[R&F] Netherlands First Look

So the ship gets extra strength attacking "defensible districts", so I assume this includes encampments. But what's the point of attacking them? Can you conquer/pillage/destroy encampments during war? I've never tried.

Encampments was my interpretation as well, and it also appears to apply to city centers. The phrasing may also be leaving the door open for additional districts/unique districts/ability enhanced districts with encampment-like defenses.

We still do not know for sure what sufficiently coastlines means, maybe there is still balancing with this. But yes in the video there were polders adjacent to 3 landtiles.

Yes, I thought in the video that when they built the last polder that there was a popup to build one next to it as well, which only had 2 tiles, but it looks like that was for a fishing boat, not a polder. Which also appears that you can now build fishing boats on regular coastal tiles? Although that may be just a governor ability.

Pausing, appears the polder yields are:
+1f/+1p, +0.5 housing
my guess is +1f per adjacent polder (when they built the chain of them the one next to a polder was showing +2f, and the one next to 2 others was showing +3f). Looks like they also gain an extra food later on in the tree as well.

So you'll be able to drive ships through them and farm whales from them?

That wouldn't be very realistic. From what I understand, a polder is used to reclaim land that would otherwise be flooded/submerged. No more water = no more fish/whales and no more waterway.

The in-game graphics, to me, also seem to suggest that putting down a polder turns a coastline-tile into a land-tile.
And the bit about "no longer are you locked to the land" at around 1:20 also seems to suggest that you can use polders to basically build a bridge between two land-tiles that are separated by a sea- or lake-tile.

S.

When I built cities close to fish, often the fish are 2 or 3 tiles away from my city centre. A culture bomb from the harbour is handy IMO.

It would be nice if it were coded kind of like Russia or Shoshone landgrab in that it would grab 6 coast tiles prioritizing resources -regardless of shape. I don't see why all the land grabs need to be circles around the district.

So the ship gets extra strength attacking "defensible districts", so I assume this includes encampments. But what's the point of attacking them? Can you conquer/pillage/destroy encampments during war? I've never tried.
I'm sure I "pillaged" encampment by attacking it, so my answer is yes

Did anyone else notice the -17 CS against naval units on the UU when it attacked the Jong? Is that present for other naval bombard units?

If a foreign civ were to take over a Dutch city with polders (either through military, through trade, or through loyalty), they would probably disappear, furthering evidence that naval units can still travel on polders.

When I built cities close to fish, often the fish are 2 or 3 tiles away from my city centre. A culture bomb from the harbour is handy IMO.

Or you buid the harbour next to fish/crabs/other for adjacency, an then they become immediately workable. Not that bad

If a foreign civ were to take over a Dutch city with polders (either through military, through trade, or through loyalty), they would probably disappear, furthering evidence that naval units can still travel on polders.

Which makes Netherlands the second xpack civ offering crappy conquest (Korea with no-adjacency campuses, Holland with plenty of unuseful bare-coastline cities (plus sub-standar adjacency districts because of river bonus). Meh.

I usually build next to one or two sea resources and buy the tiles to improve them and make the city grow faster, long before I build a harbor.

I guess I was thinking of it more from a "realism" perspective, not everything has to be realistic but I thought the whole point of polders was to keep the water out.
You're confusing polders with dykes. :) A polder is an area of dry land that used to be water, most commonly former (parts of) lakes that were drained using windmills to pump water out.

Pronunciation issues aside, I think this will be a fine representation of my home country that I will enjoy playing.

Top Bottom