1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New civ : Australia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Liufeng, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I really don't mind Australia as a DLC, honestly that's where I would have put Brazil. It's entirely optional and everyone that wants it ingame can have it now. If anything it makes me hopeful that once an expansions hits it will be filled with a lot of dark horse civs that wouldn't sell so well as DLC.

whyidie, nzcamel and slyone14 like this.
  2. Furycrab

Furycrab King

Why people... Why... Now I just want the Devs to release Canada or something and watch the people complaining collective brain explode. There's no order to these things, no list of civs that needs to be done or included.

Civ looks really cool. I do wonder if it works with what I consider a semi-exploit. One way to be the target of a declaration is to DOW someone who is suzerain of a CS. It's a good way to get the inspiration for Defensive Tactics and a whole lot safer than trying to bait an AI into DOWing you. (Something that can be surprisingly difficult to do safely unless you use Battleships and plant a somewhat Troll city that the AI will consider "undefended"). It is however fun that the long version of the buff is for doing something completely active that I feel is fun to do in the current game as it both gives you stuff do do with your toys, and reasons to go liberate CSs and cities of weakened AIs to make good friends with no associated warmonger penalty.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, I think having a massive reason to liberate a city-state is a nice bonus. I know I've had games where I ponder whether to liberate the city-state, but then think that the, for example, +2 science per campus I'd gain for liberating it would not actually be better than simply keeping the city state with its already built campus (plus other improvements), so there really was no point to liberation. Especially since you'll often lose suzerainety within a few turns if someone else can throw 3 quick envoys to the city. I'd look at it as the production bonus when you get DOWed is nice, but the longer bonus when you liberate a city as something to actively play for.

4. snoochems

snoochems Prince

Aussie Aussie Aussie.

Good that we're getting into the game. I hope they buff/improve coastal tiles too. Would be a fun Civ.

slyone14 likes this.
  5. PYITE

PYITE Prince

Outback Outpost can be built on desert, desert hills, plains or grassland.

6. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

So Far, DLC are Poland and Australia... Both seems to be market meat to me (no offense to those who thought it was cool, but just read at the comments)

Well, non-classic Civ with high demand will be DLC (i'm waiting for Austria/Hungaria, Argentina, Canada) and more classic civ (Persia, Inca, mongols...) will come with the expansion

I know it's a european one again, but i vote for the Celts!!! Even if I don't play it, i'm sure there will be a lot of people asking for a Rise and Fall of Rome Scenario...

7. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Yeah but that was for Civ V which already had most major Civs and areas of the world covered. At that point any Civ was just gravy and Australia was ostensibly missing from the TSL map leaving a big gap. Right now we're still missing hugely impactful Civs that are also fan favorites so I can't blame anyone for being upset the Ottomans or Persians are still left out when the new Civ is a questionable choice even at full build out.

Zuizgond and AJ22PIZZA like this.
  8. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

Please. I wish there were more non-European/Colonial civs too, but there are already more than enough threads discussing the designers' selection criteria.

I really like Australia's UA. It encourages players to think differently about city layout and gives new relevance to a mechanic that otherwise only comes into play in the late game. The ability also seems quite potent, almost on par with Brazil's even before factoring in the housing bonus or the culture bomb. The leader ability seems quite interesting as well

I'm less sold on the UI. It looks and sounds like it should be a simple frontier development, but in practice seems more likely be built in clumps to create powerful industrial cores. Neither of these is inherently bad, but the flavor/mechanical mismatch seems odd. It does seem very powerful, especially if the accompanying patch doesn't do anything to address the dominance of production.

9. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

It's been clear for a while that The Ottomans/Persia/Mongols were probably going to be the draw cards for the first expansion pack

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Looking forward to the "Gyro Pilot" UU

;)

11. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I for one am always happy for a new civ instead of civs I have played in numerous prior civ games.

Plus it helps fill out TSL maps.

Art Morte likes this.
  12. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

If they started including the "hugely impactful civs" as DLCs, by the time we get to the second expansion we will be left with "questionable choices." I think it's great that the DLCs contain niche or minor civs, as they are less of a compulsory buy compared to expansion packs. It did feel weird to me that Civ V had Spain and Babylon as DLCs whereas BNW had so many minor ones.

I think the fact that we get Australia this early on doesn't matter, since the big civs are pretty much guaranteed in the expansion packs, sooner or later. I'm personally excited to see Australia for the same reason I was excited to see Indonesia in BNW: they are new, and they should be exciting to play on TSL maps.

13. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

This is true. Australia's colours are also quite close to Russia's (gold and dark green vs. gold and black). I already use white and green (think the saudi / pakistan flag colours) for Arabia. If Australia's colours are too close to Russia it's a trivial exercise to make the green a bit brighter.

14. Dale

Dale Deity

I have it on good authority that they added Australia to appease me. In fact I have a Skype quote from a Firaxis employee that this is exactly what happened. ;)

skype.png

Art Morte, AbsintheRed, bite and 2 others like this.
  15. Southern_Hunter

Southern_Hunter Chieftain

Petra and outback station...profit?!

16. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

John Curtain? Another war leader for a country? Menzies is right there waiting to lead a Civ to glory and they pick John Curtain. Oh well... Good choices anyhow, looks an interesting civ.

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Same with most of the unique improvements. The Stepwell comes to mind in particular.

18. standingwolf

standingwolf Chieftain

when civ 6 first came out, if we include the aztecs there were 19 civs. that included:

africa: 1
    native america (north & south): 1
    asia: 3
    the middle east: 3
    europe: 9
    european colonies: 2

and so apparently firaxis and the devs looked at those numbers and thought, right! let's add more white countries! with a grand total of 13 now, there are almost twice as many white countries (or countries ruled by whites) as everywhere else combined. and that's not even considering the fact that one of the middle eastern countries, egypt, is actually ruled by a woman of european (macedonian) stock.

c'mon, guys: you don't have to be a radical leftist to see the problem here. the game isn't called "sid meier's european civilization." no other iteration of civ has had such a flagrant imbalance. if this isn't actual racism or ethnocentrism, it's racial insensitivity on a truly staggering level given that this is a game that is supposed to take in all of human history.

Zaarin and joeyconnick like this.
  19. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

Assuming they don't have to be built next to pastures. Still, the wonder I really want as Australia is the Eiffel Tower.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  20. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I'm creating this thread in the hope we can discuss the gameplay/strategy side of the new civ rather than argue about eurocentrism and whatnot.

Anyways, my thoughts:
    1) +100% production after being DOW'd or liberating a city. We all know the AI loves to DOW fairly predictably, and they also like conquering CS, which you can liberate. The higher difficulty level, the more useful it will be. Production is king, so what's not to like? This is just really strong.

2) Extra housing from settling on the coast. This means you can create larger cities than most civs early on, and can delay or possibly skip entirely, things like neighborhoods. Housing is so often a bottleneck in the mid game. 3 extra isn't huge, but enough to make a difference and is a nice little boost.

3) The outback station is way better than most unique improvements. Food and production are always useful. And they scale, unlike most. By the end game these can make even deserts viable. Plains or grassland will be even better. Oh, and for kicks they give housing too. I think these will be spammed heavily and for good reason.

4) Extra yield from high appeal districts. This is great because holy sites and campuses are built in those spots anyway (mountains) so it's just free extra stuff. Also, it has synergy with the UI. You can build districts on the coast, saving the inland areas for outback station spam.

5) Culture bombs! I see this as being very different from Polands ability, which is an offensive weapon. You can't choose where to build a pasture so it's really not the same. But it's still a very nice ability in its own right. Pastures are built early in the game and are common. So basically it's just like getting a bunch of free land, saving lots of gold and opening up better tiles to work earlier.

The digger looks cool too, but is more of an after-thought for me, it's rare that infantry are too important.

But all things considered they look very strong as an economy-based civ. Probably top tier IMO. Honestly, even on Pangea I think they will be fine.

What do you think?