1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - February 18th (2-18)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I just had a really good early game skirmish which showcased the new archer/warrior/horseman paradigm, so here are my notes:

1) The new warrior is a beast. He does big damage to the archer, but honestly what really makes him good is he is incredibly tanky. My archers are doing 15ish damage to an AI warrior now (aka with their early promotions). So even if the warriors aren't "killing" me per say....its very hard to move ground on them, especially if they are camping in their territory and healing.

2) My skirmish was against a satellite city, which had an 8 CS with its warrior garrison, and a 5 RCS. What let me start to make ground was the introduction of a horseman. My horse made mincemeat of the archer and let me finally tank and kill the warriors well enough to push forward.

3) After a lot of fighting I finally got my 4 archers on the city. During this siege I saw 3 CS levels:

a) 8 with the warrior.
    b) 12 once the warrior upgraded to a spearman.
    c) 10 once the spearman died but walls got finished right on time. (the city was at half health at this point).

Ultimately....the CS numbers didn't stop my archers. It took longer than it once did but I had no trouble bringing the city down. So ultimately my attack was effective....but much more difficult than would have been before. It took a lot more time and effort, and without the horseman I might have stalled out.

So in general, I like where the numbers have come out, with the exception of the 4 CS for the archer. I agree with PAD that this makes the archer too vulnerable to horseman and barb horseman....and I don't think its needed. Even with a 5 CS, my warriors would do plenty of damage, and more importantly....still tank those archer hits like champs. And then god help the archer once the spearman is on the field. I'll see if my opinion changes after some more battles, but other than the CS change, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Skidizzle, cerk, vyyt and 4 others like this.
  2. corona88

corona88 Chieftain

Pioneer bug now move to colonist. Pioneer is now ok, but colonist have wrong cost

3. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Fair enough that you only work on Diplomacy, but you were still arguing the point and I think mine still had to be made either way, so there. :p

What year is 2010 in game turn time, just to be clear?

Also, unless I'm confusing this Civ with another Civ, I still thought the goal of this spaceship was Alpha Centauri, which is something that ought to be long past 2010.

I consider a time Victory (500 turns) to be something for if everything else fails, but at least in principle those 500 turns should at least be plausible and somewhat meaty. So I can see a Science ending (if uninterrupted) around turn 450 or 460, but my last 3 or so games have been 390-410, which strikes me as quite early. So that's what I'm going by - # of turns, not the stardate: that's something that could be artificially adjusted after the fact.

Kim Dong Un and Recursive like this.
  4. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

lol

5. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

No? Colonist is more expensive for a reason.

G

JamesNinelives likes this.
  6. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Why are you even spamming new versions every 2 weeks ? Fix the damn civilopedia and explain the rules. Otherwise project RIP.

Hit me up when you do that I might return then.

If this obscurity continues the devs might be the only guys playing their mod in the future.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  7. ASCII Guy

ASCII Guy Chieftain

People like you are the problem, not the devs spending their time working on a free mod.

8. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Cool, man!

These are developing betas, of course they are coming frequently. If you want to play and not bother with play testing, just pick the last stable beta.
    It should be this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-version-july-17th-7-17.647817/

WarDude76, Skidizzle, vyyt and 3 others like this.
  9. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Why is it my fault that there are no clear rules anywhere ? There are no rules and now it is my fault that I don't get it ?

10. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Let me ask you. Is unhappiness based on empire yields or on global yields ?

11. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

I am just tired of playing detective and figuring out the rules. I should be playing and enjoying the game, not unravelling its mystery rules.

12. Surfal

Surfal Chieftain

You're being confrontational and all that needs a change is for you to stop ugrading every beta. It's on you, but you're blaming developers who are working hard for free. Should you really even be here? What have you contributed to the project? Do you even understand what beta is?

13. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

I have no issue with betas even when I know that MEGA pays a dollar per download.

My issue is that there is no comprehensive detailed help for a strategy game.

14. Maxxim69

Maxxim69 Chieftain

While we're on the subject of payment, may I ask you how much you paid for this mod to make the kind of demands you're making?

WarDude76, Hinin, Skidizzle and 6 others like this.
  15. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Allow me to rewrite your post to be a constructive useful message that might get you what you want, instead of a steaming pile of garbage that makes you look like a fool.

"G,

I appreciate all of the new updates, some of them look really great. However, one issue I am finding is that a lot of the new mechanics are confusing to me, and the tooltips and civiliopedia are not staying updated. I would appreciate if the devs could allocate a little time on those updates for the moment instead of new features.

Thank you very much for everything you do."

16. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Why would I pay for strategy game without clear rules ? Show me one product with this feature ? Do you know how much Firaxis/2K spends on promoting their game, people like Marbozir and other promotersall over youtube to make the game accessible to the audience with clear rules and to lessen the learning curve and explain the rules and math behind ? It is all about the rules, the accessibility to a product.

But it is more profitable to spam betas every two weeks than prepare a full comprehensive and detailed rule book. Understandable.

17. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Cut with the name calling

18. ashendashin

ashendashin King

Being pretty forgiving here.
    G is clearly a millionaire who doesn't deserve polite requests. His superiors at MEGA must be sent complaints in order to crack down on his laziness.

Report button people. That said I kinda wanna see G's response to that hilarious tidbit.

WarDude76, Hinin, vyyt and 2 others like this.
  19. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

There is another problem. Writing a rulebook is much more harder than making a new beta. Not only it is hard to make excellend detailed book on the mechanics, but it becomes even pointless to make such provided rules change every few weeks. It is impossible task for any dev to write it. And writing it means going into the mechanics and looking the equations and synthesizing them. It is colossal task. But new betas don't help with that at all.

20. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Someone might rightfully say that since these are only betas it makes no sense to prepare the final rules yet in detail.

But I ask this question. So how are you evaluating the betas without rules ?