Never-Before-Seen Civs Poll

Which of these civs do you want to see in the future? (Choose 7)

• Apache/Navajo/etc.

Votes: 114 37.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 49 16.0%
  • Armenia

Votes: 49 16.0%
  • Ashanti

Votes: 76 24.8%
  • Benin/Dahomey

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • Bulgaria/Thrace

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • Burma

Votes: 46 15.0%
  • Canada

Votes: 59 19.2%
  • Cherokee/Creek/Choctaw/etc.

Votes: 66 21.5%
  • Colombia (or Gran Colombia)

Votes: 70 22.8%
  • Etruria

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Gothia (any Goths)

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • Haida/Tlingit

Votes: 45 14.7%
  • Hebrews/Israel

Votes: 89 29.0%
  • Hungary

Votes: 97 31.6%
  • Inuit

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • Ireland

Votes: 50 16.3%
  • Italy (including Florence, Genoa, etc.)

Votes: 124 40.4%
  • Kilwa/Swahili

Votes: 56 18.2%
  • Lydia/Pontus/Kappadokia/etc.

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Mughals

Votes: 56 18.2%
  • Palmyra/Syria/Nabataea/etc.

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • Phoenicia/Canaanites

Votes: 74 24.1%
  • Romania/Wallachia

Votes: 43 14.0%
  • Shawnee

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Tibet

Votes: 78 25.4%
  • Vietnam

Votes: 141 45.9%
  • Ukraine/Kievan Rus'

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • Zimbabwe/Mutapa

Votes: 53 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 17.3%

• Total voters

The Kingmaker

Alexander
The Cree. The Scots. The Georgians. The Mapuche. Believe it or not, they're coming.

As always, there's lots of talk about what new civs people want to see in the game. I tried to incorporate the biggest and most popular names out there (and a few wild cards), but of course, there's no way to include everybody. (We are only allowed up to 30 poll options.) Make sure to vote "Other" if your favorite isn't listed and tell us what it is in the comments.

This time around, it's just a "pick 7" instead of a "pick 10." This is to try to simulate the fact that we're not likely to get even that many more new civs in the game at this point. Especially with 20+ classic civs still missing.

If you're looking for your old favorites Babylon, Byzantium, the Inca or the Ottoman Turks, there's already a thread devoted to the missing classics. Head over there and vote!

Poor Tibet. They could get every vote here and it wouldn't matter as long as the current Chinese government and its supporters remain intact. Ah well.

Still tossed a vote toward them anyway because I honestly didn't have seven civs I wanted to vote for regardless so might as well waste it on them.

I really hope the Navajo have a shot going forward. I also voted for the Haida. Both represent regions/cultures not yet fully depicted in the series, and I think they would be innovative and interesting.

I also would like to see Kievan Rus, although I'd be happy with an alt Russia leader like Yaroslav or Vladimir representing an earlier time in Russian history. Plus, Kiev could finally be in the game!

Finally, I am a huge proponent of representation of Florence, Venice and Milan in the game. If nothing else, they should have already been included as city-states. Bad Firaxis!

I am quite partial to Civs that have been executed spectacularly as mods in V and VI. There are plenty of cultures that theoretically would be fun or interesting to play as, but a great mod version that becomes a proof of concept that it would in fact work well in the game. I have a shortlist of ~15 civs I would like to see, and of those there are some I'm sure would be fun to play in the Civ environment. Whether or not they're executed as such in Civ XX is another matter, but it's possible, at least.

Vietnam would have most my votes if that could happen, but I would support Burma too. Besides SA Asia, Pacific NW and SW American tribes and Spanish colonial SA could use some civs as well.

I voted for:
Navajo- great Southwestern Native U.S. Civ to have. If not them Apache would be fine too as long as Geronimo is their leader.
Benin- West Coast of Africa with great female leader, Idia.
Gran Colombia- SA Spanish speaking country. I prefer them over Argentina honestly and the Mapuche pretty much shares the geographical region with them.
Hebrews- Probably won't happen but still would be a major faith based Civ.
Hungary- Ideally have them a separate Civ and focus on medieval Hungary, so Austria could have Hapsburg era Maria Theresa. But if they decided to combine them with Austria I'd be fine as well.
Italy- I don't have to explain there importance. :p
Phoenicia- probably won't happen as well, but also Carthage wouldn't of existed without them.
Honorable Mention to Romania: It would be an interesting addition indeed. I don't know much about Romanian History though, and I could only think of unique abilities around Vlad the Impaler which would be interesting from a gameplay perspective, but probably historically inaccurate. :mischief:

Vietnam is definitely long overdue. I'd love to see the Inuit. Remarkable people who are the ultimate adapters to their environment. :)

Tibet and Israel definitely, definitely should be in except for the misguided attempt to appease people. Appeasing never works. Ask Chamberlain.

The Kurds definitely deserve a nation in our real world and in the Civ series.

Found this one harder then the one with the returning civs. I went with::
Ashanti: after reading up on them I find them fascinating and the have famous female leader with Yaa Asantewaa
Gran Colombia: Mostly because of Simon Bolivar
Hebrew/Israel: The Holy Land, but the most fought over piece of land in the world since Ancient times.
Hungary: The highest rated civ on my list in Europe that never was in game.
Ireland: Since the Celts seem to have been unblobbed, I think they feel more celtic then the Scots do.
Italy: Based on the Italian "city states" of the Renaissance.
Vietnam: Together with Burma the only major player in SE Asia not ever represented in the game. But I find Vietnam more interesting

Other interesting ones for me are the Choctaw/Mississipians, Kilwa//Swahili, Phoenicia, Tibet and Zimbabwe/Mutapa.

Voted:

Bulgaria: The Byzantines other enemy. The Bulgarian Empire was a major power during the early middle ages, even taking Constantinople itself. Preslav was a center of learning and culture and the Cyrillic alphabet was invented by Bulgarians. Thrace was in the same area but not the same people.
Haida/Tlingit: The PNW has never been represented. The natives of the area had a very sophisticated and sedentary culture. Their art style has become very iconic, including being used for the mascot of the Seattle Seahawks and Vancouver Canucks.
Italy: Major area of culture, art, science, and economic innovation. Big personalities. Many leaders to choose from.
Kilwa/Swahili: East African traders par excellence on the Indian Ocean. Fusion of Persian, Arab, and African culture and a creole that has become the main language for millions.
Mughals: Could be folded into India but they were pretty different from India with Persian being their language despite claimed descent from the Mongols. Akbar needs to be in the game.
Vietnam: Only major east Asian culture that hasn't been represented yet other than Burma/Pagan.
Other: Comanche. The Navajo and Apache are more famous but neither controlled the territory nor had the power that the Comanche did nor were they as feared. The Comanche were the most powerful tribe in North America in the mid-1800s successfully waging war on Mexico and only a cholera and smallpox epidemic prevented a much longer war between the Comanche and Texas/USA.

Why does Nepal never get suggested? They could be an interesting mountain civ with an obvious UU in the Gurkha. I'd have also voted for Madagascar.

Anyway, seeing as how Nepal or Madagascar aren't on the list and I didn't want to chuck my sixth and seventh votes into the hodge-podge other category, here's who I went with in order of how much I'd like to see them:

1. Mughals - they never break India down into its various empires and kingdoms. Few are more deserving of portrayal than the Mughal Empire.

2. Hungary - I'd love a specifically late Medieval/early Renaissance Hungary under Mathias Corvinus.

(Nepal would go here)

3. Haida/Tlingit - We've never had a PNW tribe and either the Haida or Tlingit would be most welcome.

4. Apache/Navajo - Not much to say here. I just like NA representation and wouldn't mind having 3 in the game at once.

5. Hebrews/Israel - I think they could pull this off with minimum controversy, especially if they portrayed the Hebrews over the modern day country of Israel. They've already got Jerusalem in the game as a city-state and Judaism as a religion. If they make the Hebrews very obviously ancient/classical, what's there to get stirred up about?

(Madagascar would go here)

6. Kilwa/Swahili - Africa needs more representation and Kilwa/Swahili would fit in well after we get Mali and Ethiopia.

7. Vietnam - I could see this one happening. Most fans have been drooling over the concept of the Trung sisters for years now. If Georgia was memed into existence and the Mapuche were championed by that Redditor for years, I don't see how Firaxis could ignore the desire for Vietnam.

I think the only real consensus at the moment is that Civvers want 'Nam and a Renaissance Italy.

(And all our classic Civs back again! :p)

As long as we are NOT going to see Inuit or Australian Aboriginals Im happy with the new Civs.

Dacia is one of the Civs not mentioned here that would make good Ancient Civ IMO.

Last edited:
Argentina - Eva Perón
Hebrews/Israel - David
Hungary - Stephen I.
Italy/Italian City States - Cosimo de Medici
Palmyra - Zenobia
Vietnam - Trung Sisters
Other: Madagascar - Ranavalona I.

I voted for the biggest omissions (as far as your poll is concerned):

• Bulgaria
  • Colombia
  • Hebrew
  • Inuit
  • Tibet
  • Other
My "Other" civs:
  • Oman
  • Taino
If I could pick an eighth it would be Chola/Tamil, hands down. And a ninth would probably be Tonga if we only get one Polynesian civ (Maori/Hawaii if we got two). And if I had a negative vote, it would be for Vietnam.

I don't want to have to choose between Navajo/Apache/Pueblo and Cherokee/Choctaw/Muscogee/Mississippian, so I didn't. Those are clusters of similar and equally deserving civs and we honestly deserve one from each region (actually unequal since Pueblo and Mississippian are far more deserving, just extremely unlikely at this point). Although I would like to see Zimbabwe and Swahili, I think South Africa and Oman are better options for those regions. I also think Yamna is a better option for the Ukraine region than Kievan Rus'. I don't want Burma or Siam without the other. I'd also like Khazar, Sibir, Sakha, and Kazakhstan, but that's never happening and like Amerindian/Aboriginal civs it just feels wrong to pick between them.

Also, Ethiopia should be represented by Aksum this time around, so it could qualify as a pseudo-new civ by just a change of leader. But I'm not counting that toward my seven.

I want to take a moment and just fan girl over Vietnam. I am happy to see a poll where they are at/near the top because Vietnam is literally all I want and need in civ at this point. I have China. I have Japan. I even have Korea. But Vietnam is a country with a history just as rich and comparable to the rest of the Sinosphere. I feel like Vietnam has never gotten quite the recognition is deserved both in Civ and outside of Civ. But so have been trying to spread the good word as much as I can.

I don't know if anyone here likes language learning, but I even pushed the app team I work with to create a Vietnamese course for their app (Lingodeer). They actually started one and it will be released this spring. Now all I need left in life is a Vietnam civ so I can take over the world while I learn Vietnamese. Please firaxis, and my fellow fanatics. Wether it be through memes or pure love: let us bring Vietnam to Civ 6. I even saw a Vietnamese localization mod for civ 6 recently on steam, so there is some market there. I believe in you and us.

Bring the Vietnamese!

Others could be Tu'i Tonga, Rapanui, Maori, Papua, Maasai, Mochica...

Rapanui annihilated themselves to build ridiculous stone men, they would be a big disappointment. Maori just yell a lot and have a fun dance, Papua I can’t even fathom your reasoning for, the Maasai are basically aboriginal Australia but in Africa and the Moche are one of many Inca precursors known mostly for leaving pots lying around.

My standards for civilisations are more flexible than most, but I’d at least like some unique attributes alongside some demonstrated and unique success in some aspect of empire building, so I’m left asking why you want these cultures as civilisations?

Last edited:
Canada (2 leaders), Inuit, Italy (with Altinate leaders), Phonecia, Tibet, Switzerland.
However I doubt Inuit, Phonecia and Tibet won't be in the game due to knowlage or political reasons.

Canada can have a choice of English kr French leaders.
Italy cannot settle cities but gets Girabaldi to conqure, Pope to convert and claim cities through religion, and Enrico to claim cities with money among other leader abilities.
Switzerland always provides open boarders and do not need to be at war to attack units within it's boarders.

Top Bottom