1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - March 15th (3-15)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Cokolwiek

Cokolwiek Warlord

We should ask devs. Are you sure you hadn't constructed any buildings during that or not reassigned citizen to non-food tiles, thus altering yields? Anyway why are you working farms and have 42 food in a locked city?

2. SilentReply

SilentReply Chieftain

I'm pretty sure - I had to have been building the windmill for some turns. I'm going to keep an eye out for this in future games.

I was working the farms because it was needed a few turns ago to maintain happiness - that had changed by the time I took the screenshot. I don't reallocate citizens in every city every turn.

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Standard King Byzantium on Communitas_79. DV on Turn 501 (yes that number is right).

So I embraced my fall from Emperor grace back to King with a serious but "roleplay-esque" game. I was with Byzantium, the chosen of god, and attendant of the holy island (aka was by myself on an island). So I created a few challenges for myself.

1) I never spread my religion to cities unless requested first.
    2) Any CS that requested my religion (aka religion quest) had embraced the way and was to become a protectorate of the great kingdom. They always got converted, allied, and a pledge of protection on them.
    3) Never declare war.
    4) Always be peaceful in diplomacy (unless their denoucements insulted my beliefs, and then it was on!....which happened way more often than I expected!).
    5) Can only win by DV or CV (or if every just happens to convert to my religion that's ok too), and must have the World Religion.

I had some funny moments...such as Polynesia was my besty for a long time...one of the heathen people I believed might one day see the light. And then he GP converted one of my cities! I amassed the faith's royal protectorate (inquisitors), and immediately denounced Polynesia! I stripped his filth from my city....and then sent a great swath of missionaries to all of my cities to ensure the filth had spread no farther. And from that day forth, Polynesia and I were enemies.

This was also a game in which I made both the Arsenal and the Military base +24 CS as a test to see if these numbers were more to my liking defense wise. My notes:

1) I knew lower difficulties had slower speeds, but my god it was turn 501 and I had just gotten globalization (none of the other end techs), and I was the tech leader. I have no earthly idea why my science was so slow, while I didn't max it out, I certainly didn't slouch in it either.

2) King was still surprisingly competitive. There were no real runaways, and Assyria was tech to tech with me until the very end of the game. Their fleets still felt endless too. Ultimately though it did feel less competitive, and I never really believed I would lose.

3) I decided the Fealty and Order were the best fits for me rp wise, so it was interesting trying to go DV with them. Damn...statecraft and freedom got a lot of free votes:( I had almost all of the CS but Siam was still keeping up with me because of all the free votes. My clincher at the end was resurrecting Polynesia, who became my vassal (finally put in their proper place for their devilry 1000s of years ago....we never forget). This gave me an immediate boost of 4 votes for global hegemony, which was exactly what I needed to win.

4) World Religion is still way too common. Everybody makes a stab for it at one time or another, and several will do it over and over and over again.

5) Defense wise, the updated arsenal felt really good (already noted some things in an earlier post). The +24 on the military base may have been too much, as the late game Assyrian cities had 125 - 145 CS. Of course that said, I am chucking Drill III modern armor which is 200 CS against cities, and Siege II Volley Rocket Artillery is 225...so maybe that is right for a full all defense building investment. Overall though, it never felt too high (though admittedly I was the tech leader). My troops still cut through the cities pretty quickly...just not immediately like before.

6) Diplomatically, I did feel the "gaminess" of the AI. I was as nice as I could possibly be. I accepted every request for help, traded with everyone, never converted anyone forcibly. If I did get attacked, I let the CSes take the city or even liberated some of their cities. I think the one that really grinded my gears was once I liberated one of Carthage's cities...and she declared on me like two turns later! It just came down to....I was going to win....so everyone declared on me for about half the game (in round robin like fashion). What was weird though is that for the last 10 turns I had my first turn no wars forever....it was like everyone just said "ok you win".

7) I tried out subs a lot in this game....and in general I don't see the appeal. Even with wolfpack 3 I don't feel I am doing that much more damage than my logistics cruisers (at this point I like at attacks needed to kill, I don't really care about the actual damage). Subs are weaker on defense....and cannot attack the land. As I've said before, in civ, navy....is about the land. So while I built some of them and used them...I never went "I'm glad I have this instead of a cruiser".

8) Order feels really good at this point, nearly all of the policies were appealing to me for one thing or another.

cerk, Maxxim69, Erikose and 2 others like this.
  4. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives King

What beliefs did you pick? Curious about what other people like to take as Byzantium.

Edit: also, congrats on 6,000 messages!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    glider1 likes this.
  5. azum4roll

azum4roll Prince

Their niche is move after attacking (which you get with logistics ranged ships... IMO logistics should be removed from them) and being stealthy. And they carry missiles.

vyyt likes this.
  6. pezit

pezit Chieftain

I don't post here normally, just come here to DL the newest version of the community patch. I've played civ games for many years now and I have to say I have never had more fun with the game than I have with a game I started on this patch, I just want to thank everyone working on this and congratulate them on an amazing job.

7. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

Funny you should say that cause I've been tweaking Pineappledan's unit tweaks to do something similar and give more specified roles to land units along with some QoL changes to certain unit lines with nerfs and buffs to certain promotions. I actually ended up removing the naval penalty for the whole siege line, granted it makes the least sense on catapults and trebuchets and the most sense on cannons. Never thought naval siege or vanguard were ever all that well balanced in the first place as an example. I do remember reading somewhere that some triremes would carry catapults on them but they weren't exactly effective in naval warfare, it was probably just for logistics related issues.

vyyt likes this.
  8. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives King

Triremes with a catapult-like ranged attack? Yes please lol.

SolutionIt likes this.
  9. SolutionIt

SolutionIt Chieftain

Well if I knew how to do a custom civ with something like that I wouldn't mind doing some kind of UU naval ranged replacement that acts a siege unit instead of a naval ranged unit for promotions. The Onager Wagon for Sumer actually does that where instead of counting as a mounted unit it counts as a melee unit, so it is capable of gaining woodsman and city assault before becoming a knight. Granted the only logical unit to do that to would be a trireme with a ballista and I'm pretty sure only Rome has ballistaes/ballistas??? on their ships?

If I had some pointers on what to learn I might finally get some incentive to improve my programming skills, I keep giving up when I can't think of a situation I'd be using it in immediately instead of for a job which would require me to have extensive knowledge to you know basically get hired.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  10. James Ryle

James Ryle Chieftain

I have an issue with my faith... Even if I have already clicked on, "Remind me later" if I generate enough faith points the game will automatically create a Great prophet. It's annoying if I'm saving for a different Great person. Anyone else have this problem?

In war stories. Even though I've not started a war I've been continually at war with other Civs for about 65 turns. The main issue is that my enemies combat strength is much higher due to the anti warmonger fervor. 3 to 5 Civs battering my boarders. My question is do Civs get a higher Warmonger penalty if they declare war as opposed to a Civ that has not declared war?

If one of the reasons I'm getting attacking so often is because of my tech lead (Never more than 3 all game. I'm now even with china and she has 3 more tenants) would it be a viable strategy to just focus more on policy tenants in the beginning (Do they cause a diplomacy penalty if I'm leading in tenants?) and let other Civs get the technology diplomacy penalty so they are the ones constantly attacked and I can try catch up in techs later...? If I did catch up my diplomacy tech penalty would still be lower than the other leading Civ as they would of had their penalty for much longer.
    It's not something I think I would do. Just wondering is that viable?

11. Legen

Legen King

Prophet purchase is automatic before Industrial. That's so you can't hoard faith for a later mass purchase of great people that your policy trees unlocked.

There's no clear diplomacy penalty for a policy lead, but there's a considerable penalty for amassing wonders, which are what cultural victories (the one type that need a policy lead) normally require.

So far, it's not worth putting yourself behind on some area on purpose, it's better to address your military in the first place. The AI is aggressive on anyone sporting a weak military, do your best to increase your supply and maintain an updated force.

12. James Ryle

James Ryle Chieftain

Thank you Legen. You have restored my Faith!

I think I'm definitely getting pummeled for amassing wonders but I did deliberately slow(I was never more than one ahead) and now have the same amount of wonders and techs as China.

I've not properly taken into the account that my military would cause such an issue. I feel I have enough units to defend(strategic placing of cities helps) and go on the offensive if the opportunity arises. That mindframe of playing had me the 5th strongest army(out of 10) in the world last I checked.
    Gotta crank out them units...
    My gold per turn is pretty low though so it's difficult to upgrade. Maybe a greater focus on Great Merchants will help.

JamesNinelives and vyyt like this.
  13. andersw

andersw King

Tried a bit of immortal and yuck I'm not good enough at the real early warmongering as I usually attack with trebs unless someone is behind on flatland.
    (I did an immortal stomp with mongolia but they are a special kind of op.)
    Getting out settled, 8 techs behind when I get to classic, almost no barb spawn points anymore and not getting religion.
    Yeah my playstyle (first build up infra and a handful of cities and get a religion) does not work well for these circumstances.
    Start was good (not insane) but I guess poland+babylon+maya for techs and china+carthage for settling made me feel behind.
    Edit: on a side note I had an abandoned game where I lost Stonehenge on emperor T46 (epic speed).

14. tynian

tynian Chieftain

Hello. Sorry for the dumb question but i didnt find a simple answer elsewhere, so here i go :

-How should i install this beta ?

The link gives 2 files which seems identic. Which one must i download and where should it go ?
    I m already running the autoinstaller version : which files should i delete before installing the beta version.

I wish to "migrate" to the beta to use the more ressources mod (tin, rubber etc..), and that requires beta.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

15. andersw

andersw King

3.15 is the current VoxPopuli beta version.
    3.15.x (atm 3.15.2) is the hotfixed VP beta version and this one is the only you need and its installed the same way as its always been.
    There sometimes issues for ppl who have installed in non standard locations.
    (I think you have to unsubscribe or uninstall any civ 5 mods you have through steam.)
    To start a game with the mod you have to click mods, check all that you want to use (usually all) and then start game.
    Other mods compatible? check with those mod creators if they are compatible with VP.

16. tynian

tynian Chieftain

Since i used the autoinstaller i dont know how this file gets installed "the same way as it always been". I'm not a veteran Civ5 modder... I just sticked to steam workshop and vox populi installer till now.
    So sorry if it seems dumb, but i really dont know where to put that file...

And yes more ressource for VP is made especially for VP and needs latest VP beta to work, thus my current need to install this beta. ^^ (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1981813954)

So as a novice civ 5 mod user, i just need to know : what shoul i uninstall from the files installed by the auto install (from the july 2019 version) ? And where must i install the beta file.

Because i guess 2019 and beta would clash.

Thx in advance for any answer.

17. andersw

andersw King

I think the steam VP version is old and outdated, you should probably uninstall it, I've never used or needed it.

18. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I'll try to put specifics on Githhub, but I will note that the 3/15 version I have had a decent number of CTDs. Nothing game breaking (I've never not been able to keep going after a restart).

I note this because I was one of the few who never had a single CTD in the last two versions (when so many people were having the problem), so maybe something with my configuration could be of help to you all in troubleshooting that.

19. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

I'd advise you to do a clean install as follows:
    1.) Go to C:\Users\Your_Username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS . This is the folder where civ5 mods live.
    2.) Delete all VP files that are already there. Depending on what did you install (full VP, CP only, etc.) they go from (1) Community Patch (2) Community Balance Patch ... (7a) Promotion icons for VP (7b) UI - promotion tree for VP.
    3.) Download the beta from the link in the thread. If you see multiple options, the latest usually contains changes / fixes based on feedback, so I'd suggest to download that.
    4.) Run the installer, choose what do you want to install and the installer will place it in your mods folder.

It'll delete the cache as well so you don't need to bother with it. As a general rule of thumb, I advise you to download the newest version from civfanatics forum instead of steam.

20. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

Which stage do you get the crashes? I've been reaching late industrial in a couple of games now (then restarting cuz of mods lol) and never had any crash so far.