[R&F] Netherlands First Look

Land grab on harbor completion doesn't sound all that useful to me. They are very rarely contested.

I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't any mention of how polders will work in terms of movement (it looks like they may simply act as water tiles). Enabling land movement while still allowing ships to pass through (but perhaps being unable unable to attack from/end movement on them) would make an even more interesting UI, as would any defensive applications.The river bonus is a bit of a surprise in that I was expecting more abilities tied to new features, but it makes sense in terms of differentiating the Netherlands, which will thrive on the edges of continents, from Indonesia, which will make better use of small islands.
I think it must be considered as if the polders convert the shallow coastline on farmland... therefore the tile keeps being mainly sea, but it would have been nice if they also had counted as a high movement cost land tile (marsh) - quite the inverse could apply to building canals... but that is one of the most relevant unmet promises of civ6 (except for the always used canal-city)

Isn't that funny that, in all the pronotics, we thought that the ability which'll involve trade routes will be the CUA and not the LUA ? I'm really surprised to see that the CUA has nothing to do with trade... But it's awesome to see the Dutch as they really are : the people who made better use (better even than Egyptians) of swampy territories.

So hyped! My favourite civ I think now.

And notice that they're pretty balanced, can go to every victory I think.

And think about Polders only as the same thing as Terrace farm of Inca from Civ 5. A farm that could be build on another tile than the classic flatland.

Land grab on harbor completion doesn't sound all that useful to me. They are very rarely contested.

At least it gives extra polders. Could be the best improvement in the game right now. I rarely use water tiles without resources.

Anyway, thoughts:

I didn’t really love the leader before this video, and learning of her ability really hasn’t helped as its in game effect seems completely unrelated mechanically to what it is supposed to represent thematically. The civilization ability seems really bland especially the land snatching as every Tom,Dick, and Curtin can snatch land and most the other civs can do it with considerably more ease. The only things that are really interesting are the polders and the UU. By the sound of “You are no longer restricted to the land you are given” they will indeed act as land tiles which will be very interesting to mess around with in game, and the UU getting a strength bonus AND a bonus to bombarding defensible districts makes it sound like a brilliant tool for coastal conquest as you can both deal with any naval resistance and poubd away at the cities they’re protecting with a single unit.

I really hope they do something to make their colour scheme better. As it stands, anything Dutch, be it city names or icons, is very hard to distinguish.

The colour schemes were much better in Civ5 I think. I can't even read Indonesia's city names. They seem hell-bent on avoiding bright colours too. I want my creamsicle orange dutch empire back.

From the looks, polders will likely need 2 adjacent land tiles, but my guess is they remain a "sea" tile for everything else.

I'd say they will need 3 adjacent land tiles. There are like 12 or so polders in the video, and all have 3+ adjacent land tiles, and none have only 2.

Makes sense. Would sit a little better with me if they just become a land tile, though not a big deal.
This would be an exploit for the player by placing polders at strategic locations and making AI harbors not accesible to open sea anymore. For the player it could become an annoyance if the AI Netherlands randomly places them in a narrow strait. But we will see how it will turn out.

So the ship gets extra strength attacking "defensible districts", so I assume this includes encampments. But what's the point of attacking them? Can you conquer/pillage/destroy encampments during war? I've never tried.

Also note that the UU is a Dutch ship of the Line (not an East Indiaman, then? I don't really know ships...).

I'd say they will need 3 adjacent land tiles. There are like 12 or so polders in the video, and all have 3+ adjacent land tiles, and none have only 2.
We still do not know for sure what sufficiently coastlines means, maybe there is still balancing with this. But yes in the video there were polders adjacent to 3 landtiles.

Before reading the thread, I just want to mention that her pronounciation is really bad. I had to listen to the first ability three times before I recognized "Grote Rivieren". Then again, the way our "g" sounds does not exist in most languages.

We still do not know for sure what sufficiently coastlines means, maybe there is still balancing with this. But yes in the video there were polders adjacent to 3 landtiles.

I guess I was thinking of it more from a "realism" perspective, not everything has to be realistic but I thought the whole point of polders was to keep the water out.

Top Bottom