria near Zabalam.

IT - Sumerian TOW units attack some Mayan units.

1768AD - Seige of Zabalam - Two cruise missiles are sent in first, destroying the fighter squadron there. Then it is the turn of the masses of artillery units. Afte the units are redlined the bombers strike. One is lost to a jet fighter out of Ur. By the time the rest are finished there is one 1hp TOW left. An elite tank rakes the city. It has been reduced to size 6 due to the bombing, and the cultural borders do not connect with the rest of the Netherlands at this point.

The northern front:

13. biggamer132

biggamer132 King

The Sumerians have lost half their territory and their tech advantage. They also have come to a cultural crawl and are unable to fully replace most of their units. Looks like you've crippled them. Wait, is that unconnected uranium I see by New Rotterdam?

14. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

Well, it's in Sumerian territory, so he'd need to take out a few cities before he can get it in a colony.

15. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

I don't need uranium in a colony, I have plenty of my own, Corsair.
    Yes, Biggamer, I think I have, however, the battle for Ur will still be huge due to the eleven mechs defending (at last count). I don't think that was the Sumerian's last uranium source, im any event. He has no tanks left, and can not produxe more mechs, so he is producing TOW and jet fighters. The TOW are being killed as fats as they enter the battle. The jets, on the other hand, won't help him that much, but they may reduce the effectiveness of my bombers.

16. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

The streets of Ur were deserted in what was the apparent calm before the storm. There were rumours flying everywhere of a huge force amassing at their doorsteps. Concern was high amongst the citizens. Even Gil was clearly distraught at the news of the fall of Zabalam. He had had high hopes for the mighty UN building, but now those hopes were dashed. In a public address he tried to reassure the citizens. "The defences of Ur are like nothing the Dutch have come across. They will hold, and prove the bloody finale for the invader," claimed Gilgamesh.

And while the 11 fortified mech defenders are double or more the force encountered anywhere else, what Gil doesn't realise is that there were no less than 29 artillery that were not even fired at Zabalam in the whitewash there. Gil's great last stand is still two turns away, because the Dutch need to reposition forces (because of Smokey getting in the way - that seems to be becoming a habit).

1770AD - All our force around Zabalam, including the three newly captured artillery from Zabalam itself is consolidated into a position just north of Ur mountain. We say goodbye to Zabalam, and the annoying prospect of a diplomatic victory. It is now a pile of rubble. Cleaning up a few exposed TOW units costs us two bombers lost to jet fighters. We need to preserve these for Ur, so we let a couple of TOW escape our assault.

IT - The Mayans and Sumerians sign peace.

1772AD - It looks like Smokey has picked up motorised transport (tanks) in the peace deal with Gil, and he is now furious with me. I don't want a two front war just at the moment, so oil buys him back into the war. He also might trade rubber to Gil, and we can't have that now can we? This deal makes him polite with us again.

The attack on Ur. Our equipment inventory for this battle is:
    71 artillery in range
    3 tank armies
    2 cavalry armies (I don't think they will feature though)
    13 mech infantry
    5 Mobile SAM
    33 tanks
    14 cruise missiles
    28 bombers

We will use the cruise missiles to take out air defences, then attack with artillery, then the bombers, then maybe more cruise missiles depending on level of damage to the defenders, then attack the strongest defenders with tank armies, then the tanks.

Of course we investigate Ur before the attack. It cost 285 gold, but is well worth it. Gil stupidly removed a TOW defender, leaving 10 mech infantry, two artillery and only one jet fighter. It is time to rumble. (Culture 61 per turn!!)

Two cruise missiles destroy the jet squadron. Then the massive prolonged shelling starts. At the end of this the defenders are at most sitting with two hps, at least one is done to one hp. Then the skies start raining bombs. There are explosions everywhere, citizens perish, the temple goes up in flames, the civil defence explodes, the market place is gone, there is no more courthouse, and 6 more units are reduced to the redline. At most there are 3 defenders with 2hps and the rest with 1 now. We decide to press with further missile strikes. Two strikes later, everything is howing as redlined! Cruise missiles have lethal bombard so we will use a few more, but it takes about four more missiles to get a destroyed unit. One more attempt also fails. Ok, time for the tanks. The armies get first dibs, and they rapidly destroy six defenders. between them. There should be about four left. Four vet tanks attack, and

The mighty Ur is now a pile of ruin! Gilgamesh has fled to Sumer just to the south.

17. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Congrats on taking Ur :).

18. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

We lose a couple of tanks cleaning up some TOW intruders near Roosendaal. The once mighty Sumerian military now has just 65 mechs and 10 TOW. Victory status:

It looks like Gil's land plus some cultural expansions are all I will need for domination victory, assuming that Smokey and Abu behave themselves!

Our first built army has arrived in New rotterdam, and it is filled with four vet tanks to become the sixth tank army (only four in the field now, though). We once again need to look at ways to ensure progress remains fast. The sixth tank army destroys a TOW and drives up to the northern coastal city of Agade We have also driven a huge SOD of tanks and mechs next to size 31 Isin, for an assault next turn. As long as these assaults that are not supported by artillery don't happen at the same time, we should be able to use bombers and missiles to weaken the defence enough for our normal tanks.

1774AD - There are two fighter in Isin and four mechs. It takes three cruise missiles to make the air safe for our bombers! After the bombers there are only three redlined mechs left. Three vet tanks take the city without loss. Looks like I might need bombers and cruise missiles more than tanks right now! We adjust some build orders accordingly.

New Groningen is founded on the site of Ur. New Eindhoven is founded on the site of Zabalam. In so doing, I think I have cut off Gil's incense, reducing him to just two luxury goods. I certainly have the cash for a steal, but I doubt he is doing research at the same rate any more.

We lose three tanks destroying four infiltrators near Roosendaal. With our new cultural borders, the Sumerians will not be able to push this far into our territory any more. We decide to break up our forces into four army corps. A small amount of artillery will be kept in defensive reserve to weaken any invasions. The rest will be split amongst two army corps in the south. They will use an artillery bombardment, followed by tank attack to take cities - one step into range, next turn bombard and capture. The other two amry corps will operate in the north. They will have cruise missile support to take out air defences and bomber support to weaken the defenders. One will be comprised of tank armies to move deep into the enemy's cultural borders. The other will use regular tanks. The attacks will be offset, so that the full air power can be brought to bear on one city at a time.

IT - Our invading army corps come under attack, especially at Kisurra, where we advanced two, and the best defender was a mech, so they were not able to fortify. In the firefights we lost two mechs, but cost Gil at least four units. He has also put three TOW on the Isin mountain, no doubt intending to attack next turn.

1776AD - Army Corp I is comprised of the tank armies - 3 are poised at Agade, waiting for the airstrike. Army Corp II is at Kisurra, comprised of mechs and tanks, waiting till next turn to strike. It will need reinforcements, particularly mechs to hold its position for another turn! Army Corp III is a combined arms stack by Kish, ready to fire the artillery this turn. Army Cory IV is a combined arms stack by Umma, also ready to fire this turn.

Here is the battlefront at the beginning of the turn:

Seige of Umma - We have 20 artillery left after rewdlining four mech defenders. We lose one elite tank in the assault, but Umma falls, bringing Der into range for an assault this turn. We will have to see if enough tanks remain to make the assault worthwhile. We also captured two more artillery and destroyer a jet fighter on the ground.

Seige of Kish - on investigating Kish, it is clear that Gil is out of oil, and is down to two luxury resources. Kish is heavily defended though - 5 mechs, one TOW. The artillery is insufficient to redline all the troops. We will have to come back to this after we see what resources we need eslewhere.

Seige of Agade - We are facing five mechs, an artillery and a fighter. Two cruise missiles clear the skies. A jet fighter appears from somewhere and shoots us down - maybe Kisurra? The bombers continue anyway. One mech is destroyed, but a 3hp mech is left defending. We send in another cruise missile, now the best defender is a 2hp mech. Time for the armies. There are no losses as the gates to Agade are swept aside.

Resumption of Kish seige - We send an unused tank army to help dislodge the stubborn defenders. Then as another 2 hp mech is showing, we use the other unused tank army, but still a 2hp mech remains. We waste a cruise missile taking a hip point of a fighter. We decide that we either use at least two more cruise missiles to try to weaken this defender (since they attack air units first) or just send in the tanks now. We opt for the latter. Kish costs three tanks, but eventually falls.

Seige of Der - Since this city became in range of our artillery by the capture of Umma, we investigate and find four mech defenders and an artillery. We will chance our hand and see if the artillery can have an effective impact. The loss of four big cities would be a huge blow to Gil. After the barrage, two are at 2hp, and 2 at one hp. We try a cruise missile, but it is a dud. Try the tanks. And for the loss of only one tank, Der falls.

The Sumerians have only 14 cities left. I am at 54/68. Sumeria is still the closest competitor at 9/12 and 104522 culture. The troops threatening Isin have all been redlined.

1778AD - I investigate Sumer. Would you believe of all things, Gil is still trying to build the internet here. He only has four defenders in this his new capital, and he is wastng time on a wonder he will never get to use! Just as an experiment I check the science slider. I have been doing min research on ecology. At max I can get ecology in 8, instead of the 22 remaining. At 80, and for only a small loss, I can get it in 19. I go for that. Maybe I will start throwing in some research buildings between tanks...

Seige of Kisurra - Kisurra has four mechs and a damaged jet. One missile later the skies should be safe for our bombers! As not all bombers are in range of Kish, a three hp mech is left. We send in a tank army. It wins, but there remains a further 3hp meach. In with another tank army, victory, now there is a 2hp mech. Another tank army, and then there is only a 1hp mech left. An elite tank captures the city.

We are in position to attack Sumer and Heraclea next turn.

19. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

1780AD - Seige of Heraclea - 4 mechs and a jet fighter. Army Corp III attacks with artillery and redlines all. Three vets and an elite tank are all the persuasion Heraclea needs to join the Dutch.

Seige of Sumer - There are four mechs and two TOW inside Sumer now! But no airforce. The artillery can not quite finish the job, so our airforce which has no other requirements this turn attacks and wipes out all the defenders. Gil's second capital falls without a ground shot being fired! 31 resisting Sumerians is too much for William's taste, so the city is abandoned and replaced. New Arnhem is founded. Taking this city has reduced the Sumerian's luxury good supply to a single item.

We try to steal technology but our agent is caught.

The new world map:

Kish was Sumeria's strongest individual city culture after capturing Ur. We decide that now we have a settler over in the new territories, we will get rid of the Kish flip risk! We abandon and refound with New Maastricht.

1782AD - Seige of Smyrna - We no longer have an agent (our replant failed) so we don't know exactly what is in this city. After our artillery is all done, there is a 3hp defender still showing. We use three cruise missiles to remove air units, then send in the bombers. We lose one to a jet from somewhere and there is still a 2hp unit left. It costs five tanks, and needs the help of two armies, but eventually the city falls.

Seige of Adrianople - The cruise missile hits a mech infantry, so clearly there are no air units in the city, although the jets seem to have a wide coverage range. We will try the bombers anyway. We lose one again to a jet from somewhere, and the best defender remains a 3hp vet. We are out of range of support from any other city, so we must make do with what we have. We have 16 tanks. We decide to proceed - this could get bloody. We lose all 16 tanks, and eventually have to eliminate the remaining two defenders using cruise missiles, but we take the city.

20. Sandman2003

Sandman2003 Prince

It is time to think about ending this. Gil has 10 cities left, 5 on the pennisinular to the east of this continent, one just behind my lines, a tiny one isolated by Arabia that I thought Abu would recapture ages ago, and 3 tiny ones on an island. I can get the latter four in a peace deal right now, but I think I will war one more turn, then give him peace, then either force him to declare war, or redeclare anyway. This is solely to speed up a game that now has an inevitable result, although we may not have enough area for the domination win with Gil's land alone.

We sink a Sumerian raiding fleet just north of Osman's island.

1784AD - Chalcedon falls to our bombers and tank armies. We run out of attacks at the Sumerian's new capital of Ceasarea,so we take peace, however, we only get the three cities on the island. At least it means we don't have to send a ship over to take it. We are sending a transport over with three mechs just to help dissuade unwelcome visitors, however. We also take all Gil's gold, only 304 now, and 7gpt. We are now at 59/76. This peace isn't going to last long.

IT - Gil tries to kick us out of his territory, we refuse, and we are back at war.

1786AD - Smokey tries to renew our ROP. No way, we have had enough of your troops in our way. The Mayans are still at war with Gil, but will not renew our military alliance (wonder why, not!). We get our agent back into Sumeria. Gil has 17 mechs and 7 TOW to his name.

Seige of Ceasarea - This time there is no mistake, the combined artillery and bomber attack destroys all four mechs and all four TOW. A mech infantry takes the city without resistance.

The second built army arrives in the new territories and becomes the seventh tank army.

IT - The Mayans assault coastal fishing village Sardica, leaving a wounded TOW showing, but losing all their troops in the area. The way is now clear for the Dutch.

1788AD - Then watched by a bunch of Mayan shipping we bomb this last unit to smittereens and waltz into the city with a mech, destroying it in the process. One bomber was lost to a Jet in the process, however.

Constantinople also falls to our artillery/bomber assault so a lone mech can seize the city. Kutha is taken after a short bombing run by two tank armies. The final charge is completed by the newly formed seventh tank army. Nagsu, the new capital is guarded by only three mechs. We have two unused armies, and the city has only 1 tile of cultural border to cross. We attack. Nagsu joins the Dutch.

We found two new cities to help fill in the holes, but we are still at 62/80, and the Sumerians are down to one city! There is still the possibility that cultural expansions will win it from here, but maybe we need to look towards another foe?

The cheeky Mayans have 9 tanks in our territory. They probably can not build any more since they were relying on me for oil. OTOH, the Arabs still rely on infantry and cavalry, so they would be a relatively easy foe. I rush some temples in the meantime. We need to polish off Gil, so I don't get flips, then we will see.

The world: