Network LAN difficulty

lozar

Chieftain
I have been having a lot of problems on LAN recently. Vanilla CIV works fine, there is only a problem with fallen from heaven. I am running version 0.41 patch N.

The problem initially was that my roommate who joins my LAN games, was unable to see the game at all. Only in ffh, in civ4 he was able to join with no issues. After wiping his laptop and reloading the OS, windows 7. He is now able to see and join the LAN game, but his laptop will instantly crash when the game is finished loading. When he tries to rejoin we encounter OOS problems.

We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, disabling firewalls, trying different in game settings, ect.. nothing seems to work. Ffh always crashes civ when the game is loading. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

We've encountered most of these problems in our RP Multiplayer games on the weekend, and as such we have a number of workarounds.

First up, we use direct IP connection, that way you can always get to the game.
As for the OOS issues, a player joining a game in progress will always cause an OOS, so the game needs to be rehosted.
Also we get pretty frequent crashes on first game start, but that can also be saved with a reload.

To reload, just go back into the multiplayer menu and select 'Load Game'. For people crashing on game start there should be an 'Autosave Initial Turn 0' file in the Multiplayer\Autosave folder that you can load. For an OOS issue, just save the game and rehost that save file.

I don't think we've ever had anybody crash while starting an MP game from a saved file, works fine.

We also get occasional rejection errors when trying to join a lobby, so far the only fix for that is to try a different host. Unsure what causes that issue.

Thanks for the advice i will try that, i'll let you know how it goes!

Hey, it works. The game still crashes from a direct connection but if we save the game and load that game it works without issue. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom