1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - March 15th (3-15)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. youngsteve

youngsteve Warlord

I thought so. You certainly get through games quickly. Takes me an age to get anywhere in a game. Mind you, that is true of all strategy games not just this one.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Kim Dong Un and tu_79 like this.
  2. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

I agree with that. Post Industrial Naval Melee units are too much powerfull vs cities. With a base CS already high, the bonus vs Cities (33) is too much IMO

Kim Dong Un and Heinz_Guderian like this.
  3. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Only thing I can think of is if they had been sanctioned.

4. andersw

andersw Emperor

Had a game where three remaining AIs were Zulu, Mongolia and Persia, could have been interesting.
    Great wall is still too op, in this case was combined with range 3 units and mt kilimanjaro, it was not pretty.

5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I'll keep saying it. The fact that this damage number:

Spoiler :

upload_2020-3-30_21-24-43.png

is larger than this number

Spoiler :

upload_2020-3-30_21-24-56.png

Is not okay. #buffhelos

6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Standard Emperor Inca on Communitas_79. Win (SV) on Turn 414.

Overall I pretty standard game, not too many things to talk about. I did once again try my Arsenal +24 CS and Military Base +24 CS. My notes:

1) The Order tree is very solid now. I pretty much like everything there, and I've considered every policy at one time or another.
    2) Its an old one, but I do want to give the devs credit on the Granary +75 food on completion change (for you newbies playing its actually still a more recent addition!). This was a very elegant change, and gives me some extra thought in my early order. Its a light touch, but one of my favorite changes.

3) The Ottomans were a strong contender against me, with nearly 1500 higher score than I. Even with Autocracy they were neck and neck with on policies and science...but I think they were too focused on their earlier victory conditions. It seemed clear the Ottomans wanted DV....but he never cracked 33 votes due to a large number of Open Door CS, it wasn't in the cards. He had a play for CV, except for me (everyone else was influential....but he wouldn't crack me for turns and turns). Meanwhile, SV was an option....I had the better production but he had a giant army...and with a real committed force + nuclear weapons might have tripped me up. Instead he never made a single SS part...and I just cruised to victory.

4) As you can see in the screenshots below, I had 3 coastal cities this game. They were under constant assault, and though the AI did get Arequipa down to 25% health at one point, I was able to hold with my better CS defenses. Next game I'm going to try +18 for each building to see if I think that is a good middle ground or if +24 is still the right number. Regardless, something I think is important to note when people think about late game defenses. In my screenshot below, you can see that Arequiba has 78 CS. That is all the trimmings, every defense building in the game (ignore ICA that has the red fort). Pretty scary and impressive right? However, note that as soon as I move in a modern armor....

Spoiler :

upload_2020-3-30_21-44-7.png

Spoiler :

upload_2020-3-30_21-42-24.png

all of that defensive building manages to do is increase my CS by 6. So in terms of very late game, even if defensive buildings are lower than the +24 I am using...high end late game units will still give your cities big CS numbers.

5) Goddess of Nature was humming this game. I even got one city with a +7 faith, food, and gold bonus! (and was 2 turns away from getting Manchu Picchu in that same city!). But yeah this game was driven by Nature the whole time.

6) @Gazebo, Zeros can kill full health heavy bombers with a single interception. Now I like my interception strong so I don't mind, but I think that was stronger than you had intended.

7) Promotion wise for naval, I am finding Boarding Party II / Dreadnought I an attractive opener. BP II is essential to stop boarding party promotions (they will kill you in open water), and the dreadnought adds some toughness. The core promotions are really good so I don't mind not getting the special promotions as early.

8) I think Hubble could be nerfed to either 1 GS, or 2 GS but no extra SS part production bonus. I think the wonder is a bit too good right now for SV....and just blitzes you through the information era.

9) Diplomatically, it was the usual song and dance, constant wars, gang up wars, yadda yadda Healthcliff already knows. However, what I did find interesting is....even though the Ottomans had also build a lot of wonders (18 to my 24)….had more than 50% higher score than me...and had Autocracy when most of the world had freedom...I still got way more war declarations than he did. He did get some....but no where near the extent.

I have to believe it was their perception of my military strength...but even when I'm at cap I'm always behind the AI in perceived strength, so I do think that needs to be looked at.

7. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Agreed.
    I love it!
    That does seem odd. Defensive buildings still increase the hit points of the city by a lot though, right?

8. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Ended a game early but thought it was interesting so I'll share a little here.

I started kinda stuck between a bunch of other civs and didn't manage to build most of the wonders I was going for. In the circumstance I was actually very happy with the AI aggression because the AI asked me to participate in several joint wars against the biggest threats (France and then Russia). I was behind them in tech but not being the only one in the fight made me very happy :).

Spoiler :
    20200331031730_1.jpg

Authority Russia was doing very well with Tutelary Gods + Scolarship + Thrift. Which suggests to me that Tutelary Gods is in a good place right now (although I'd still prefer a less esoteric name).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. danymatrix

danymatrix Chieftain

Hi. is there a new version in sight?

10. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Hey which version of the map were you using? Is the number of strategics good?

11. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

1.15. Generally yes. I find that most of the time I have a decent number (but not huge number) of strategics. And then in certain games I'll be missing a key one and have to consider options to acquire it, or work without it.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  12. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Happiness is still an oddball to me in the various games I've been playing lately. I mentioned in previous reports that I have put a stronger emphasis on growth and working through the unhappiness. In general this has been an effective strategy, but the amount I still deal with happiness by the mid game (turns 250ish), still feels very random.

Some games I am at near 100% and I barely even think about happiness. Others I am floating right around 50%, and I play the seesaw game with my cities (city grows, gains like 5-6 unhappiness, and I have to calm it back down).

In my current game, my main cities are showing distress as the main source, and yet farms/mines.lakes are my primary tiles. If it had been poverty or boredom I at least could have pointed to a lack of towns or something...but distress?

So the system gives me the tools to fight it, I just have no earthly idea why my unhappiness is the way it is one game to the next.

13. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

Have you taken into account of what civ you are playing against? Assuming that all these unhappiness are still tied somewhat to global yields (that's how little I know about mechanics of happiness), different civs can make a difference with what sort of yields they prioritize. UA, UB and UI can make a pretty big difference in those cases.

14. andersw

andersw Emperor

I'm happy to see that agressive AI's can roll over other AI's and that they actually use their units.
    For some reason (in my small sample size) Denmark have a tendency to cave in, in this game to a very strong Greek AI who went authority->statecraft and controlled almost all citystates, ran away in techs, wonders (not too bad in policys).
    Does the AI struggle with the runestone/berserker window or maybe just a fluke (its happened more than once), seems I will have to give it a go.
    Reccurring issues seems to be the city names disappearing and missionary/inquisitor not having an effect.

15. andersw

andersw Emperor

I've notices this as well, sometimes going up in happiness when conquering a city.

16. Legen

Legen King

About this change, can the yields from trade routes return to the Capital?

The issue is that Venice is nerfed by this patch's change, as the puppets have halved faith generation. It also makes Great Prophets more likely to spawn outside the Capital, depending on where the trade routes are concentrated.

17. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Please try 1.16. It's been a thing for a long time now :crazyeye:

I'd like feedback on both strategic and tree amounts.

18. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Alright next game I'm doing it (btw, the main thread still shows 1.15 as your main map, is 1.16 a test?)

A note I would like to repeat, I still think the Galleasses needs a bit more oomph. Probably just +1 movement speed would be fine, I don't mind that it has equal speed to the caravel because the caravel has so much greater mobility...its still going to be my go to explore the map ship.

19. Bromar1

Bromar1 King

Galleasses (gallei?) kinda suck. I always just wait for frigates

20. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

My bad. Fixing now.