1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Never before in this game, I guess.

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Henri Christophe, Jul 24, 2020.

?

Which CIV do you want?

1. Seminole - Negro Abraham

2. Haiti - Toussaint L'Ouverture

3. Guarani - Sepé Tiaraju

4. Paraguay - Solano López

5. Dahomey - Ghezo

6. Ndongo - Queen Nzinga

7. Zimbabwe - Robert Mugabe

8. Uganda - Idi Amin

9. Ruanda - Paul Kagami

10. Botswana - Seretse Khama

11. Texas - Byraw Sasquatch

12. Rio Grande do Sul - Guiseppe Garibaldi

13. Uruguay - José Artigas

14. Olmec - 3Deer

15. Oyo - Oduduwa

16. Ashante - Osei Tutu

17. Ahmadnagar Sultanate - Malik Ambar

18. Chola Sultanate - Rajendra Chola I

19. Toltec - Quetzalcoalt

20. Zapotec - Benito Juárez

21. Palmares - Zumbi

22. Tupi - Cunhambebe

23. Romenia - Vlad III

24. West Rome - CharleMagne

25. Vietnan - Cheng I Sao

26. Powhatan - Wahunsenacawh

27. Cherokee - Sequoyah

28. North-West Territory - Tecumseh

29. South Africa - Nelson Mandela

30. Boers - Paul Kruger

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Isn't as Napoleon lead the Texas, but Napoleon can lead Germany for example. He lead it for while. But it should be very weird.

This game have power to do other kind of interpretation of history, and as this game is powerfull, that can make a great impact on society.
    You all community have power to change world society for better.

But I'm glad Haiti is winning my pool, at least my favorite future Civ can become reallity. I agree some ideas I give can be a bit crazy, but isn't that bad ideas, are just no conventional.

AntSou likes this.
  2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Evita would make a far more compelling leader for Argentina than Benito of the Zapotecs or Tecumseh of the Northwest Territory at least. :rolleyes:

3. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

the chola aren’t a sultanate...

4. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

What they are?

5. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

an empire, or a kingdom.

Sultanates are muslim, and the chola were hindus

Zaarin and Henri Christophe like this.
  6. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

I just discover this Caliphate called Sokoto and his founder is Usuman dan Fodio.
    Another great option to Africa.

7. Patine

Patine Deity

The Yoruba or Ibo would be more interesting among Nigerian civ's.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  8. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Maybe Yoruba can be made to American players. As leader as Shango (third kingdom of Oyo).

I guess Pan-American is very popular among Africans and they will understand an African Hero of two continents have no correlation with Yorubization of Nigeria.

But, Patine, you may be right if Oduduwa Is choice to be Oyo Civ Leader, because Oduduwa helps endorse the Yorubization of Nigeria.
    Igbo and Muslims Haussa should don't like it

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  9. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

The Oyo are related to the Yoruba though, who in turn are related to the Edo people that ran the Benin kingdom. Nigeria is a patchwork of ethnic groups that are all intricated related to one another. Adding even one of those options takes a ton of research, most of which is hard to find online.

In terms of just general design ease, Ashanti are a prime choice. Wikipedia has ample information about their tradition, religion, military organisation, festivals and social structure. If wiki has it, that means other, more reliable sites have the same information available as well [citation required]. With Osei Tutu and Yaa Assantewaa, they have tow great options as well. The only gripe is that the Ashanti were, like all of West-Africa, were really into the "carving fetishes from wood, worship ancestral spirits" thing and that's already clearly represented in Kongo's N'Kisi ability.

Alternatively, the Swahili. Kilwa sultanate is unlikely since Kilwa Kisiwani already exists as a wonder (then again, Machu Picchu and Chichen Itza are both a city AND a World Wonder) and their leaders are rather poorly attested. That said, I found that Tanzania has a website dedicated to preserving their lighthouses, which might be a cool UB. The Swahili have a naval history, which makes them unique among black civs at least. [I could have said "African" but Morocco and Carthage are both naval and located in Africa] There's also Fume Liyongo, a semi-legendary warrior-poet-chieftain so a cultural angle would be pretty neat. (and apt. Tanzania is very much into profiling themselves as a tourism hub, specificlaly on the island of Zanzibar which is a potential capital for the Swahili)

10. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

the Swahili are a great choice because Kilwa and Zanzibar both served as importnat trading hubs of Africa’s premier sea traders.

With Nigeria, like you noted, Benin, Ibo, Yoruba among others are all good choices.

The Ashanti would also be a good choice

I would say that the Berbers, Swahili and Shona would serve the best to fill out Africa as a continent, with Ashanti, Benin or Yoruba filling in as a nice bonus.

11. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Did you try look in other languages? Portuguese Wikipedia have many informations about Yoruba saga because most of the yoruba people was enslaved in Brazil and Cuba (But Cubans don't write in Wikipedia that much).
    Edo and Yoruba share the Ododuwa history, that means Oduduwa can be a issue if he will lead Edo or Yoruba people.
    But Shango isn't a issue, he is the third king of Oyo empire and praised as the Thunder God in Americas.

English Wikipedia have many informations about Ashante because there was ever an area of British influence. But Ashante is very cool too. I like they.

I guess Shahilli is better represented by a bunch of city states. Africa is huge and have other civs who are more Root-Africans

12. Patine

Patine Deity

What's this "Pan-American Yorubization Hero of Two Continents," balderdash?

Praised as the "Thunder God," by whom in the Americas? This is news to me...

13. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Pan-Africanism, the green, yellow and red flag means the idea of all Africans should be united and forget old issues.

Yorubazation is the cultural influence the Lagos city have over Nigeria. It's hard to explain, but Yoruba are trying to win a cultural victory in Nigeria.:lol:

At least in Afro-Religions in Brazil (Candomblé) and in Cuba (Santeria) have many people who believes Shango is the God Thunder (I believe in it, it is also my religion).
    In USA's Voodoo Shango is not that popular because have less Yoruba influence and more Fon (Dahomey) influence.

But, you can understand Shango as a Yorubua's Voodoo Thunder God.

14. Patine

Patine Deity

These religious movements appear to be very small percentages of their given nations' populations - like in the "almost imperceptible," range on Pew Report statistics.

15. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Pan-Africanism is a social movement, the religion, who had the same colors, are the Rastafari.
    Rastafari believe Haile Selassie is Christ....
    They are two different things but there are people who believe in both

16. Patine

Patine Deity

You didn't Rastafari. And, Rastafari only has significant percentages of population in Anglo-Caribbean countries, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Ethiopia. Everywhere else, there numbers are very tiny. There are more people in the U.S. who reported their religion in the 2010 Census as the "Jedi Religion," of the fictitious Star Wars space opera franchise than reported it as Vodoo/Vodun, Hoodoo, and Rastafari combined, just so you know...

17. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Why Westerns need to measure everything by numbers? Let's just look if it is cool or boring. This is a game, not a competition.

AsH2 likes this.
  18. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

I think the numbers are very important when it comes to sales (in this currency based world economy).

19. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

So we can think in how many people would like to play as each civ. I'm brazilian but I just play as Pedro II once.
    How many people like to listen Bob Marley and don't believe in Rastafari-faith?

I guess it time to look to Africa and what think, what can call the atention of new players. I'm giving great ideas to call atention of Black-America community as Shango leading Oyo Empire (And also Nigerians would like to see Shango in this game).

Nowadays this game is as Hollywood, making the same was made before. If this game want to sell more, they need to be Bollywood or Nollywood, making histories by others perspectives. Stop to looking the same sources as ever and try to find natives and ask what they think about they self.

20. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I'm drawing the line at overly complicated song and dance numbers in Civ. I don't need to see Gilgamesh swinging his hips, and Pericles is liable to break a hip if he tries. :lol: