1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - March 15th (3-15)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. vyyt

vyyt Deity

@Gobbledygook5000 :

1) As far as I know Continents Plus puts city states on islands - that is a feature :) ... and the reason why I never play this map script

2) Re EUI: Your Steam / Civ5 is installed in a non-default location - on drive D: I suppose. Sadly, the current autoinstaller is unable to deal with it and creates the Steam/Civ5 folder structure in the default location on your drive C: and installs EUI there. The game does not pick it up then. What you have to do is delete the mess from the manual install, run autoinstaller again and then manually move EUI (= UI_bc1 folder) from the wrong/default location C: to correct/non-standard location on D: (the folder structure will be the same as on C: )

There was a discussion about gathering money to purchase a better autoinstaller program which would be capable of detecting where to put EUI correctly. Your case is quite common.

Maxxim69 and JamesNinelives like this.
  2. Gobbledygook5000

Gobbledygook5000 Chieftain

No, that wasn't it. I had manually installed it to both directories and was still encountering those problems. Anyway, even after reinstalling the whole game and deleting the extra directory, and trying three different versions of EUI, I am still getting the same issues. I have now just tried versions v1.28g, v1.29beta43a, v1.29beta44. In all of these versions, I cannot select a unit. At least, when I select a unit there is no audio or visual cue. The unit is selected and I can move it, but I hear nothing when I click on it and there's no highlighted hex around the unit. Also, I'm not seeing flags on any units: mine, enemy AI, or Barbs.

And I'm not the only one encountering these issues. Several people here talking about similar problems: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/enhanced-user-interface.512263/page-156
    Someone in that thread said this: "There seems to be an incompatibility with the Community Patch and this version of EUI. When both mods are enabled, you cant click or even move your units. Is there gonna be a fix for this?"

And later on @bc1 answered that question with a simple, "No."

So, I'm uninstalling EUI for now, unless someone here can recommend/link me a version without these issues.

3. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

Continents++ fixes that CS placement issue- it's the only map script I play typically.

JamesNinelives, Kim Dong Un and vyyt like this.
  4. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

Continents++ attached here if you want to give it a try.

Attached Files:

JamesNinelives likes this.
  5. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

Upcoming diplomacy changes for next version (mostly backend changes):
    Code:
    Bugfixes and performance improvements
    - Fixed a bug in GetBestApproachTowardsMinorCiv that was excessively reducing the AI's likelihood of attacking City-States
    - Strategic approach weight for vassalage / Open Borders now applied correctly
    - Diplo type now stored in memory rather than recomputed every time it is called (also can be modified more easily now, via SetMajorDiploType)
    - Removed a useless memory value
    - Still investigating: wonder spammer penalty possibly applying to World Congress projects / Corporation HQ
    - Fixed an issue involving peace treaties
    - Fixed an issue where difficulty bonuses for completing a trade route to another major civ were not being applied
    - AI should no longer make DoFs/DPs with players it's planning a coop war against, and these players now have 0 weight when deciding which other players to make DoFs/DPs with.
    - Code cleanup

Approach
    - AI now remembers its approaches towards players last turn and passes this on to the GetBestApproachTowardsMajor/MinorCiv functions.
    This means that the order in which approaches are updated now has zero effect on the approach calculation.

- AI now has dedicated functions for updating major civ approach under a few special circumstances: Towards teammates, when it is at permanent war (possible with modmods like RAS),
    when it is a human shadow AI (to improve performance), when it has no cities, and towards major civs that have no cities. These functions now log and store approach values normally,
    so they won't be absent from the logs, and if circumstances change so one of these is not applicable, it can resume using the normal function without any bugs or sudden jumps.

- AI now uses its "diplo type" when deciding which city-states are better to befriend.

- AI no longer has an exception when ranking and subtracting weight from major civ approaches for the NEUTRAL approach, so should be more likely to adopt a variety of approaches (experimental)

Reckless Expander / Wonder Spammer
    - Now applies gradually rather than applying a large penalty after crossing a threshold
    - Wonder spammer penalty is capped at -60 (-80 for cultural/conquerors), only applies to non-cultural players if they're nearby, and scales less per built Wonder
    - Now uses the difference from the median rather than the global average, with a check to make sure a reckless expander/wonder spammer is also above the global average
    - Opinion penalty now based on the difference from the median OR the difference between the civs, whichever is lower

Balance Changes
    - Highest warscore bonus from Cult of Personality now only applies if you're actually AT war with a player

- Difficulty bonuses from historic events now apply even if the AI does not have a tourism bonus for achieving that historic event. So, for instance, they will always gain Gold when completing a trade route
    or archaeological dig, regardless of what buildings they've constructed or policies they have; they will always gain extra yields upon entering a Golden Age, etc. This should result in more consistent bonuses.
    Logging now also differentiates between completing a trade route to a major civ (land or sea), a City-State, and a dig.

- Added 2 extra base unit supply per era for post-Ancient Era starts, to prevent having no unit supply at game start. Equivalent to expending one GG/GA every era.

6. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Sorry, I might have missed something: Are you playing with the whole Vox Populi or Community Patch only? I am not sure about Community Patch only, but if you play Vox Populi, just use EUI automatically installed by the autoinstaller (do NOT install the stand-alone EUI).

7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Atom Bombs hurt! (every hex around the city used to be a ship).

Spoiler :

upload_2020-4-4_12-32-2.png

8. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

History agrees with you.

SuperNoobCamper likes this.
  9. Gobbledygook5000

Alright I figured out the EUI. The one bundled with the auto-installer was installing (and I think creating) to a Civ 5 directory on my D: drive, even though Civ is on my C: drive. I think this is because my default Steam folder is the D: drive one. Anyway, I moved the UI_bc1 folder that's bundled with VP to the C: drive Civ directory and now everything is working together.

On another point entirely, I just want to ***** about how utterly useless and pathetic archers are in Vox Populi. What's even the point of building an archer? My archers, or even composite bowmen in the last game, are utter crap and can't do even 5% damage. In my opinion it's just bullfeathers how pathetic they are. I feel like I've wasted my time building them. In my history of Civ, going back to Civ 2 and the 90s, archers have always been a reliably awesome unit. Why, in Vox Populi, are they such utter garbage?

NikMuazHakim likes this.
  10. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

You probably need to take times to understand what VP is. Far from Civ2.
    And understand what do promotions make, what you are aiming, and what an archer become later in the game.
    VP is in construction for years. How can you believe that it made things just "pathetic" ?

You see. A first glance is never enough

11. Ragic

Ragic Chieftain

If you set sea level to low you get about half of the city states connected to or within the main continents.

JamesNinelives and vyyt like this.
  12. Gobbledygook5000

Just looking at the numbers, Archers have an attack of 5. That's weaker than a Pathfinder which is 6!! What?! A scout is 9. So, simply by the numbers, the Archer has no use whatsoever, being weaker than even a Pathfinder. In my opinion, that's absurd. An archer should be able to shred a scout or pathfinder. Instead, right now a Scout or even Pathfinder can crush an archer 1v1. The composite bowman has an attack of 11, while spearmen are already 12 and available a whole tier & era earlier. And again, a scout is already 9, so an upgraded Scout could easily flatten a Composite bowman.

And it's no use talking about promotions when all the other units are also promoting simultaneously. It's also no use talking about the what archers become in the late game if you can't make it there because you're fielding archers against spearmen and they can't even hit the spearmen for 5% damage while the spearmen can hit the archers for 40%. In conclusion, I'm going to load an earlier save and not build any archers. If I knew how to mod the numbers I would make them stronger myself.

13. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

I believe they're intentionally fragile because you're supposed to use melee units to protect them. Their strength is in a barrage from afar.

JamesNinelives and vyyt like this.
  14. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

This would be a bad idea. Archery units aren't the king of land warfare as they were in vanilla. They are still powerful supportive units in VP however. The late game is where ranged units shine, when you can field multiple rows of units and ranged attack becomes more important. Very likely, after some more games you would have situations where you would have hoped you have built more archery units.

I am a sucker for musketman.

vyyt likes this.
  15. Gobbledygook5000

I get that, but they're hitting for I would say 2% damage. It's just not nearly, nearly enough, and not worth it when I've got a huge army on my doorstep and I'm barely going to survive if I do everything right.

I'll have to worry about that when the time comes. If I go with archers now I won't even make it to the classical era.

16. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

That's where Archers are devastating.
    You can also use them to wound nasty invaders and finish them with "charge" charged and brave horsemen.

Or you can play Civ2 instead :lol:

Seriously, take your time. Early game is always difficult. Go with melees if you fell they are best. For now...

XplosiveLun likes this.
  17. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

2% damage is too low (unless circumstances are truly extreme), probably unintentional.

18. vyyt

vyyt Deity

What do you mean by 2%??? Archers deal significant damage to melee of the same era - but you have to combine them with melee. Have you even tried them or are you just assuming from numbers?

19. AnemoneMeer

AnemoneMeer Chieftain

While 2% is blatant hyperbole, I do have to agree that archers currently feel too weak. A lot of that comes down to the ample sources of terrain based defense combined with units who gain cover immediately upon creation. Archers don't really get many methods to buff their damage outside of their core promotion line, which has to compete with other units getting defense boosts from their own core promotion lines as well as all of the above. As they are countered to some extent by both horsemen and swordsmen lines for different reasons, it puts them in an awkward spot.

Probably best just to slightly increase their ranged strength as a result, or a promotion that increases damage against opponents in open terrain baseline.

20. Gobbledygook5000

2% is not a blatant hyperbole. At all. Do I need to take a pic? They do the tiniest little sliver of damage. They're utterly pathetic. Meanwhile two enemy Triremes can devastate my walled city and the unit inside from full health to 0 in 4 turns, while the city + archer can't even get a single trireme in the red in the same amount of time....... Mmk. Fun.

All in all, so far my experience with VP on Emperor is that this is some kind of sick joke for masochists. Once again in my current game, like my last one, multiple Civs declared war on me in the same turn. In this game, I stayed utterly peaceful and did my best to be friendly with everyone. I went with Morocco and Progress in a (vain) attempt to stay even on tech. I was the first to a pantheon but somehow the last to a religion with like 27 faith per turn. And then my prophet didn't even spawn in my capital and I had to waste 3 turns to get it there. Awesome.
    I built walls and kept my units at the max, but kept them away from enemy borders. Both Carthage and Zulu were at war with each other before, but neither prosecuted their war against each other seriously. They just had a few battles and then stopped. But of course against me they suddenly are ready to throw everything they've got to take a city. And of course, all their units are highly upgraded compared to mine. I've got Zulu spearmen attacking across the river to my spearmen fortified in a forest and their spearmen is doing more than double damage against mine..... Mmk. Fun. Fair and balanced! Meanwhile, my swordsmen attacking a horsemen in an open grassland gets a "minor victory."

I'd really love to see how this is possible on Emperor and above. It seems like the only legit strategy is just to constantly spam military units, go with Authority, and just kill everything and try to manage war weariness somehow. And not build useless archers.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020