New Beta Version - October 19th (10-19b)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all just depends. I know that, whether or not we get the DLL, Firaxis deserves a chance to fix their game first (translation: I'm not doing - for free- what their AI team is being paid to do). I can't imagine any kind of Civ 6 AI mod would even be feasible until a year from now, given their slower patch style. If I recall correctly, we didn't even get the Civ 5 DLL until around G&K's launch.

Besides...unstacked cities and civics tree aside, I don't actually see what Civ 6 really does all that differently (or better than) Civ 5, especially VP. No World Congress, a gutted tech tree with weird beeline possibilities, incompetent AI, a rather droll religious victory, a heaver emphasis on environmental determinism (a historical model I STRONGLY disagree with). The list goes on.

You're not going to get any disagreement from me. It feels like a Civ 5 mod. I'd be all for us taking the best parts of it, and adding them to a version of VP with VP now Gold.

What do you mean ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_determinism

Essentially, Civ6 places such a heavy emphasis on 'where you put everything' that your entire game revolves around your starting location. All civ games do this, but Civ6 has really ramped it up by virtue of districts and wonders requiring very specific terrain circumstances to have maximum potential.

Wait, WHAT?

(Thanks for making this great mod!)

Yeah, no WC in Civ6. Kinda takes the bite out of global diplo when you realize all communication in the game is 1v1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_determinism

Essentially, Civ6 places such a heavy emphasis on 'where you put everything' that your entire game revolves around your starting location. All civ games do this, but Civ6 has really ramped it up by virtue of districts and wonders requiring very specific terrain circumstances to have maximum potential.

Yeah, no WC in Civ6. Kinda takes the bite out of global diplo when you realize all communication in the game is 1v1.

I saw that we would need a coastal city to research coastal techs and stuff quicker.
Well, it better have a quick restart button somewhere then. The rotate starting location option might be good too.

I too would like to add my voice to the chorus of admiration and gratitude to all of you who have done such an amazing job at making this an incredible game! I really hope you all get many great job offers from companies recognising your abilities, and wish you all the best!

(and selfishly I hope the VP will still continue to get patches and slight fixes for a long time to come:))

As I have watched and played the different versions silently so far, now as you are nearly finished I`d also like to congratulate you on this really great and impressive mod! I haven't played that much of Civ5 in years.

Just a question on the new version: When attacking cities somehow there is no "forecast" screen of the battle outcome anymore, whereas it still exists in normal unit vs. unit battles. Is this intended? Playing VP with EUI.

Feature wise the mod is complete, I agree. I still play it without events, somehow I dislike it in CIV, and it's a very enjoyable experience. But I wonder if all those changes during development were the thing that kept the game fresh. I played many times wanting to try this or that new feature. We can still play trying to compare this or that civ strenght, so we are sure they are all balanced, but it isn't so compelling. Cleaning bugs and balancing issues can take several months, so don't say goodbay so early; just take a break to play Civ6, or whatever (I'm rediscovering OpenTTD with mods) if you like.

The only feature I miss is the ability to form coalitions (that's a great way to stop runaway civs). There is the WC, and the occasional alliance, but when military action is needed, every civ is alone with its own fears.

Overall, a great job. Involving testers (the community) into development was quite a feat.

Besides...unstacked cities and civics tree aside, I don't actually see what Civ 6 really does all that differently (or better than) Civ 5, especially VP. No World Congress, a gutted tech tree with weird beeline possibilities, incompetent AI, a rather droll religious victory, a heaver emphasis on environmental determinism (a historical model I STRONGLY disagree with). The list goes on.
They have to keep stuff to add to DLC and future addons. Everything is planned, no worries :)

They have to keep stuff to add to DLC and future addons. Everything is planned, no worries :)

Which is why I don't plan on buying it on release. I just can't agree with a business model that starts every sequel off several steps behind the previous game - where is the incentive to move on to what is essentially a downgrade, especially when Civ 5 has amazing mods like VP? I honestly can't understand this mentality, as far as I'm aware the video game industry is the only market where that kind of thing is acceptable. Look at all the people who dropped the new iPhone because it didn't come with a headphone jack; the transition between BNW + VP and vanilla Civ 6 is like if the new iPhone removed apps and texting and was actually a land line.

Which is why I don't plan on buying it on release. I just can't agree with a business model that starts every sequel off several steps behind the previous game - where is the incentive to move on to what is essentially a downgrade, especially when Civ 5 has amazing mods like VP? I honestly can't understand this mentality, as far as I'm aware the video game industry is the only market where that kind of thing is acceptable. Look at all the people who dropped the new iPhone because it didn't come with a headphone jack; the transition between BNW + VP and vanilla Civ 6 is like if the new iPhone removed apps and texting and was actually a land line.

Eh, how many superhero reboots/origin story movies are we gonna get until we stop watching them? :)

I don't understand the need to get the latest thing either. I've played every Civilization game 1-4 but I waited four years to purchase Civ 5. I bought it with G&K, BNW plus all DLC for like $15 in late 2014. My only concern was that the modding community would have already moved onto other games by the time I joined the community. Boy was I wrong - the greatest mod of them all was still in its infancy back then :) So I'll check out Civ 6 sometime around 2020 at which time the game should be awesome.

Eh, how many superhero reboots/origin story movies are we gonna get until we stop watching them? :)

I have absolutely no objection to sequels (or reboots), but if every new superhero reboot movie was 10 minutes shorter than the last and had important bits cut out, I'd certainly stop seeing them in theaters and just wait for the extended edition DVD.

It all just depends. I know that, whether or not we get the DLL, Firaxis deserves a chance to fix their game first (translation: I'm not doing - for free- what their AI team is being paid to do). I can't imagine any kind of Civ 6 AI mod would even be feasible until a year from now, given their slower patch style. If I recall correctly, we didn't even get the Civ 5 DLL until around G&K's launch.

Interesting, I am curious why you strongly disagree with environmental determinism? I don't necessarily think its the single most important thing that altered the course of civilizations historically, but I do think it makes a lot of sense for a map based game like Civilization. One of my favorite design philosophies of the new game (of which I am obviously a bigger fan of then you and others here haha).

Why doesn't the AI want my GPT? Shiny things scare them?

Bismarck - William
Whales < - > Spices
Deal Value: -42

Bismarck - William
Whales < - > Spices, 1 GPT
Deal Value: IMPOSSIBRU!!!

"Yeah, don't want yer stinkin' money! We're better without!" :smug:

Arguably, it's smart to deny me what I want, as I am William after all, but really, any addition of GPT just kills any possibility of trade... even throwing in all 11 GPT.

WHY?

Edit: Figured it out! Buggy bug, it seems? AI will only let you give them what they are willing to give you. Now that Bismarck is willing to part with some GPT, I am allowed to give him the same amount he's willing to at max give me. The moment I go over what he's willing to give me in an offer, it's impossible.

Last edited:
I dont know about that Liberty 50%+ production. I always said that 25% are already op, now you buff it to 50%. Man this policy is the strongest in the game.
Edit: You mean worker bonus? Or bonus to buildings? If it is the former then all is good :)

Last edited:
Why doesn't the AI want my GPT? Shiny things scare them?

Bismarck - William
Whales < - > Spices
Deal Value: -42

Bismarck - William
Whales < - > Spices, 1 GPT
Deal Value: IMPOSSIBRU!!!

"Yeah, don't want yer stinkin' money! We're better without!" :smug:

Arguably, it's smart to deny me what I want, as I am William after all, but really, any addition of GPT just kills any possibility of trade... even throwing in all 11 GPT.

WHY?

Edit: Figured it out! Buggy bug, it seems? AI will only let you give them what they are willing to give you. Now that Bismarck is willing to part with some GPT, I am allowed to give him the same amount he's willing to at max give me. The moment I go over what he's willing to give me in an offer, it's impossible.
Yeah the AI is not willing to fall below X gpt meaning if they have X+4 GPT they are not willing to do any trade involving 5 or more GPT no matter which side offers the gpt.

Ai and their diplo modifiers are something laughable again. Dont you want just replace/add teritorial disputes with simple ,, I fcking hate you''. Would be at least straight and not like civ on another continent(Russia) 30 tiles far is thinking about mine lands should be theirs location...... also this version AI is rly restless. Pick whatever reason to war even with pure green relations before DoW. Arabia DoWed me for eligible teritorial disputes bcoz i took spot with their monopol luxury. I took one their marginal city, founded few turns before conquest and in Casimir peacelovers opinion, our only neighbour, im biggest threat in world. those modifiers are either irelevant or they just use them for exagerrative reasons. Rly cant wait for adding ,, They know i am competing with them'' and similar modifier to my collection till the end.

And beautifull logic btw. Arabia DoWed me, Poland DoWed me, both failed. I didnt capture anything except 2 pop arabia city. Turn 175,1 turn after ceasefire with casimir. Poland and Arabia are makind def pact :D. Turn 177, 3 turns after ceasefire with casimir and Rashid is becoming voluntarily vassal of poland. i assume this is pure Vp logic, bcoz in vanilla, they just would deal coop war against me through ,,Should we DoW civ X''. Need to mention, that Najran, city i captured from Arabia, has been captured by Cassimir by one horsemen when i didnt pay attention and left it alone with 5 defense, then i recaptured it again. So i have now funny warmonger penalty for double capture one small 2 pop village, most important place in the world for those two. Now i expect reaction of type ,, diferent Ais have diferent priorities'' but i didnt get such wm penalties even for take second biggest Pocattelo's city in previous game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom