New Beta - March 7th (3/7)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Hey all,

Thanks for the patience as we move through this multi-step transition towards release. The SQL conversion was a biggie, and was largely responsible for the many bugs reported. In any case, I'd say most if not all aspects of that are fixed now. I've also taken the time to tackle a few more big issues, and do a little bit of balance.

Anyways, here's the changelog. I'm not going to touch balance again until after the next official release, so bugfixes are the order of the day. I'm also waiting on word from putmalk that his c4df changes are gold - once we've got that locked down, and this gets a day or two of testing, we'll see the next version.

Version is not savegame compatible (due to continued work on caching model).

Online as of 11:15pm EST.

Downloads Folder

Things to look out for: AI quirks (always), UI quirks/issues, missing yields/abilities, misbehaving cached yields or beliefs, and incorrect text.

Known bugs:

• UI tooltips for culture showing yields, but not % modifiers.
    • 'Decline of your pantheon' notification popup no longer needed (as religion no longer decays like that).

Small request: if someone could help me organize all the patchnotes since the last official version, that'd be awesome. What a chore!

Cheers,
    Gazebo

2. Kolaris

Kolaris Warlord

Bit of a nerf to Hanging Gardens though, since you're locked into the lesser +20% building even if you have access to fresh water. I like the idea however.

3. Gazebo

A little, yeah. Could make it give baths, though (to be fair) it is the the strongest of the three ancient policy wonders at this point.

G

4. supracseduch

supracseduch Warlord

I'm loving the changes to founder beliefs already. Going military is much more interesting now. This could be just what the Zulu needed to become less one-dimensional. Just one question: Who enhances/reforms the religions corresponding to captured holy cities? The original founder or the capturer?

Also, I appreciate the extra science from Palace a lot, as well as the other science changes. Great work as always.

5. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

This alone is worth the upgrade to the next beta. Well done.

6. Acken

Acken Deity

7. zeta

zeta Mod Addict

So, this is like Winged Hussars? Hmmh, let's see how this works... Kinda doubtful thou.

8. Funak

Funak Deity

Really....?
    Not only did give them a promotion that's terrible, but you also removed their +1 movement and +15% bonus when attacking? Can't you at least discuss these things before bulldozing them through?

Sounds good.

Sounds extremely boring.
    The walls I really don't care about, but 1/10pop on an ancient era building just looks silly.
    The Mayan and Arabian things just looks really awful. I don't care if it plays well, it looks boring as all hell. I don't feel the slightest pull towards ever playing them again, that's how boring +1 numbers look.
    If having science on stuff just doesn't work anymore, then remove the science, add something else instead.

Sounds good

Only really natural.

9. Funak

Funak Deity

Buglist so far:
    God of Commerce provides no yields at all from city-connections, at least those formed by rivers for Askia (I'm reloading to a previous save and picking another pantheon, so I'll never see if building actual roads works)
    God of All Creation provides no happiness as far as I can see, culture and faith seems to work fine however.
    Note: God of All Creation happiness actually started working once I founded a religion, really weird.
    I can't generate great general points at all.
    Knowledge through Devotion doesn't work.
    Cathedral of S:t Basil provides a free social policy once again.
    University of Sankore provides its old +1 pop to missionaries effect
    I'm guessing quite a few wonders fell back into old habits, would take a look at most of them if I was you:

10. Gazebo

The 'under the hood' changes related to reform/enhance are still tied to a religion's actual founder (because of how data is set on founding). I can try and fiddle with this some, but it's a bear. Right now, the changes about relate just to the beliefs one chosen, not the process of choosing.

Beta. I'd rather throw in a change, see what sticks, and go from there, thanks. If I waited for the end of every discussion we'd still be working on policy trees. :)

Besides, someone requested a ranged variant of the hussar's promotion some time ago (it was on my requests list), so it felt like a good time to knock that out.

G

11. joosegoose25

joosegoose25 King

For what it's worth, I'd much rather see it nerfed by removing some of the food than by locking you into the weaker building. It feels kind of cheap.

Downloading and installing now, can't wait to try out these religion changes. :goodjob:

12. Funak

Funak Deity

Not as much locking, as it forces you to just sell the building off once the wonder is done.

13. joosegoose25

joosegoose25 King

Either way, I don't like it. It'd be like getting a free regular building even though you have a unique version of it. It's more fun to just grant the UB than make you sell off the regular one.

14. Funak

Funak Deity

Hey, I don't like it either. I don't like the change between the garden and the bath at all, mostly because the garden is already established.

15. Acken

Acken Deity

Great general points are not generated

16. Dallandra

Dallandra Chieftain

I am pretty glad that I've had no time to try any of the new betas lately. Except for the "under the hood" changes, literally every other change so far has made me want to play with CBP less and less.

I was against the science changes from the very beginning and we're starting to see now why. There's a massive tail on it, which is slowly gutting every other science-related ability (1 per 10 pop from the Babylon wall now? Really? Might as well not exist). You can say "oh, it all just needs a bit of tweaking!", but this is all tweaking that was not needed in the first place. The one game I did manage to start up was slow and boring and the science changes simply don't scale well with higher game speeds in the slightest. The fact that you just added at least some scaling science back onto the palace so early game doesn't slow to a crawl is all the confirmation that I need to see that this isn't really working.

The changes to wonder unlocking would've alleviated the slow science progression (and thus slow GAME progression in general) a bit, but then that got murdered again by being tied to techs once again. It was discussed before that the idea behind #policy requirements was as an alternate way of unlocking wonders for low-tech civs or games, now it's just yet another restriction on them that just hinders everyone instead of giving more gameplay choices.

I'm not going to comment on the ranged unit changes, since I didn't get to try those yet, but I agree with Funak's comment that the Musketeer got the worst possible promotion there. The last thing I want my ranged units to do is randomly chase targets away. That should be not a thing at all or controlled, happening every X attacks or just being guaranteed. As it is though, that promotion could make an otherwise good unit useless.

17. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

Do you need the changes to reflect which patch they are from?
    If not, I'm almost finished with the first part, then I'm onto updating similar entries and deleting generic modifications ('Fixed bugs from github requests', or whatever).

18. Natura

Natura Warlord

I don't know about the musketeer change, but I would say that if any ranged unit really fit with the idea of forcing retreating, it would be machine guns.

G, might it be easier to just make the Musketeer the Tercio replacement for the French? With generic Musketmen backing them up?

19. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Can't you just sell the building and build a Baths once you get the tech?

I like that it feels my feedback was implemented, I completely disagree with Funak about +1s being boring. With the current system those decreases are necessary I think. Nice changes all around except for the Musketeer - I don't think the promotion is weak (+50% damage most of the time can't be weak), I just preferred the old Musketeer.

20. Senteliks

Senteliks Warlord

I am not only one who will have say in this but nerfing Brazil won't make it more appealing or interesting. That's main beef with it, not it'soverperformance because of it's UA.