New art for units, buildings, terrain, etc.

Keinpferd

King
Even today, as PAE is in a rather advanced state of development, new exclusive art for PAE is in the pipeline. Something really nice coming up in the next update…

To start this thread, let me go back to a stone old topic, though, which was buried in the main thread, before we had this new subforum, about a vexillum type unit. If I remember correctly, Pie delayed such a feature until there would be proper art for it.

It looks like, whatever favors the AI's financial advantage over the human player, is helping the AI to make up for its tactical dumbness. For example, the AI chooses Noble Armor as a standard promotion, while the human player would ruin himself by doing that. Another idea to give the AI a chance to buy something to become a little stronger, would be a vexillum unit.

Not only the Romans had those. There's historical evidence, that other peoples used them, too. The Gauls, for instance, had fancy vexilla with horns, snakenecks, grate-pyramids…

Lately [original thread was from 2012], somebody pointed to a feature, which could be a model for the vexillum: In FFH, there is an immobile, hovering unit called Orthus' axe, which can be picked up to strength-boost the unit carrying it. If it dies, the axe reappears and can be picked up again.

But maybe an original vexillum is already existing in another mod?

A vexillum could also help reduce the danger of army rebellion, or it could completely take over that task from the general unit, that currently serves that purpose. The latter, because the AI hardly attaches generals to units anymore and rather settles them in cities. That's the reason, why the AI is so much more often struck by rebellious stacks: because, in the state as is, there must be generals in the stack to prevent it. Of course, a vexillum should be limited or hardcapped through costs or numbers to avoid monster stacks returning.

Vexillum would be a great assist to help the AI. If they are added, I feel that they should only be available to the AI, and can't be captured by a thinking human. Would love to make textures that change a floating axe into a Vexillum !

Vexillum: Cool, you know how to do that? Pie just said on the German forum, he's doing the vexillum, if we find art for it. He expanded the vexillum idea to have it zero out all rebellion danger in a stack. (Good for the AI, because building lots of units is one of her few talents, and there will be only one vexillum, thus one killer stack.)

I wouldn't know, whether the vexillum has to be based on that FFH axe necessarily. Isn't a spear without a unit "hovering" on a plot? I saw something like that in coffee junkie's thread as a bug example.

Here's some less Roman centered vexillum footage:

…Dacians

…Gauls

…and the Parthians with a suspiciously similar taste in pennants like the Dacians:D.

I didn't search for Egyptians and North African ones, but I guess, one Roman, one West, one East will do.

To cut it short: There is no art for a vexillum, yet…

Coming soon:

Currently Pie is working on a nice way of implementing the aquilifer, feature-wise. (This might be something for people who watched the sword-and-shield movie "The Eagle".)

But the case of vexilla for other civs is not closed. If anyone is interested in making such units…

Attachments

• Civ4Screen_aquilifer.JPG
    Civ4Screen_aquilifer.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 1,006
PIE, I have some finished buildings I'm going to release soon. You might like them for your mod:

1. 7 Colored Walls of Ectabana
2. Tomb of Cyrus (Ancient Texture)
3. Zoroaster's Cube (Ancient Texture)
4. Hall of 100 Columns
5. Tasht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Treasury
6 Hattusha's Gate
7. Paradaiza (Garden) of Parsagadae
8. Tower of The Winds

stolen: hm, I will check that, of course! But truly, I am already at an end of my building wish list. But we will see....

PIE, I have some finished buildings I'm going to release soon. You might like them for your mod:

1. 7 Colored Walls of Ectabana
2. Tomb of Cyrus (Ancient Texture)
3. Zoroaster's Cube (Ancient Texture)
4. Hall of 100 Columns
5. Tasht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Treasury
6 Hattusha's Gate
7. Paradaiza (Garden) of Parsagadae
8. Tower of The Winds

Beautiful! :goodjob:

Top Bottom