1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Netherlands First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 12, 2017.

1. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

From the looks, polders will likely need 2 adjacent land tiles, but my guess is they remain a "sea" tile for everything else. Again, interesting to see whether they will gain harbor bonuses.

Otherwise, I like a lot about that civ. Extra adjacencies are nice, and polders definitely look like pretty sweet tiles, meaning that you definitely want to settle on or near coasts.

I don't think they'll necessarily come out as a top civ, assuming that polders come late enough in the tech tree to not be super-OP early improvements. But they look like they should be a fun one to play.

legalizefreedom likes this.
  2. rhaak

rhaak Chieftain

The question is, can you build a harbor on a polder tile :)

3. Mowi

Mowi Chieftain

Looks like the Kilwa Kilsiwani is being unlocked at Machinery (0:35) and the Buddha Statue with Divine Right (also 0:35)

EDIT: Also you can see a/the new water improvement that is being added on the left side.. is it clear already what its going to be?

Tiger Genocide and conorbebe like this.
  4. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't any mention of how polders will work in terms of movement (it looks like they may simply act as water tiles). Enabling land movement while still allowing ships to pass through (but perhaps being unable unable to attack from/end movement on them) would make an even more interesting UI, as would any defensive applications.The river bonus is a bit of a surprise in that I was expecting more abilities tied to new features, but it makes sense in terms of differentiating the Netherlands, which will thrive on the edges of continents, from Indonesia, which will make better use of small islands.

Noble Zarkon and Hawke9 like this.
  5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

So you'll be able to drive ships through them and farm whales from them?

6. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

Wow, i couldn't understand what they were trying to say when they named the unique unit or unique ability. Overall quite strong civ.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Government Plaza at State Workforce
    Governor Titles at State Workforce, Medieval Faires, and Civil Engineering
    Granada is still a CIty-State
    There are types of Loyalty, The one from Radio Oranje is Identity Moderator Action: Edit: Devs have now clarified that Identity is an old name for Loyalty --NZ

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
    Leathaface, nzcamel, bbbt and 7 others like this.
  8. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Yes. Her pronunciation is really bad, but that's always the case with foreigners. :lol:

Inlex and Guandao like this.
  9. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

They're an improvement, so wouldn't be buildable on whales (only a fishing boat would go on that tile). And a harbor would replace it, like a campus replaces a farm when you place it.

conorbebe and SammyKhalifa like this.
  10. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

Surprised gasp. What a shock. This reveal has taken me completely off gaurd, as I am sure it has everyone else.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'm not sure the harbor ability is quite a culture bomb. The video says it claims "available" tiles, which suggests that it may expand borders but not steal foreign land (unless they're being sloppy with their descriptions, which is also possible). EDIT: Given the ability screen, sloppy description does indeed appear to be the explanation.

To me, it looks like the builders are disappearing after using their final charges. Perhaps they're being intentionally ambiguous?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    nzcamel likes this.
  12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Makes sense. Would sit a little better with me if they just become a land tile, though not a big deal.

nzcamel likes this.
  13. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

I really hope they do something to make their colour scheme better. As it stands, anything Dutch, be it city names or icons, is very hard to distinguish.

14. Nev_ti

Nev_ti Chieftain

looks like the archivo needs to be placed next to the government plaza

15. Eric Guimarães

Eric Guimarães Chieftain

I love Firaxis:love:

Leathaface, bbbt, Hawke9 and 3 others like this.
  16. Japper007

Japper007 Prince

The yields aren't that good at the start, lots of food is nice but it steeply drops of once your cities hit about 7 pop or so, earlier without fresh water. It is just like the Russian UA, it makes bad tiles workable but they are still not on par with good tiles at all. It's not like the Outback Station which adds OP yields to already good tiles.

Hawke9 likes this.
  17. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Sounds super fun to play, I love it. Polders look very nice. A river and coastal bias for starting perhaps? The unique ship makes me wish Civs still had to build their cities on the coast!

Haig likes this.
  18. kryat

kryat King

The Features and Abilities screen describes the tile grabbing as a culture bomb.

Noble Zarkon and Amrunril like this.
  19. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Warlord

It is a culture bomb. The description is at timestamp 0:59.

Amrunril likes this.
  20. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

Looks cool, but those colors are an eye sore. There needs to be more contrast between the background and accent/lettering.