New Civ 1 tileset mod

tomekum

Chieftain
I fiddled with JCivED (great tool made by darkpanda) and made this custom tileset for Civilization 1. I am not an artist but I thought that default civ 1 tileset is a little barren and could use some improvements. This mod includes many changes to default look such as:
- cities have actual buildings + removed background color
- new settlers cart look
- units background color replaced with a color bar
- new trireme look
- new goody hut
- arctic (completely covered with snow)
- desert (more sand)
- forest (now it has actual trees)
- tundra (snowy pines)
- jungle (this needs some work)
- plains
- hammers instead of shields in city screen
- wheat icon instead of shield on grassland
- improved horse resource icon
- improved deer resource icon
- maybe something else I don't remember :)

UPDATE:
- fixed the mountains flickering
- fixed the ownership bar color under unit
- fixed town graphics
- cities have now flags with color indicating ownership
- less "pixelated" plains
- new goody hut graphics

Here are some screenshots:

The actual mod is in attachment. To install just copy the sp257.pic and ter257.pic files into civ1 folder.

I hope someone with better art skills will make prettier tileset but for now. Enjoy :egypt:

Attachments

• civ1tileset.zip
    36.9 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Cool, but shouldn't' arctic tile like desert? In the first picture it looks like every arctic tile looks like a big splat of snow with green grass aroun dit.

DarkPanda has a fix for the connecting arctic tiles in JCivEd if I recall correctly.
It should also work correctly in CivOne.

Good job, looks really nice!

Thanks! I didn't know such patch exists now it looks better. It's really exciting getting back to Civ 1 after all these years. I am looking forward for your CivOne project. It looks promising and I have some ideas for new features to add to the base game. In the meantime I will continue on improving the tileset and keep you updated.

UPDATE:
- fixed the mountains flickering
- fixed the ownership bar color under unit
- fixed town graphics
- cities have now flags with color indicating ownership
- less "pixelated" plains
- new goody hut graphics

Last edited:
Reactions: SWY
How do you get some trees to be snowy and some not to be? Was that part of the base game?

Also maybe change the oil resource to something that doesn't look like a black splotch. Maybe an oil droplet?

How do you get some trees to be snowy and some not to be? Was that part of the base game?

Also maybe change the oil resource to something that doesn't look like a black splotch. Maybe an oil droplet?
I just made the tundra tiles to look as snowy trees. Although game uses about 16 alternative textures for each terrain type to make a seamless transitions between tiles. So it can be also used to make the same tile to look different i.e. pine/scrub forest.

Good idea with the drop icon for oil resource. Maybe in next iteration I will use it.

it would have been so cool if one could alter the resolution of the game and the size of the tiles, then we'd be talking graphics overhaul ^^
While I'm on the subject, does anyone know if that's possible to do?

Top Bottom