New Civ 4:BTS Interview with Mantzaris on IGN!

WoolyWoolwine83

Chieftain
I'm not sure if this has been posted before (I didn't see any threads) but some new info is included (Including the leader for Portugal, Joao II, who is Imperialistic and Expansionist) New screens included!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788749p1.html

Attachments

• civilization-iv-beyond-the-sword-20070516052849090.jpg
    civilization-iv-beyond-the-sword-20070516052849090.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 539
  • civilization-iv-beyond-the-sword-20070516052851793.jpg
    civilization-iv-beyond-the-sword-20070516052851793.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 723
  • civilization-iv-beyond-the-sword-20070516052856449.jpg
    civilization-iv-beyond-the-sword-20070516052856449.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 540
Thank You Wooly!!

Anyone have an idea of whom that guy (2nd pic in Wooly's post) is? Either a second Incan/Aztec leader or a Mayan leader? I am trying to find out what ancient city is in the background of the pic for a clue.

corporation and spy seems to be pretty cool. I don't really care about new civ and new leaders. I have played so far, maybe 4 different civs, they are all about the same anyways.

Are those new units in the screenshots from bts or warlords? (the howitzer, dude dragin a cart, lancer, teutonic knight)

I'm putting my money on that dude being Maya, we've got 10 new civs so we can safely assume one of those will be Maya

Yeah I am starting to think so as well. The background kind of resembles Tikal too.

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/ldumois/maya/maya3.html

Also, the Native American archers are going to be tough.
Protective = 1 free first strike upgrade and 1 city defender upgrade.
Barracks = 3/5 experience for 2nd first strike/city defender upgrade
Totem Pole = only needs 2 experience (which seems reasonable) for 3rd upgrade.

The blue feathers on his head are reminiscent of Capac. Although his behaviour is reminiscent of Monty.

"Also, the Native American archers are going to be tough.
Protective = 1 free first strike upgrade and 1 city defender upgrade.
Barracks = 3/5 experience for 2nd first strike/city defender upgrade
Totem Pole = only needs 2 experience (which seems reasonable) for 3rd upgrade."

Wouldn't they be much tougher if they had protective three? Ie +60% to city defense??

They nerfed Cavalry! (sort of)
For instance, the Cuirassier is a new mounted unit that takes the place of the old Cavalry unit in the technology tree. We pushed Cavalry back to require rifling, thus extending the age of the musket and making the beeline to Military tradition less of a dominant strategy.

And old-Civ style spaceships!
The space race is now more suspenseful because victory is not achieved until the spaceship actually arrives, not when it's launched. Therefore, you may pull out a victory even if you launch late, by building a faster spaceship and overtaking your opponent on the way to Alpha Centauri.

...although I wonder if you can force the ship back like you used to be able to do?

Great article! Tons of details info. I am trying to do a summary for the news post but it's kinda hard because so much of the info are new. :D

Nice find thanks :).....from the article:-
However, in general, we added units to fill needed roles, rather then adding exotic units and trying to dream up roles for them. For instance, the Cuirassier is a new mounted unit that takes the place of the old Cavalry unit in the technology tree. We pushed Cavalry back to require rifling, thus extending the age of the musket and making the beeline to Military tradition less of a dominant strategy

I could quote half a dozen various posts where I suggested doing this, and actually pushed back Cavalry after Rifling myself a while back...but I won't I'll just gloat instead ;)

Nice find thanks :).....from the article:-

I could quote half a dozen various posts where I suggested doing this, and actually pushed back Cavalry after Rifling myself a while back...but I won't I'll just gloat instead ;)

Great idea! Napoleanic heavy cavalry. Congratulations.

They gave Portugal a naval UU (Carrack)?! I didn't think they would do something like that. Hopefully naval units in general will be made more useful in BtS.

They gave Portugal a naval UU (Carrack)?! I didn't think they would do something like that. Hopefully naval units in general will be made more useful in BtS.
Not really surprising. :) They had the carrack as their UU in Civ3 too.

Holy cow, is that first pic really one of the scenarios, with Civ4 in space? That looks like it's from a completely different game.

Not really surprising. :) They had the carrack as their UU in Civ3 too.

The English had the Man O War and the Americans had the F-15 in Civ3. These units were replaced with land units in Civ4. I thought that they would try to eliminate naval/air UU's completely in civ4, and I am surprised they added in the Carrack now.

One of the scenarios looks like a holy grail one

Also, notice how none of the pics show any roads/railroads. Interesting

Looks awesome. I'm looking forward to trying the Civ in Space scenario.

Any guesses as to how long it'll take spaceships to reach Alpha Centauri? According to Wikipedia it's 4.37 light-years away, so that could take quite a few years by spaceship.

Top Bottom