New Beta Version - November 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Hey all,

Quick turnover on a new version before I head out of town.

Code:
    Diplo AI performance improvements and adjustments
    Tactical AI improvements, including some slowdown fixes
    Diplo AI options from Recursive
    Text fixes from Aqinu
    Github bugfixes and cleanup
    API: added 'yield from yield' conversion methods used on Agribusiness
Balance

Buildings:
        Agribusiness: dropped tile yields to +2; added '10% of food counts as GPT for the city.'

Wonders
        Heroic Epic: now grants free Great Writer instead of General
        Terracotta Army: revamped; now grants +5 supply; 20% tile improvement speed; +10 culture when you destroy an enemy unit in battle, scaling w/ era.
        Pyramid: removed tile improvement; added +250GAP instant bonus
    Units
        Bumped mounted ranged unit movement to 5 (was 4)

Online as of 11:45pm CST. Not savegame compatible.

Link: https://mega.nz/#F!iMNVEISb!gW3aPq-MQ-kibL0lFxrw-w

ALERT!! SEE ALSO THIS!!

1.) DOWNLOAD MAIN MOD ABOVE
2.) DOWNLOAD DLL AT #21
3.) PLACE DLL IN YOUR (1) CP FOLDER.
4.) OVERWRITE AND ENJOY.

G

Last edited:
I'm very glad to see that Terracotta Army has been revamped after the Pentagon changes. Solid changes here all around.

The new advanced diplomacy options are geared towards people who find the AI competition/aggression too problematic or want to play a more simulator/builder type of game (there have been many such comments :) ).

They are disabled by default. To enable them, go to your MODS folder and open the (1) Community Patch > Core Files > Core Changes > CoreChanges.sql file. It can be opened in any text editor.

Near the start of the file you should see the following:
Code:
-- Diplo AI Aggression Options

-- [DISABLE VICTORY COMPETITION]
-- If set to 1, the AI will not receive any aggression boosts towards competitors for victory conditions.
-- Also, you will not receive any diplomacy penalties for victory competition with the AI.
INSERT INTO Defines (Name, Value)
SELECT 'DIPLO_AI_NO_VICTORY_COMPETITION', '0';

-- NOTE: Enabling the passive AI settings below will cause the AI not to attempt Domination Victories.

-- [PASSIVE AI (HUMAN ONLY)]
-- If set to 1, AI civilizations will never initiate wars with human players.
-- Humans can still initiate wars with AI players.
SELECT 'DIPLO_AI_WAR_DISALLOWED_HUMAN', '0';

-- [PASSIVE AI (GLOBAL)]
-- If set to 1, AI civilizations will never initiate wars with other civs or City-States.
-- Humans can still initiate wars with AI players.
SELECT 'DIPLO_AI_WAR_DISALLOWED_GLOBAL', '0';

To enable a setting, change the value from 0 to 1 and save the file.

Settings are still experimental, please report any bugs with them on Github! Enjoy :)

I think the unit duplication was much more fitting for Terracota than an "authority opener" and now I guess I'll stop the pyramid opening with tradition :crazyeye:
The changes to mounted ranged and heroic epic are great (though a small nerf to my Japan :cry:).
I don't know if the change to agribusiness can be considered a nerf or not, we'll see.
Very eager to try the diplo AI changes:)

Excellent, lovely, lovely ^^.

I'm going to miss the GG on Heroic Epic greatly, but hopefully other people will be happier. Agribussiness change is a go! Agribussiness never needed a nerf (it eats up 2 horses after all), but now tile yields should feel more balanced and food has a touch more utility late-gate. Also looking forward to using Skirmishers on this version! Pyramid changes are good. Terracotta change in interesting. I wonder if the AI will value Terracotta Army differently now?

Most of all though, I am very keen to play with bugfixes and other tweaks. Thanks for your work, team. Have been awaiting this release eagerly! :)

Travel safe, G!

What's included in these?
Probably everything included in @Recursive's posts in the last thread:

Resurrecting a civ will get you a permanent +200 opinion bonus with them and clear all previous negative penalties. They also will get an approach bonus and will tend to be more cooperative with you (I added code a few versions ago so they won't send you insults and will automatically agree to things like not converting your cities, for instance).

Liberating AI cities gets you a +30/+50/+60 opinion bonus with that AI for liberating 1/2/3+ cities. The bonus is set to zero if you declare war on them (DP doesn't count). Otherwise, if you haven't liberated one of their cities for one deal duration (50 turns on standard, I believe) it is halved, and after 2x deal duration it is set to zero, although it doesn't reset the # of cities liberated. Liberating a city resets the timer for the bonus.

Liberating City-States gives you a large Influence boost and all other civs' Influence are set to zero.

Liberating AI cities (civ or City-State) will not currently get you diplo bonuses with other AIs besides the liberated civ, although liberation (depending on the size of the city and some other factors) will reduce your warmonger amount.

I have no idea when the next version will come out. :) I know G's been busy with work, so I don't know what kind of timeline you're looking at.

I'm happy you're looking forward to the new diplo fixes, but don't get too excited yet. First, the new settings I'm working on are experimental and may need bugfixing, and second, I still have work to do re: backstabbing penalties, military posture calculation and warmongering; my planned changes there are not done yet.

I can give you a "teaser" list of what I've worked on so far, assuming it actually works :)
Code:
Settings
- Added "Disable Victory Competition" setting, when set to 1 it disables the AI's Victory Dispute/Victory Block/Is Close to X Victory changes towards other players
- Added "Passive AI (Human Only)" setting, when set to 1 the AI will not initiate any wars involving human players, but humans can still DoW the AI
- Added "Passive AI (Global)" setting, when set to 1 the AI will not initiate any wars with other players, including City-States, but humans can still DoW the AI
- Passive AI settings will be overridden if humans ask AI teammates to start a coop war
- Passive AI settings prevent AIs from asking humans for coop wars or asking/offering third party war to them in trade (humans can still ask this of the AI)
- Passive AI settings prevent AIs from pursuing Domination Victories
- All of these are experimental, disabled by default and can be modified via one of the text files

Fixes
- Fixed some bugs in the approach calculation
- Fixed AI getting mad about Influence competition with their permanent CS allies or those with an Open Door resolution
- Fixed AI offering or accepting DoFs with players they're willing to denounce
- (Hopefully) fixed AI never keeping its promises not to dig up artifacts
- Removed opinion penalty for refusing to move your troops when asked
- Removed backstabbing penalties between human players in multiplayer
- Fixed World Map trade item being greyed out without explanation (hopefully)
- Fixed bug where AI teammates would never be willing to start a coop war immediately; now they can if they're bold enough and the target is vulnerable, just like regular AIs
- Fixed AI teammates of humans accepting third party war bribes and starting coop wars with others
- AI should be MUCH less likely to backstab its own friends and DPs now, or to start wars that cause its teammates to backstab their friends/DPs.
They will no longer do so when insulted or as the result of a coop or third party war. They will also not target people for demands if declaring war on them would mean backstabbing someone else.

Improvements
- Added a temporary opinion penalty for stealing a civ's artifacts, regardless of if a promise is made (can no longer steal one artifact per civ with no penalty); the penalty's
magnitude and duration worsens if more artifacts are stolen, and lowers a bit if you make a promise to stop and keep it
- Note that the penalty will decay, but cannot fully disappear until the AI has confronted you about the stolen artifacts, unless you're playing in multiplayer or it's a permanent war
- AI will refuse to give Open Borders to players who plunder their artifacts, if there are still artifacts for that player to plunder
- Maximized AI war desire and tactical aggression if the "Always War" or "Permanent War or Peace" advanced settings are enabled (used in RAS and scenarios)
- Increased AI war desire and tactical aggression towards its most threatening enemies and competitors; for instance, the owner of their original capital
- AI is slightly more aggressive when backed up by a third party in war (coop war/trade)
- AIs who are insulted are more reluctant to declare war on players they're AFRAID of, and more reluctant to DoW if it would also mean DoW'ing powerful neighbors
- Added "approach guess" mechanic: AIs will guess other human/AI approaches towards them based on certain actions. Demands, insults and denouncing them will set their approach guess to HOSTILE if it isn't already
WAR; if a player's military deployment is extremely threatening or intrigue sharing reveals a civ's war plans, it will be set to WAR. The guess system understands AI players' approach system, so for instance, they will reset guesses
for the DECEPTIVE or FRIENDLY approaches if the visible approach of an AI player towards them isn't FRIENDLY. Approach guesses are not permanent and updated every 30 turns or when circumstances change
- AI will refuse coop wars, giving/taking Open Borders and third party war bribery from players who it guesses to have the HOSTILE or WAR approaches towards them, to avoid falling into traps
- AI will also refuse these requests from players who have backstabbed them or broken a promise not to attack them, for the same reason
- If "Disable Victory Competition" is enabled or you've resurrected them, AIs will no longer refuse to take your Open Borders for Tourism reasons
- Added functionality for the AI to calculate how much GPT will be lost if war is declared (still WIP, not used yet)
- If AI has no cities but is still alive (Complete Kills setting), and it somehow captures a city, it will not liberate that city, no matter how many diplo bonuses it would get from doing so :)
- Tweaked reckless expander penalty: won't apply unless you have more cities than the AI. Also, if a City-State has 2+ cities they will count towards the global average

ilteroi's improvements (not my doing, but worth mentioning)
- Improved AI strength assessments of other players
- Fixed AI not targeting Barbarian cities

Other
- AI should no longer get a Production discount on projects like the Apollo Program
- Spies should no longer consider Public Works or any custom repeatable project intrigue-worthy (repeatable projects are not noteworthy constructions)

Edit: I've been editing this list over the past few hours as I make more changes, and it should be complete for now. My most significant edit was the fix preventing the AI from stupidly backstabbing others; they should be much smarter about this going forward.

Additional diplo improvements made since last post:
Code:
- Fixed bug with military aggression posture calculation (AI wasn't correctly recognizing when your troops had left the border if you had a DoF or they gave you OB; mostly affected capitulated vassals)
- AI now less likely to stupidly DoW powerful neighbors under certain circumstances because they didn't know about a Defensive Pact (now they do know, and will factor in their military strength)
- Added an approach penalty for killing or attacking protected City-States (penalty for attacking does not apply if you make a promise to stop and keep it)
- Increased diplo penalties for personally betraying the AI - should be less likely to befriend people who broke move troops/stop attacking our CS promises with them, or who backstabbed them when they had a DoF
- Removed a way too harsh global diplo penalty for ending a DoF via the Discuss menu with any AI player (was +25 to enemy weight, -25 to DoF/DP weight, and affecting Approach as well)
- Penalty still remains for the AI you broke the DoF with, but is removed if you reach an opinion of Friend+

Why is Terracotta Army being completely redone?

Pentagon stole its thunder.

Nobody ever voiced concern about Terracotta and in my opinion it was fine, I'd say leave it alone and find something more fitting for the Pentagon; the duplication effect that late is too player friendly, because keeping a gazillion of outdated garrisoned units and upgrade them all after building the Pentagon is something I don't foresee the AI doing.

If people were afraid of having two wonders sharing the same effect, I'm slighty pissed at having a wonder stealing some uniqueness from the Authority opener as well.

Many wonders already share effects with policies... Now you can get even more culture from kills.

I mostly like Terracotta, because the old effect was too gamey and exploitable. As such, I'd like to see a change to the Pentagon as well.

But my beautiful Pyramid-powered workers :( The addtional worker speed to Terracotta seems a very awkward fit for a wonder that is otherwise focused on the military.

The Heroic Epic and skirmisher line changes are quite welcome.

But my beautiful Pyramid-powered workers :( The addtional worker speed to Terracotta seems a very awkward fit for a wonder that is otherwise focused on the military.
Makes sense to me (though I would have just kept the speed at 25%). Autocracy has a +50% worker speed adjustment after all. Workers have a work rate of 90, so the difference between 108 and 112.5 isn't going to amount in more turns for any improvements I can think of. It's just going to be weird to have a cumulative bonus of +45% work rate if you also took progress, or +70% instead of +75% with Autocracy.
The Terracotta army was a mausoleum that must have taken an insane amount of labour hours to build. The sheer amount of labour it must have taken to collect the amount of mercury found at the site alone...

Also, it's nice to have a use for the global culture on kills that the Acropolis used to have, but I wonder if it shouldn't be higher? Prora gets 25:c5culture:, scaling with era, on pillaging, and the Acropolis used to give the same 10:c5culture: on kills, which was totally broken OP, but it was in every city.
Seems like all the bones are there, Terracotta just needs its numbers raised a bit higher on each of these respective bonuses.

I am very happy to see the pentagon and Terracotta unstacked. However, I will maintain my criticism of the free copy of every unit type on Pentagon. I would prefer a 3-5 units of a specific type be given, rather than 1 of everything you still have coming in Modern. The civ that builds this wonder is guaranteed to have 0 :c5gold:maintenance for garrisons, and very likely has 2:c5culture:1:c5happy: in every city with a garrison from Authority. This bonus coming in modern probably means I'm going to get an extra trebuchet, Landsknecht, and probably another 5 units that will all take at least 300:c5gold: upgrade gold and 4 turns of no actions after upgrading in order to actually use. I just can't get over how silly it will be to get a free tercios from the Pentagon, because I never bothered to waste gold upgrading a 2:c5culture:1:c5happy: battery in some core city.

Last edited:
Terracotta Army: revamped; now grants +5 supply; 20% tile improvement speed; +10 culture when you destroy an enemy unit in battle, scaling w/ era. Pyramid: removed tile improvement; added +250GAP instant bonus
This is just awkward.
+250GAP Fits more in Terracotta Army and worker speed just doesn't make sense IMO
Just swap those bonuses and its fine

Looks like Recursive's patch, good job!! :)

The pyramid I'm ambivalent on. I can understand it might have need a nerf, and I'll still rush it for the things I was rushing it for. I think the main thing this does is it prevents a tradition player from stealing the thunder of progress' faster workers. Skirmishers I will now comment on in the skirmisher thread, as I don't want to dominate another general thread with that info.

25% and 25:c5culture: both seem like the right amount to me.

5% is a difference of 4.5 work rate; it is a purely aesthetic change.
25:c5culture: is the same reward that acropolises give for their bonus. Maybe the similarity is bad, but they’re the same because it’s simply the right number.
Not sure why the flat supply was increased to 5. Himeji also gives 5:c5war:, and it seems a bit high, especially with the de-emphasis on it being a military wonder. I would prefer if it were brought back down to +3:c5war:

What's included in these?
Probably everything included in @Recursive's posts in the last thread:

Thanks, Moi, saves me from repeating myself. :lol:

Everything in those linked posts is included, along with two additional changes:
Code:
- Removed Victory Dispute/Block penalties for vassal players (but not end of game aggression boost).
If an AI is a vassal, they're very likely not to be able to compete with you on anything, so hating you is pointless; they'd benefit more from being friendly.

- Resurrecting a player or having a vassal capitulate to you should now properly reset all non-ongoing negative diplo modifiers as intended
(including disappointing diplomatic actions, killing/capturing civilians, and World Congress proposal modifiers).
Note that the reset doesn't stop you from accumulating penalties later, especially not for mistreating them.

Also, my thanks to G for putting everything together in the new beta. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom