1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New 2019 iMac 5K vs 2015 iMac 5K

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by jsurpless, Mar 20, 2019.

1. jsurpless

jsurpless Chieftain

I currently have a 2015 iMac 5K 4Ghz & AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB of GDDR5

Since I see some sluggish behavior as the game advances through the turns, I am wondering how much of an improvement I could expect if I were to get one of the new 2019 iMacs?

Thoughts?

2. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Chieftain

By "sluggish behavior" are you talking about how long it takes between turns, or are you seeing a persistent low framerate?

3. jsurpless

jsurpless Chieftain

Mostly just a lower framerate as the game advances...

I assume that you're with Aspyr? If so, I've been talking with Aspyr tech support and it was recommended that I turn down the graphics to Minimum. I've done this and it's made a good improvement.

It was just surprising, considering that I think I have a pretty decent setup and yet I wasn't able to play at Medium-High or so. That's why I was curious if a new iMac would yield much better results.

Right now, my game starts out at 60 fps and drops to 40-50 over time. Is 60 fps some sort of cap? Or could a more powerful machine yield better fps? Would CPU or GPU have more of an impact?

Thanks!

4. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Chieftain

This is a frame limiter option in the graphic settings, but I think it's disabled by default.

I'm not sure you'll see a huge difference on newer Macs, but I haven't personally played on them. I was worried that you were seeing something more significant, like down to single digit FPS.

Gathering Storm itself is more demanding than Rise and Fall was, so framerates take a bigger hit.

5. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

I am also thinking of upgrading mine. Wouldn't these specs from a new iMac make a difference? :cry: These are the new top of the line iMac specs.

• 3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
    • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
    • Radeon Pro Vega 48 with 8GB of HBM2 memory

6. jsurpless

jsurpless Chieftain

When I was running at Medium-High settings, I was starting out the game at 30 fps tops... it would get progressively less over the course of the game

I've been trying to find out if Civ 6 would even benefit from the Vega... in other words, in others is it better to put $$$ towards the CPU upgrade?

7. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

Exactly what I was thinking. I always go full CPU performance myself first and the latest ones have 8 core i( now. Of course, I gather that if they end up doing Civ VII, it would benefit to have the graphics card upgrade as well, but every upgrade is definitely $$$. I did some rapid research online (check https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-vega-48.c3395) and found this about the Vega 48. The relative performance compared with the closest to yours, R9 390, finds a difference of 16% performance as I see it. You can also see a comparison with other graphics cards. PC's of course are better there.

upload_2019-4-5_16-45-48.png

8. jsurpless

jsurpless Chieftain

Only a 16% performance improvement over a 4 year old GPU? That doesn't seem quite right, although I see what you're referencing. Doesn't seem like that's worth $450 to me?

Although, I did search for a 'AMD Radeon R9 M395X' which came up - seems to be more than 16% improvement, more like 2-3x?a

upload_2019-4-5_19-27-25.png

9. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

Yeah, I thought that was not much of an improvement. I don't know. And it definitely would not be worth a $400+ investment if that were the case. But this performance appraisal could be wrong or I am looking at it wrong.

10. jsurpless

jsurpless Chieftain

I think that the comparison should be done against the Radeon Pro 580X to determine whether $450 is worth it

Ondolindë likes this.
  11. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Chieftain

It's not a fair comparison, though. Civ VI uses a lot of system ram as well. I have nearly the same system as you and the game uses 90% of my system ram. So, upgrading your ram alone will give you a boost. Plus, it's also a processor intensive game. These raw comparisons are never good, imo. Also, Macs have a 2nd video card in them to help render 5k, so that won't be reflected in any of this.

Personally, I don't think an upgrade other than system ram is worth it at this point in time unless you go iMac Pro which is a mega awesome machine. I plan to wait another couple years before I even consider an upgrade. What I love about Macs is that I know my machine will be good. Yeah, I may not have blistering performance in gaming, but it is good enough for me to enjoy what I play and at least it is super stable.