New Buttons

Whisperr

Warlord
I have been making new building buttons for my personal game.

I find a lot of the building buttons are blurry blobs when playing the game on medium graphics, so TB showed me how to make new buttons (I think he was tired of listening to me complain about them). I won't be uploading to the SVN, though TB wants me to. They also come out a smaller file size of 4.12kb instead of 5.48kb.

If anyone has any building buttons they need to be made I would be happy to have a go at it.

very nice, but no file so that someone else could update the SVN for you. If you are looking for buttons to do any that remove duplicate use would be good. For example the different mine buttons.

Also I wanted to change the "Tales of.." buttons so that they were obviously different to the subdued critter button. Hydro gave me am alpha channel layer to go with the style I wanted but every time I try and make a button I get an "invalid volume" error message.

I'd be happy to update them to the SVN for her. I've been having her track which ones would need to be removed from the FPKs once made redundant. At some point just before the release I think Hydro and I were wanting to include the majority of what's in ours into the main FPKs anyhow and just use ours as a mid-cycle loading dock to make it much faster for the SVN to accept updates (in fact maybe we should just rename it to something we can all use for that.)

Anyhow, point being I can manage the SVN side. I've shown her how to take every step to get them into the game and they do look good there.

Many of the ones she did may not show the most drastic difference but the method we sorted out for her to use does increase the resolution a little so are a bit improved just from that standpoint. And much consideration has been given to make them a little more visible under medium graphics settings which has a lot to do with color and contrast variations and framing of the image. (She's quite a natural with this stuff after minimal instruction!)

Also I wanted to change the "Tales of.." buttons so that they were obviously different to the subdued critter button. Hydro gave me am alpha channel layer to go with the style I wanted but every time I try and make a button I get an "invalid volume" error message.

I made this button using the Unit Water bgr button. This is very rough, for example purposes only.

TB asks if you can post the alpha button you are using so we can see what is happening with it.

Attachments

• beluga test button.jpg
    beluga test button.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 252
These buttons look really really good! :goodjob:
I asked in my "Jobs for beginners" Thread for someone who could make a list of buttons that could be improved, but nobody did so far. I can list those buildings when I get some time to play again.
A lot of the buildings in my folder could use new buttons, I can remember the Megascraper buildings or probably the Breeding Program buildings from the top of my head. But I'm sure there are a lot more (making buttons is not my strong side)

Firstly yes great work Whisperr! :goodjob:

However, I don't think they're all better than what is there.

Ancient Embalmer: might be clearer with the white background but it's a worse image imho

Hopscotch & Athletic Field: the new images are far too modern - these are prehistoric or ancient buildings right? I think the old Hopscotch is fine, but if others disagree, you really need to lose the coloured chalk. New Athletics Field needs to at least lose the lane numbers.

Also the Accounting Firm button is better, but could you possibly get rid of the calculator, since it's a Renaissance building (abacus or slide rule or something)...

I'd be happy to update them to the SVN for her. I've been having her track which ones would need to be removed from the FPKs once made redundant. At some point just before the release I think Hydro and I were wanting to include the majority of what's in ours into the main FPKs anyhow and just use ours as a mid-cycle loading dock to make it much faster for the SVN to accept updates (in fact maybe we should just rename it to something we can all use for that.)

Anyhow, point being I can manage the SVN side. I've shown her how to take every step to get them into the game and they do look good there.

Many of the ones she did may not show the most drastic difference but the method we sorted out for her to use does increase the resolution a little so are a bit improved just from that standpoint. And much consideration has been given to make them a little more visible under medium graphics settings which has a lot to do with color and contrast variations and framing of the image. (She's quite a natural with this stuff after minimal instruction!)

If they have the same name and go in the same place as the old buttons there is no need to do anything with the FPKs except recreate them. It also has the advantage of requiring no XML changes.

You can already overwrite what players see by just putting them in the correct assets\art folder. We do it that way because many people can then contribute and only one needs to do anything before the release when rebuilding the FPKs that need it.

I made this button using the Unit Water bgr button. This is very rough, for example purposes only.

TB asks if you can post the alpha button you are using so we can see what is happening with it.

I have a bunch of files but I can't remember which was which now. I was trying to replace the button shape with a scroll shape with the picture on the scroll.

I have a bunch of files but I can't remember which was which now. I was trying to replace the button shape with a scroll shape with the picture on the scroll.

I was playing around with something similar...

Attachments

• mantatestbuttontest.jpg
    mantatestbuttontest.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 230
Not bad, but do we have a Pterodactyl in game:mischief:. It is probably a ray but the feather confuses my eye. Better than what I tried to do anyway.

I like the base idea with the scroll and then the animal on top of it. Looks really cool! If this was quick, then I really looking forward what you come up with in the future :goodjob: Take your time, those icons have been around for ages, no need to rush them all for the next release.

@Whisperr

Some I dislike most of those. The only one I like is the Terracotta Workshop.

the problem wioth many of yours is you are using too modern of a version. Such as too modern soap and hop scotch. Others have too much white background like the broccoli and soap. Infact many of those look way worse to me.

Please don't chnage them except for maybe the Terracotta Workshop.

I worked hard to find most of those and I am very happy with the ones I have. I did not make the Terracotta Workshop though.

Please don't change them.

I also have no idea why people are trying to chnage stuff that is already done. There is so much stuff that still needs to be done. This seems like wasted effort to be remaking stuff I and other already spend time making. Sorry to get defensive over this but I to put a lot of time into getting my icon/buttons to look really nice so we would not have to redo them like this. :mad::mad::mad::aargh:[pissed]

@Hydro:
The new Antique Shop looksalso better then the old one. I can understand you get defensive, and those shown above aren't too bad (the old ones). There are buttons far worse that need to be redone, maybe we should start with them. A lot of those icons you "copied" from Anno and such could use a rework. They just look weird when they are a single building.

+1 support for new Antique Shop button
I like new Archaeology Lab, Antelop Hunter, Terracota Workshop, Hopscotch, Barley Farm, Beaver Trap ones.
I don't like Amber Gatherer and Bearberry Farm one. Current ones are not better, though. I think there is no need to change the rest.

I prefer the new amber one because I see something else in the old one. It is like in the corn farm button which I see as a ferret.

As I said these were made for my personal game, I was not changing anything in the SVN. On medium graphics on my computer a lot of buttons are not clear.

If they have the same name and go in the same place as the old buttons there is no need to do anything with the FPKs except recreate them. It also has the advantage of requiring no XML changes.

You can already overwrite what players see by just putting them in the correct assets\art folder. We do it that way because many people can then contribute and only one needs to do anything before the release when rebuilding the FPKs that need it.
Buttons outside of the FPK override those inside?

I really HATE it when modders update the large FPKs and would pray we never do so outside of once at the end of the cycle. The small ones, no problem.

It's also easier just to name them when doing the art then find them as applied in the game later.

Interesting ... I'll play with that and see what the deal is with it.

@Whisperr

Some I dislike most of those. The only one I like is the Terracotta Workshop.

the problem wioth many of yours is you are using too modern of a version. Such as too modern soap and hop scotch. Others have too much white background like the broccoli and soap. Infact many of those look way worse to me.
Without some contrast, most images are just coming across as confusing blobs of jumbled colors, particularly when playing on Medium graphics settings. You can eventually start remembering which blob means what but that doesn't help much as a memory trigger. The white on some could be toned down but there MUST be a definable SHAPE more than just a 'perfect image' or the button doesn't work to perform its function which is to create something recognizable in-game.

Please don't chnage them except for maybe the Terracotta Workshop.

I worked hard to find most of those and I am very happy with the ones I have. I did not make the Terracotta Workshop though.

Please don't change them.

I also have no idea why people are trying to chnage stuff that is already done. There is so much stuff that still needs to be done. This seems like wasted effort to be remaking stuff I and other already spend time making. Sorry to get defensive over this but I to put a lot of time into getting my icon/buttons to look really nice so we would not have to redo them like this. :mad::mad::mad::aargh:[pissed]
I only want her to because I want them and it's going to be very annoying sharing the same game files and having to dance around not updating these to the svn everytime without putting them on the ignore list and then never getting them updated properly and having to redo those files with every update.

I prefer the new amber one because I see something else in the old one. It is like in the corn farm button which I see as a ferret.
This is WHY most of them do translate better. Jumbled images without a contrasting background are just splats on the screen with little definition - we simply don't have the proper resolution for many of these buttons to be successful.

Current Atemaya Orchard: Green blob
Current Art Patronage: Looks like a monument and says nothing for what it means
Current Archaeology Lab: Is that a fire? or a really fuzzy reddish peach?
Current Anchovy Nets: Are we looking at a sandbox upclose?
Current Amber Gatherer: Nice... a pile of rocks.
Current Alpaca Farm: In game looks a bit like a chocolate Easter rabbit. Or something less mentionable.

Oh and the Hopscotch and Soap look more like various types of brick walls. And why do we have a parrot for the animatronics studio?

The problem is... these images look GREAT when you blow them up and put them on the screen here. But in-game on medium graphics they look wretched.

No, not many of these NEEDED done and in some of these cases they just come across better in the game, even by a small margin. If you only look at them on high graphics setting it's probably not so noticeable.

The issues with 'too modern' could be addressed of course. Still... more important to be distinctive and trigger some kind of recognition than to be 'era appropriate' imo.

@Hydro:
The new Antique Shop looksalso better then the old one. I can understand you get defensive, and those shown above aren't too bad (the old ones). There are buttons far worse that need to be redone, maybe we should start with them. A lot of those icons you "copied" from Anno and such could use a rework. They just look weird when they are a single building.

The Antique Shop I think look equally good to each other. Note I grabbed the current one from one of those "ville" games.

Also which Anno ones do you dislike?

+1 support for new Antique Shop button
I like new Archaeology Lab, Antelop Hunter, Terracota Workshop, Hopscotch, Barley Farm, Beaver Trap ones.
I don't like Amber Gatherer and Bearberry Farm one. Current ones are not better, though. I think there is no need to change the rest.

The Archaeology Lab I disagree since the original looks more like the original "virtual man" and less like a clip art.

The Antelope Hunter I would rather keep as a painting as opposed to a photograph.

I try to make all the animal images a painting/illustration and not a photograph. As for the Hopscotch that is WAY too modern for the prehistoric era.

The Barley Farm maybe, but I think they look equally as good.

I like my beaver one better. Its hard to tell the new one. If its a muskrat or a beaver. Plus its a photograph too.

The Amber Gatherer looks too much like the Amber Mine. The one i have is more raw looking amber. Non-polished version. I made sure it and the jade gatherer have the unpolished forms for the gatherers so you could tell them apart.

His Bearberry Farm is distorted and squished.

Without some contrast, most images are just coming across as confusing blobs of jumbled colors, particularly when playing on Medium graphics settings. You can eventually start remembering which blob means what but that doesn't help much as a memory trigger. The white on some could be toned down but there MUST be a definable SHAPE more than just a 'perfect image' or the button doesn't work to perform its function which is to create something recognizable in-game.

I understand that. Some icons I had no idea what they were until I saw a larger image of them for some I did not make, so I understand you. However most of these I just don't like.

I only want her to because I want them and it's going to be very annoying sharing the same game files and having to dance around not updating these to the svn everytime without putting them on the ignore list and then never getting them updated properly and having to redo those files with every update.

Again please don't put them on the SVN. :gripe:

Again the shiny amber buttons is too close to looking like the Amber Mine. The opaque amber button I have now helps differentiate it from its upgrade. And the corn has all the types of corns rather than a single yellow corn. Much more representative of how original corn looked.

Current Art Patronage: Looks like a monument and says nothing for what it means

I agree with this but the new image doesn't look any better.

Current Archaeology Lab: Is that a fire? or a really fuzzy reddish peach?

Its a handprint cave painting.

Current Alpaca Farm: In game looks a bit like a chocolate Easter rabbit. Or something less mentionable.

It needed to look different from the Llama. With the Llama white its hard to tell in the picture provided if that's a llama or alpaca. At least with one brown and one white its easier to tell.

The issues with 'too modern' could be addressed of course. Still... more important to be distinctive and trigger some kind of recognition than to be 'era appropriate' imo.

its not just era appropriate its the fact these upgrade into similar buildings too. Such as the Soap Maker to the Soap Factory. The Soap Factory has soap that looks like modern soap, but the soap maker makes soap that looks more like tofu since that's what ancient soap looked like. Not the fancy bars we have now.

And why do we have a parrot for the animatronics studio?

I did not make that one so I don't know. But the one he gave looks too creepy to replace the parrot.

Buttons outside of the FPK override those inside?

I really HATE it when modders update the large FPKs and would pray we never do so outside of once at the end of the cycle. The small ones, no problem.

1) Yes.

2) Which is why I continually point out that the large FPKs should only be updated near release time or when many changes have been made

And the corn has all the types of corns rather than a single yellow corn. Much more representative of how original corn looked.

Except it does not look like corn at all it looks like ferrets!

Top Bottom