New Beta Version - September 15th (9-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much like the new change making policies important. It also makes sources of culture (not just tourism) an important component of a cultural victory.

Great firewall is an interesting example, because its main effect is to block someone else’s cultural victory. The people who need that wonder most are the people with high science, but very low culture. Therefore, blocking it off with a very high minimum policie requirement makes it pointless. If you have enough policies to unlock it, then obviously you didn’t need it in the first place.

IMO, great firewall is a wonder which should have an abnormally LOW policy requirement

It is lower than its Information brethren.

G

It is lower than its Information brethren.

G
There is only one wonder with higher restrictions, the Hubble Telescope.
As mentioned, the Firewall only gives extra science and protect against culture victories of others. I dont see any reason why a nation heading for culture victory should be prefered to build this. With the culture necessary for this wonder, the player should be safe against tourismn wins by other players and the extra science doesnt unlock anything from worth to a culture player.
The hubble telescope need more policies than you need to win by culture. And it only gives science and allow better space part construction. If a cultural powerhous is able to build this, hes already able to end the game. And its benefits doesnt help in any aspect. Such a high policy requirement is only a unnecessary artifical punishment of science nations.

Nations with high cultural output are already in advantage cause of more unlocked policies. Why an additional advantage? I thought cultural victories are achieved by great people, great works and trade routes? There are only a few wonders which directly help with a tourismn victory.

Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '28' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_CERN' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '24' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_GREAT_FIREWALL' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '28' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_HUBBLE' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '26' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_SYDNEY_OPERA_HOUSE' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '25' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_CN_TOWER' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );

Is this not what you see in your game?

G

To me, it makes a lot of sense you need a minimal amount of culture to block an opposing cultural victory. Culture needs science to shut down a science victory, because new techs allow for new opportunites to boost culture and gain tourism. You can't neglect science entirely when pursuing a cultural victory. If science didn't need culture to shut down a culture victory, it would be an outright better and safer victory condition than culture. You do need to make a minimal culture investment.

You do need to make a minimal culture investment.

I don't think anyone is arguing the need of a minimum investment, which is what the policy locks are for. Its the degree that's being debated, the notion that it doesn't feel like a minimum investment is needed, more like a sizable one.

That's why I liked that the policy needs were increased, but I too feel the increase was high in certain cases. Even 10 turns of being locked out of a wonder due to policy lock can make all the difference, but when you are effectively 15+ you might as well forget that wonder exists unless you are focusing on culture.

Can we get a slight change to Alhambra? My authority games always have the same problem.

If playing well, you're usually taking (or trying) some cities throughout the first half of the game with the help of Drill, so you've dished out some Drill promotions for your army. Warmongers might also have grabbed Statue of Zeus, so you'd be well advised to synergize with Drill. However, it becomes a wasted promotion if you continue succeeding enough to snag Alhambra because most of your army probably already has it. Drill will also be useless for future land units against castles at this stage of the game because trebuchets are usually on the field, and cannons will be soon enough (if they aren't already).

The other option is to hold off on choosing Drill for the first half of the game in anticipation of possibly getting Alhambra, which is a terrible idea because you may not even get it built before another player. You will also miss out on having units with Drill throughout the initial phases of the game when you can actually utilize melee units with the promotion. Even if you take this path and get Alhambra, you still run into the same problem as before with your new shiny Drill promotion being essentially useless from that point forward, as city attacks are best left to siege units.

I propose switching Drill for City Assault because it will actually have some lasting value for warmongers. Rarely will you have units with City Assault in the time frame, so it will make Alhambra feel more worthy of being a policy finishing wonder (don't get me started on Taj).

It also says "all non-air units" in the description, implying you get Drill for ships as well, which of course is not true because there is no Drill promotion for ships. Maybe we can have the recently tweaked Coastal Raider promotion be granted as well for melee ships built in the city...

Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '28' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_CERN' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '24' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_GREAT_FIREWALL' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '28' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_HUBBLE' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '26' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_SYDNEY_OPERA_HOUSE' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );
UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '25' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_CN_TOWER' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );

Is this not what you see in your game?

G

UPDATE Buildings SET NumPoliciesNeeded = '26' WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_GREAT_FIREWALL' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_BUILDINGS' AND Value= 1 );

Mostly the same just The Great Firewall not being the same~
But I think we can just update it ourselves~~

does anyone else have a problem where you try to right click into enemy borders and the declare war popup does not show up?

Last edited:
Can we get a slight change to Alhambra? My authority games always have the same problem.

If playing well, you're usually taking (or trying) some cities throughout the first half of the game with the help of Drill, so you've dished out some Drill promotions for your army. Warmongers might also have grabbed Statue of Zeus, so you'd be well advised to synergize with Drill. However, it becomes a wasted promotion if you continue succeeding enough to snag Alhambra because most of your army probably already has it. Drill will also be useless for future land units against castles at this stage of the game because trebuchets are usually on the field, and cannons will be soon enough (if they aren't already).

The other option is to hold off on choosing Drill for the first half of the game in anticipation of possibly getting Alhambra, which is a terrible idea because you may not even get it built before another player. You will also miss out on having units with Drill throughout the initial phases of the game when you can actually utilize melee units with the promotion. Even if you take this path and get Alhambra, you still run into the same problem as before with your new shiny Drill promotion being essentially useless from that point forward, as city attacks are best left to siege units.

I propose switching Drill for City Assault because it will actually have some lasting value for warmongers. Rarely will you have units with City Assault in the time frame, so it will make Alhambra feel more worthy of being a policy finishing wonder (don't get me started on Taj).

On the other hand, there are me, a player whom always prefers Shock because I give high value on March and clearing up opponent's units with melee unit. Taking cities will always be the primary job of siege unit while ranged units helps in both assignments. That's just my preference in warfare, complete with its pros and cons.

Unlocking Alhambra helps me buff up my armies by giving them first-tier promotions that speeds up Drill-line promotions. When another war comes and if most of my units are quite experienced by successfully unlocks March I am now ready to level up the Drill promotion line. On another note, I think Alhambra will be too strong if it gives your units City Assault, a third-level promotion for free. Statue of Zeus is also non guarantee and only one warmonger have it. It is a very useful wonder, I agree, which always makes me sad when someone snatched it from me in my games.

I've noticed something... I had Venice as a neighbor who purchased 2 CS that I was closes aligned with. After catching them stealing, I decided to declare war (they were already at war with Russia). I captured Venice and liberated 2 CS close to me and vassaled them when they were reduced to one city on the other side of the map. But I am not seeing any other AI recognizing that I liberated those 2 CS or another one that had been sacked by barbarians. I had thought that the other civs would appreciate CS liberation?

On the other hand, there are me, a player whom always prefers Shock because I give high value on March and clearing up opponent's units with melee unit. Taking cities will always be the primary job of siege unit while ranged units helps in both assignments.

Unlocking Alhambra helps me buff up my armies by giving them first-tier promotions that speeds up Drill-line promotions.
City Assault would be strong for sure, but you've only reinforced my point. I usually take the Shock line as well and leave my archers/catapults to do the work. As stated earlier though, I also choose Shock partially because I don't want to have a wasted promotion on my army mid-game if you snag Alhambra. It is a task to capture a city with primarily melee units in the early game, let alone the mid/late game. Drill is to help early game conquest, and is pretty inconsequential for the rest of the game, so why am I getting it when it's obsolete? Yea it might get your Shock III/March units started on the Drill-line, but what about the fact that those units have gone the first half of the game without being able to utilize Drill when it's actually applicable?

Tell me if this makes sense, because the two wonders that are synonymous with warmongers until late game are somewhat counter intuitive. You want SoZ for the barracks, city attack bonus, and also to pair with Drill for the synergy. You then want Alhambra for obvious reasons, but instead of feeling good about it, you're left frustrated at the fact that the majority of your army just got screwed over for the free promotion because they already have it...

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like I run into this dilemma every authority game I play.

Why despite i build many wanders i have 0 wanders in the score?

Last edited:
Please help me.why despite i build a lot if wanders i Still having 0 in wanders score!!!!!!!!??????

Barakat, take some screenshots of the game and post them here or on Imgur.com for us to check.
When i desactive cbo compatibility it s normal but if its actived despite i build many wanders it stay 0 in score of wanders

Last edited:
Seeing some funny behavior from Austria in my current game regarding congress votes (see attached). She didn't come to me with this trade on her own but was willing to accept it. Her original offer was for me to vote for something else which I thought was a way for her to divert my votes AWAY from her decolonization. I'll post it to github, too.

Attachments

• Austria is silly.png
    Austria is silly.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 247
Seeing some funny behavior from Austria in my current game regarding congress votes (see attached). She didn't come to me with this trade on her own but was willing to accept it. Her original offer was for me to vote for something else which I thought was a way for her to divert my votes AWAY from her decolonization. I'll post it to github, too.
Isn't it only like 2 votes that they're trading away? If she has plenty more, perhaps she feels that she can still out vote the decolonization...

But I concur, a civ shouldn't agree to vote against their best interests.

I still see sometimes warmonger nations planting cities extremly late. Rome settled its second city in turn 72, while others have alread 3 or 4 cities. Those extreme late settlement happens always with warmonger nations picking authority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom