1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - October 23rd (10-23)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

That's been my experience as well, though in one game I finally saw the AI finish it by like Turn 28 (Immortal). First time in all the plays I've done since the change. I still think the wonder is reasonably balanced, but the AI does not properly rush it.

2. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Just finished up an embarrassing game as Arabia. Got my butt kicked, I just stood there while the bullies took my lunch money for like 300 turns.

My only note is that I continue to struggle with local happiness playing Tradition. My capital is great, which carries me into full Global Happiness. And yet I cannot get my satellite cities happy with any kind of growth, I am basically leaving them on production focus nearly the entire game. Would love to know if other people are experiencing the same. I was finally able to get them in a good place by much later in the game, but it took a very long time.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  4. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Prince

I'd argue that when it comes to Chateaus, Kasbahs, and other high-yield but limited-placement UIs then you really should be building as many as possible. I can imagine cases where you might not want to do so for some UIs - in particular the Terrace Farm. I don't think a player should ever be 'punished' for wanting to build their UI though.

I think Agribusinesses helping more types of improvements is a wonderful idea. Makes them more versatile. I like the idea of improving resources that primarily give food (which may be less useful late-game) - cows, deer, bison, wheat, and bananas. That said, yes, let's playtest so we can get some more concrete examples to work with.

The AI in my game always seems to build it relatively early. Around turn 50 for me, but that's playing on Epic speed. I think sometimes the AI will choose to go for Stonehenge instead which is also pretty powerful, that's all I can think of. I play with 12 civs in my games (Huge map), so even if a couple of the AIs don't go for Pyramids it's very likely some of the others will.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  5. ridjack

ridjack King

I've just noticed that my naval units getting Boarded are still missing moves on the turn the status effect goes away:

EDIT: @Stalker0 How do you make yourself play a game like that for 300 turns? Do you honestly believe you can recover at 200 turns while you're near last place across the board, or do you actually enjoy a game even when you're losing that badly?

I'm genuinely asking, since I get frustrated and re-roll if things are looking bad before turn 100.

6. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

After playing a few consecutive Trad/Art games, I'm not sure where your happy problems have been stemming over the past couple versions. Mine has been great while playing tall, only seeing dips after taking a city or two after an extended war.

7. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

Has something changed about Antiquity sites in this version? When I choose to get an artifact, the site remains in place with the possibility to build a landmark afterwards. First time I experience that.

8. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

I've heard some discussion about making "digging the artifact" not destroying the tile improvement (but Antiquity sites are still supposed to disappear), so that looks like a bug coming from this small change. You should report it on Github.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  9. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Gonna have to dig into this, but does this open up the possibility of stacking or augmenting an improvement by placing a second improvement on top of it?

like, if I built a farm, could you create an improvement which requires a farm below it and adds :c5culture: to the tile without removing the original farm?

also, is keeping the existing improvement until the antiquity site is complete just how the RequiresImprovement column works now, or is it a new table column?

10. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Yeah I saw this too, forgot to get a screenshot. I have noted on there some weird city combat math going on.

11. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Not in general, but right now I'm both testing the various new changes and also trying to practice for Immortal Difficulty (which I have just recently started playing). So I'm pushing myself in order to "get gud". Also, this game I was playing full CV Tradition Arabia....so being hugely behind in score is normally fine. However, this game I made a big defensive blunder (I let China take a city near me that was in an unacceptable place defense wise). I took it early and razed it, and China resettled it a tile away (really should have just puppetted it initially).

Because of that it opened me up on my eastern front, and I was too vulnerable, so it allowed the AI to war with me all game long and keep me weak.

So one thing I will say, the new spies are really good in CS. I actually found Spy in CS to be a competitive alternative to sending them as diplomats or spies right off the bat.

glider1 and JamesNinelives like this.
  12. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

Yesterday I thought: "Spys should be able to level up when deployed in City States".

Today I checked the forum, and G has deivered already. GJ man, you rule!:thumbsup:

Erikose, vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.
  13. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

With this new way of levelling spies, I wonder if the lethality if defensive spies shouldn’t be upped by5-10%? It doesn’t sting quite so much to lose a promoted spy, and makes placing them inside another major civ feel more like entering the big leagues, where you’re taking more risks

also, this change is a huge england buff

Bromar1 and JamesNinelives like this.
  14. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Ahem, sometimes my occasional rants do bring about progressive change... :crazyeye:

15. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

If refinery if giving 1 iron and coal, maybe it should give 1 oil too? Oil is revealed at the same tech level, so maybe not, just seems funny that oil is lumped in with uranium and horses as one of the strategics with no free copy building

16. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors Prince

Well, there's the Ducal Stable for Horses :)

17. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Overall I find happiness very easy as tradition, but the local system is bad for tradition, and I do end up in situations when I have like 80% total happiness for the empire, but several cities still have negative.

18. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

The tradition happiness Bonus is inferior to the progress one, not in the early game, but mid to late, cause most national wonders are front loaded in technology and progress happiness is split much better over your cities. I also digged a bit in the tradition code and saw, that less buildings are getting the happiness buff than I initially thought.
    I think an easy way to solve this, is changing the happiness bonus from local to global. The capital will not suffer, cause it can deal with some percent less growth, but it will be a great benefit for the secondary cities.

19. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Maybe it should expressed more clearly:

You are suggesting that Tradition bonuses go to the global happiness instead of just to the city that builds the national wonders
    Right now, if you wanted to improve happiness in a secondary city, you would have to build a national wonder in this city. But since most national wonders are better the better is the city, we usually build them in the capital.
    Tradition also gives lots of yields to the capital via unique buildings, making it more resilient to unhappiness anyways.

With current mechanics, if you want other cities to be useful, you have to let it have national wonders, which may not be quite so a bad idea, since capital is more fit for real wonders.

20. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I don't really see the need for local happiness as a resource to exist. We already have local unhappiness drops. Couldn't :c5happy: just always be global?

Mauro Mezzina likes this.