1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - October 19th (10-19b)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Oct 19, 2016.

1. tompliss

tompliss Chieftain

I think I read that that's all.
    and after all, you don't need more : yes you may get more great writers/artists than you have slots, but you can "bulb" them and get a real benefit.
    Having a musician slot means you don't have to bulb the one great cultural person that is not useful to bulb in the early game.

I think that it should be good as it is (but I haven't played them much since that change).

2. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Warlord

I like every change, nice patch.

Though when will the cool city view extended mod be implemented? I'd love it to happen because it's a bit of a pain to have to remove 2 files from the C 6A folder every release.

3. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

I'll keep looking at it... should have raised the point in the balance thread while it was still relevant. Who knew :confused:

Like I said, it's a "long game" problem. Dojo slot is far away from the ancient and classical periods, which is where you're accumulating musicians. As for writers and artists, I would question whether the bulb effects are really that worthwhile vs continuous culture and tourism generation. Japan, after all, lost it's tile based culture bonus in favor of the GWAM approach.

4. Magean

Magean Chieftain

Thanks for all the work you put in this project. Your really transformed Civ V into a vastly more enjoyable experience, miles ahead the upcoming sequel.

Technical question :
    So AI siege units now ignore the need to setup, right ? There was no way for the AI to adapt properly to it ?

5. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

You can't do multiple slots of different types, so no. Also, it'd be an absurdly strong building otherwise.

Spend the units in other ways.

6. Gazebo

There is no longer even an option 'to' set up before an attack. Siege now act like ranged, but halved movement in enemy lands.

7. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

That was my question -- whether it applied both ways. I think it will help the AI offensively, although I'm curious to see how they retreat.

Amazing achievement and an incredible contribution. Thanks so much (not that either of us is going anywhere).

8. balparmak

balparmak Chieftain

Hey man, thanks for all your work. One thing I'm curious about though, change regarding siege units is listed under Community Patch, I'm guessing that was a mistake?

9. Gazebo

No - it was an AI change that we made to really improve their siege performance. Affects all versions. It is one of those changes that was so big, and so useful for the AI, that we couldn't ignore it.

10. hokath

hokath Chieftain

Everyone who had contributed should be so proud of Vox Populi, it's glorious!
    I feel no need to buy VI at all yet. I probably won't for a long time.

Zares likes this.
  11. Gazebo

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  12. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

Any idea when you'll make a modpack with this? A friend and I want to start a new game, and are considering waiting.

13. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

With catapults, trebs, and even cannons being miles weaker than the equivalent ranged unit, this balance change makes a lot of sense. The nqmod went another route, giving indirect fire to all of them... somehow, I prefer VP's answer.

14. Navanod

Navanod Chieftain

Thanks so much to Gazebo and team for making Civ V so much more addictive than it needs to be!
    It was a really good thing I stumbled upon VP so close to it going gold, hehe.
    • Fixed a few smaller bugs here and there (github requests/issues)
    Did that include the God of Expanse 20% bonus thingie?

15. oedali

oedali Chieftain

Wow this is great!

Although I pre-loaded Civ 6 and expect to be playing it in 14 hours, given the recent results from "AI Battle Royale", my expectations are super low re: the AI. I am ready for the worst case scenario in which I play the game at Emperor then Immortal then Deity difficulty and find out it's easy to conquer the world w/ a handful of legions.. then back to Civ 5 VP :).

I hope the "next big thing" the team is focusing on is bringing Civ 6 AI up to par? That pretty much is an emergency.

16. playshogi

playshogi Chieftain

Bigger and better things,,, is that code for we're hired by Firaxis to fix the Civ 6 AI?

Navanod likes this.
  17. Gazebo

Yep, fixed!

I've also pre-loaded. That stream was a mess. Total disaster. No wonder they haven't done any 'behind the scenes' with the AI team. How you get to this point in a game's development cycle with balance like that (industrial at 1000AD) is beyond me. But hey, I preordered full well knowing that the game would need a few patches (as, at the end of the day, Firaxis is a team of fine people that need to eat).

No hiring yet - not sure they could afford me (especially if I had to move to Baltimore, bleck!).

Arkenean and Navanod like this.
  18. Gazebo

Also, you guys like the new spy interface? I know that @Strigvir always had a particular axe to grind against it - any better? :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Arkenean likes this.
  19. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

@Gazebo - You keep saying we won't move on to Civ 6, but I'm sure we're all in if we actually get the DLL. The problem is, there's a real concern we won't.

20. Gazebo

It all just depends. I know that, whether or not we get the DLL, Firaxis deserves a chance to fix their game first (translation: I'm not doing - for free- what their AI team is being paid to do). I can't imagine any kind of Civ 6 AI mod would even be feasible until a year from now, given their slower patch style. If I recall correctly, we didn't even get the Civ 5 DLL until around G&K's launch.

Besides...unstacked cities and civics tree aside, I don't actually see what Civ 6 really does all that differently (or better than) Civ 5, especially VP. No World Congress, a gutted tech tree with weird beeline possibilities, incompetent AI, a rather droll religious victory, a heaver emphasis on environmental determinism (a historical model I STRONGLY disagree with). The list goes on.

Zares and Groff like this.