1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta - September 17th (9-17)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Sep 17, 2017.

1. kawyua

kawyua Warlord

Yep. I'm quite annoyed about this, too. I have to make sure that the science I'm going to get from opening progress doesn't complete a tech for that 15 culture. Its a small micro, but just losing a free 15(??) culture because I didn't notice it completed a tech makes me reload every time.

Skidizzle likes this.
  2. randomnub

randomnub Prince

Yes, this early you don't have the worker to upgrade the revealed resources, most of the time you're still producing monument/shrine/warrior, so it's about sacrificing maybe 1-2 food/hammer per some turns for 15 culture (that makes your worker spawn quicker so you'll get back those yelds).

Edit: I'm probably in the situation where delaying a tech nets me the biggest yeld disadvantage: Amsterdam has like 0 production and I'm sure 'something' is going to appear in those plains/water (I'm also delaying trapping), being 39 bakers away from a tech when Progress opener is going to net me 40 irked me no little.

Nonetheless, in the worst situation I'm giving up on ~10 hammers from a couple tiles for 15 culture (and earlier worker/equality probably).

civtech2.png

For better results, I should have started research Pottery 2 turns earlier and then go back to AH. Sometime I remember to micro, sometime I forget, sometime I don't know yet what ancient policy I'm going to unlock until it's too late.

It just feels like unnecessary hassle.

Also on this topic... it would be GREAT if the bonus beakers awarded by Progress didn't go into a random tech, when you're not beelining something, but worked like all other bonus beakers and could be used for any tech (showing all available techs on tree x beaker closer to completition, but in practice once you select the next one to research, the beakers overflow only in that direction).

That would also prevent some rage-inducing overflow into techs you have no desire to research yet, but you forgot to select a tech path yet, or just got a bonus citizen ruin.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Sundance Kid and ElliotS like this.
  3. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

In that case, I'd think about giving some flat culture for techs already discovered.

4. randomnub

randomnub Prince

Sorry, compulsive editor at work.

5. Pachacutie

Pachacutie Chieftain

Hi
    1. Thanks for this great mod.
    2. I wanted to ask if there is a chance the disappearing Yield icons bug will be fixed some day.
    I played many hundred of hours with the icons turned always on that i'm just too used to it.
    Then I thought that I'm not the only long time noob who cant't play without the icons, so I can imagine it's a turnoff for some new players trying out the mod.
    I already read on github this won't be fixed some time ago. But how is the current status on this issue?

6. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

Does refreshing icons (using 2 times the "y" key) solve this problem ?
    I think the main problem is the difficulty to reproduce this bug (not everybody has it, and even for those who have it, it is kind of random)
    If you have any new information (for example, a save where you can consistantly reproduce the disapparition of yields), making a new github issue might help them.

7. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

It's happenning to me since the first time it was reported. Not random. They get removed when there are units moving, something to do with that 'remember fog of war during the turn' thing. I agree it's annoying.

Legen, ElliotS, Bromar1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Aldebaran1997

Aldebaran1997 Prince

+1

Legen and dpshw like this.
  9. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Civ's UI is hard coded in ways we can't control.

Re: the instant yield from progress, can't have an instant yield causing an instant yield, as it can potentially cause an infinite loop. The CN tower was causing this for example.

10. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

It took me some time to figure what this means... figures.

Well, I'm clueless on how to stop that micromanaging, then.

11. thecraftybee

thecraftybee Warlord

If it were up for a vote, I would want this too. If I ever go for TOA, I probably already have a Granary up in the city I'm wanting to build it in, and the sense that I'm wasting some of the benefit of the wonder is slightly annoying. Minor quibble though, but much appreciated if changed.

Bromar1 and Txurce like this.
  12. Beniito

Beniito Warlord

I reckon that tourism is too strong when it comes to ideologies. In my last game Mongolia picked an ideology and literally the next turn they had a revolution. the rest of the game lacked diversity as well, as soon as someone picked an ideology, they had a revolution a few turns later. in my opinion there isn't an effective way to combat another civ's tourism.
    How do you guys stop other civ's from becoming influential over you ?

saamohod likes this.
  13. hokath

hokath King

I agree with this. Any time I have a city capable of contending this, it will certainly have the granary already.

14. Pachacutie

Pachacutie Chieftain

Thanks, but it only helps for the moment. And it's an immersion breaker to refresh it everytime. I'd rather try to get used to play without the icons.

Ok but i got my answer i guess. Gazebo said the bug has something to do with the hardcoded part of the ui. So not fixable as I understood. I'm a total noob but I think i know what he means.

15. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Yeah, we've mucked about with it quite a bit and I don't see an easy solution.

G

16. randomnub

randomnub Prince

Figured, what about granting 10 culture per previously researched tech?

Also, well, since you're here... funny behaviour after a peace deal, the multiplication of crabs. I'm receiving both a crab resource (the only one Celts had) and the city that was granting it to the previous owner: result, double crabs. There are 4 of them in the whole map, 1 in Amsterdam, 1 in Dublin, 2 somewhere else, but the imported one counts as one more for my haxxed monopoly.

civnedbug.png

17. Mitch.sp

Mitch.sp Warlord

I've mixed feelings about. It's true that is the only wonder giving a building from a previous tier and in a different path, but on the other side is in my opinion the ancient wonder with greater influence during the rest of the game and this buff (even if the bonus to archery unit production is removed taking the military part of the wonder the free barracks) could be too much.

And as a related note there's another odd situation with Great Lighthouse and Carthage, being the only free building awarded by a wonder already provided by a civ UA.

18. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

That's different. You don't spend hammers building the lighthouse, nor did you research a different tech to get it (in fact you get it immediately). In other words there's no opportunity cost.

Honestly the issue only exacerbated because of how important Pottery is for Settlers, and Granary being the first major tile upgrade building. More often than Not, you'll have a Granary up in your capital by the time you get to Military Theory.

Anyway, this is an inconsistency which should be resolved. Barracks is the most logical choice.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  19. Psikus

Psikus Chieftain

Right now, the workaround for that bug (the one I use, anyway) is for the user to manually turn off the yield icons, then on again. Could it be possible to do that automatically, say, at the start of each turn?

saamohod likes this.
  20. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

I support Temple or Artimas getting a free Barracks. I think it's unintuitive how it gives a granary. Might need to increase cost a tad though to balance it.