1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New civ : Australia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Liufeng, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

What's even more staggering is that they had two choices, a War Time Prime Minister that supported the White Australia policy, and an economic reformer post War who dismantled it. Here is a great quote by their choice:

Fantastic stuff guys. Could have had Australia's greatest prime minister, picked the genuine racist.

joeyconnick likes this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

While AI DOWS regularly, I don't think it will be reliable enough to base a strategy around. More of a nice extra. Australia's gold output will be nice though. And science.

3. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

I guess they wanted a leader who truly represented modern day Australia.

4. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I think you're reading too much into it. The glaring absence so far is the Mongols - big empire, unique look, fairly resilient over time. India is an aggregate of the Mughal empires that dotted the subcontinent all through the middle and classical ages. China has has massive turmoil over the years, it seems like every couple of hundred years they self-destruct and then rebuild themselves. Realistically there could be an ancient and a classical China to be authentic. This might happen with this dual leader thing.
    What I'm getting at is that when they're picking these civs, there might be a short list of half a dozen to choose from. Using India as an example, you've got a whole slew of civilisations that rose and fell in the last 5-6000 years. Harappa, Vedic, Indus Valley, Panchala, Mauryan, Kushan, Gupta, Chola etc. Which ones do you pick? Unless you're an Indian history buff, you're not going to know the difference between any of these names. So Firaxis take the safe route, and make a blanket civ which covers the whole lot.
    You get a similar problem with the native american tribes in north and south America. Do you choose Cherokee over Inuit, or Mohawk over Iroquois? Someone has to decide and invariably someone will be upset over the call.

Regarding Menzies as a leader, Harold Holt in swimming gear would have been more tongue in cheek.

5. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

Give them the God of the Open Sky pantheon, and away they go...

6. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

That's a good point about culture bombs, it will probably be used less to steal other civ's tiles and more of a expansion boost in the early game/setting up a new city

Leyrann and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  7. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

The thing is, Curtin wasn't even a principled man, as an outspoken opponent of conscription he not only forced it through during the war, but he diddled with the rules about home service (reserves, etc.) so they could be sent from our shores to strategically advantageous locations. All because we bent over and sent troops to North Africa in the first place, leaving ourselves close to defenseless without the Americans.

This isn't to say that Curtin didn't do good things, he did extend social programs and set up many things that would be relied upon in years to come, but the ground work for modern Australia was forged post war in the Menzies years and through growing relations with the United States.

I don't know, picking a War Prime Minister just seems lazy.

8. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Not remotely true. Civ 6 has less percent than both Civ 1 and 2 and 1 and is fairly close in percentage to both Civ III and Civ IV. But hey, lets not let a little thing like facts get in the way. THERE'S COMPLAININ' TO BE DONE!

DWilson likes this.
  9. Furycrab

Furycrab King

I imagine part of their decisions typically stay away from more recent figures. Especially anyone that could have been alive in the devs lifetime. I understand your frustration seeing your current forum name though <.<.

Personally, I've already fully accepted that if ever they do Canada, it'll be some old figure or a war time Prime Minister like Macdonald, Laurier, or Mackenzie King, even though I'd love if they did P.E. Trudeau.

10. Arwon

Arwon

Right. So is he voiced by an actual Australian?

Because the number of Americans who can even vaguely approximate an Australian accent is actually zero. You might as well ask a dog to breathe underwater.

Flaxton likes this.
  11. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

I just meant racist.

12. PYITE

PYITE Prince

Does it say how long you get the 100%. production bonus for?

13. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

That's going to make the Eiffel Tower a seriously good wonder for Aussies.

All tiles in your civilization gain +2 Appeal.

14. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

UA part 1 (Housing) : Looks very strong, probably OP on island based maps unless the values seen in the video gets nerfed before release. They'd only suffer on Pangaea if starting near the center of the land mass.
    Part 2 (appeal bonuses) : This looks situational. (How easy is it to reach charming without Eiffel Tower?)

UU: Probably the weakest UU in the game seen so far (due to the lateness of it), but with so many other bonuses they have it doesn't matter.

UI part 1 (Outback Station) : Note that this also provides 0.5 Housing. Also note that with future techs that a triangle of these gets food & hammer bonuses (different tech unlocks each). This looks by far to the strongest UI. And probably OP to not only include Desert / Desert Hills but Plains and especially grassland.
    UI part 2 (cultural bomb) : This is also strong, not quite as good as Poland's since you can't pick which tiles to do it in. On the other hand you don't have to do something you normally wouldn't to take advantage of it. Looks like Poland's rule applies here.

Leader UA: Actually both in the video. (10 turns for defensive war / 20 turns for liberating a city). I'm not sure how good this first half is going to be past early game given how infrequent the AI DOWs after the Classical era. (A patch though is expected to drop around the same date which may change things in that regard.) The second part depends upon what it means by "liberating". (Cities that you built but earlier lost to the AI? Cities (such as conquered city states) earlier conquered by a third party but only if you chose to liberate it back? Or the generic you liberating the citizens of that city out form underneath their oppressive government?

Preferred victory type : I'm thinking cultural. But even if seeking other forms of victory, it brings some aspects of the cultural victory into their play (getting appeal to max out their districts)

Overall, looks like a very good civ; in fact too good. Likely to be on the list banned in multi player games simply to avoid the "bribing your way to victory" trope.

15. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Yeah, 10 turns after a DOW and 20 after liberating a city.

PYITE likes this.
  16. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Base a strategy around, no. But I think it should be fairly strong. For one, DOWs are pretty much guaranteed in the early game, where extra production is most impactful. Then in the mid or late game, you can use the liberation at a time of your choosing to power through some big projects. Like the good mid game wonders, or the space race projects. 20 turns is a long time.

17. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

I think the big determining factor is how well and how often you can build the outback stations

18. Dale

Dale Deity

Whilst I too lament the lack of Menzies, calling Curtin a "genuine racist" is pretty harsh. The WAP was about protecting our resources, our western Govt, stopping our fledgling nation being overwhelmed by Indonesia and Japan, and keeping our strong UK-US links. After the wars and the collapse of UK as a genuine power, the rise of Asia called for the decommissioning of the WAP which flowed through the Menzies and Holt Govts.

19. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Victory speech for when Australia knocks out a civ:

"Ha ha! It's curtains for you!"

-ok, I'll go back to my corner now.

bite likes this.
  20. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

Curtin and Menzies were contemporaries.