New Beta Version - September 25th (9-25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Hey all,

New beta inbound.

General
  • Bugfixes and AI improvements
  • Worked a wee bit more on MP stability
Buildings

• Bomb Shelter now Strategic Defense Systems
    • - Moved to Nuclear Fission, provides 50% to detonate nuke on city without actually harming the city or surrounding tiles (note: if you're playing with animations on, the nuke will still explode, but it will not do anything to the city)
  • Moved Military Base to Rocketry
Wonders
  • Great Lighthouse now gives out Navigator I (was unique promotion)
Units
  • Chariot Archer now 8/8 (was 7/7)
  • Horseman now 14 (Was 15);
Policies
  • Progress
    • Reorganized 3 policies
      • Organization - now +1 movement for civilian units, +25% worker/trade unit production, +2 production in all cities
      • Liberty - now +2 gold in all cities, 1 worker, 25% tile improvement rate
      • Expertise- now 10% production towards buildings, 10 food/culture when constructed
    • Equality- now +1 happy per 12 citizens, needs modifiers now -10% (Was -5%)
  • Tradition
    • Plot modifier on Sovereignty now -20% (was -25%)
Promotions
  • Air Defense I-III now +10/15/20 (was 5 flat)
  • New Naval Melee promotion lines:
  • Dreadnought I +10% CS. +15 HP.
    • Cover I
    • Cover II
  • Dreadnought II +10% CS. +15HP.
    • Naval Siege - +50% city damage, can heal in non-friendly territory
    • Breacher - +10% Defense per adjacent enemy naval unit, 10 AOE damage on kill.
    • Press Gangs - Pillage without move - pillaging fully heals unit
  • Dreadnought III +10% CS. +20HP.
    • Blockade - steal 100% of damage as gold versus cities - 50% defense against ranged attacks
    • Vanguard - 100% CS versus cities, damage from cities -25%
    • Dauntless - Damage -5; CS +10 HP healed per turn when healing.
  • Boarding Party I +10% CS. +10% CS versus units below 50% hit points.
    • Navigator I - +1 move/sight
    • Navigator II - +1 move/sight
  • Boarding Party II +15% CS. +15% CS versus units below 50% hit points.
    • Encirclement - +10% Attack per adjacent friendly naval unit. +10 HP when you defeat an enemy.
    • Piracy - 20% to withdraw from melee - 100% CS gained as gold on kills.
    • Medic I
    • Medic II
  • Boarding Party III +20% CS. +20% CS versus units below 50% hit points
    • Pincer - Ignore ZOC, 50% flank bonus
    • Blitz
    • Supply

Link: https://mega.nz/#F!iMNVEISb!gW3aPq-MQ-kibL0lFxrw-w

Not savegame compatible. Online as of 11:45pm EST.

Cheers,
Gazebo

Honestly looks like a solid set of changes (I like the air defense changes as well!). Only one question and concern.

1) Strategic Defense: So does this only trigger if a nuke includes a city? Can I still nuke an army with impunity?
2) Dauntless: I still think this promotion is crazy strong, while I have other promotions I think may be strong (but close enough for testing), I feel like this one is going to break the bank. I guess we will sea (haha get it!)

Thank you for the consistent updates (and the bugfixes/performance improvements....how many versions ago was it where that wasn't part of the changelog?)

Just curious, G, do you play Civ yourself these days?

Honestly looks like a solid set of changes (I like the air defense changes as well!). Only one question and concern.

1) Strategic Defense: So does this only trigger if a nuke includes a city? Can I still nuke an army with impunity?
2) Dauntless: I still think this promotion is crazy strong, while I have other promotions I think may be strong (but close enough for testing), I feel like this one is going to break the bank. I guess we will sea (haha get it!)

1. If a tile is owned by a city, and that city has this building, the 50% chance is intact. If this makes the Verisimilitude Gang unhappy, remember this: http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/SDI_Defense

Thank you for the consistent updates (and the bugfixes/performance improvements....how many versions ago was it where that wasn't part of the changelog?)

Just curious, G, do you play Civ yourself these days?

Haha, nope. Haven't played civ in some time. Maybe I should do a LP so you guys and gals can laugh at my poor decisions? Maybe then you'll see where my balance choices stem from... :)

G

Haven't played civ in some time. Maybe I should do a LP so you guys and gals can laugh at my poor decisions? Maybe then you'll see where my balance choices stem from... :)

G
omg.
People... people would pay for that. Do a LP for marketing purposes!!!!

"Developer of the civ5 mod that makes civ6 looks stupid plays his own game...GONE WRONG"

The last part is optional, depending on whether you win or lose :lol::thumbsup:

edit: forgot to say thanks for the update. installing rn.

Progress updates have been terrific so far. I went Organization>Liberty>Expertise>Fraternity>Equality. On policy 3 I chose worker over C/F because my land needed major development and buildings were slow to build. The civilian movement on Organization helped push me towards Liberty. On policy 5 I seriously considered Equality over Fraternity because I was sitting at -10 happy. It only gave me +2 happy though so I went for Fraternity.

Chariot buff is good as well. They still struggle on offense, but they're a pretty decent defensive unit now.

Horseman is more or less the same tbh, and that's a good thing. I hardly feel the difference at all.

Also currently experiencing a bug with melee ships where they are unable to die.

Last edited:
Progress updates have been terrific so far. I went Organization>Liberty>Expertise>Fraternity>Equality. On policy 3 I chose worker over C/F because my land needed major development and buildings were slow to build. The civilian movement on Organization helped push me towards Liberty. On policy 5 I seriously considered Equality over Fraternity because I was sitting at -10 happy. It only gave me +2 happy though so I went for Fraternity.

Chariot buff is good as well. They still struggle on offense, but they're a pretty decent defensive unit now.

Horseman is more or less the same tbh, and that's a good thing. I hardly feel the difference at all.

Also currently experiencing a bug with melee ships where they are unable to die.

Bug?

1. If a tile is owned by a city, and that city has this building, the 50% chance is intact. If this makes the Verisimilitude Gang unhappy, remember this: http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/SDI_Defense

Haha, nope. Haven't played civ in some time. Maybe I should do a LP so you guys and gals can laugh at my poor decisions? Maybe then you'll see where my balance choices stem from... :)

G

Oooo maybe even an AMA??

So I guess all the back and forth about nukes got boiled down to a huge buff to Bomb Shelters? It comes at the right tech to be used as a legit defense against Nuke spam (assuming you're the tech leader or close to it), and since it can trigger if any part of the nuke AOE touches the city it does its job of nerfing the Nuke alpha-strike tactic. 50% chance at least means that the aggressor can't show up with 2-3 nukes anymore and know 100% that they can capture a city in one turn (or multiply that by X for however many cities they want to capture in a single turn), but it does mean that nuke spam is required if you're going to use nukes at all (because now you need more of them to guarantee taking a city). Careful placement of the nuke by a human player can still be used to erase an opponent's military units from the map in a single turn, but if they want to damage the city they have to roll the dice. That sounds like a good compromise to me.

However, what happened to increasing the range on Nuclear Missiles compared to the Nuclear Bomb? Also, the larger AOE radius on the Missile might discourage players from upgrading if they don't intend to target cities. It's harder to hit only units and not cities with a larger blast radius.

Fleet changes look new and exciting! The +HP bonuses make me a little nervous, however I've glad to be rid of Coastal Raiders. Dreadnought sounds a little tacky (I know it wasn't you G :)) but all with the promotion options for naval combat I can live with it. Progress changes are also welcomed. To me, Progress policy picking order always felt too consequential compared to other trees. It looks like it flows better and I am excited to try out a Progress start. Thank you for also keeping the Horseman and Chariot Archer changes bite-sized for the time being. They are a dominant unit to be sure, but it's good that nothing drastic is happening to them yet. In my opinion, a lot of the other suggestions would have disrupted most of the ancient era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom