New civ : Australia

Because bonuses are so skewed toward early game ones being the best, they are up there with Gorgo in terms of early level runaway. I popped an early campus with +6 or something like that right away and ran away with the game from there..
I tried a TSL on what I assume was the previous Earth map - yucko. Several copies of only one lux (far away from Settler spawn).

Tried an Island Plates, Emporer, Huge - OMG. Lots of ocean coastline and some inland seas, inside Tundra with mountains and rivers to the south (and Eyjafoquyllkhlll) = crazy OP. +5 and +6 Campus and Commercial adjacency everywhere. 10 housing in coastal cap with only 2 Pastures for health. 5 Stone!

Barbs are ferocious. Scouts attacking everything, camps spawning everywhere. It's really fun.

The patch broke Gedemon's Greatest Earth Map mod. Can't wait to play TSL on that. I also always used TCS Improved Water Yields -- made Harbors much better, but I still think they need to provide more cogs.

I fired up a game with them and TCS Improved Water Yields... holy smokes are they OP. The outback station is a very good UI which upgrades over time... Petra yields are nuts. An underrated part of what makes the outbacks good, they give you housing on the desert, and you can just spam them everywhere. The early coastal adjacency is quite good, I was so far ahead by the Medieval era that I kind of eased off the gas lol. i'm two eras ahead of everyone in late early Industrial... I've built every extra policy wonder so far, which isn't always easy to do on Immortal. Nobody has even declared war on me, due to the isolated southern hemisphere start so I can't comment on that ability. By the time I met any of them I had a huge army and was ages ahead in tech

Australia should have a coastal start typically, not start in the interior of continents (to match history and its unique abilities). The first city should by Sydney (not Canberra, although yes, that it the Capital).

Have now played through over half of a game with Australia, and I have to say, I find it hard to decide what I like most about them (apart from them being clearly my favorite civ to play). Their production bonus on being declared war is just amazing, with how fast you can push out units, walls or maybe that district in the low production city that's going to give so much of yield X. I also really, as in, extremely very much, like the Outback Station. It's basically a farm with an extra production, and disadvantages compared to normal farms are offset when you have pastures too, and cattle and sheep aren't exactly the rarest resources. And then you get Steam Power and every single Outback Station is like a mine on flat land at once, beaten only by the pastures that basically give 5+ production each. And of course having bonus yields from all "global yield" districts (science, culture, faith, gold) isn't a bad thing either... Most certainly not if there's a mountain range, well, basically in the middle of your empire, while the edge of your empire is coastal.

Wait, what game file? Proof please. :D

Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Platforms/Windows/English(US)/Speech_Localized.txt

Search on, for example, "England" in the file. First hit gives you a list with all civilizations currently in the game, plus Persia and Macedonia. The file has not been updated since sometime last year, so Australia was in it two months before it was announced at least.

(btw, the file lists the names of all the speeches in loading screen)

Maybe I got bad RGN, however, most of the time I play as Australia, my capital spawn in flat land area, lack of production. The unique improvement (which should add hammer) came too late.

Flat land? That's awesome. Early on you don't chop any forests (nor resources). If it's plains, you might have to build a few farms if you want to keep growing, but you're probably fine just improving resources, assuming you got a rice or deer or cattle (preferably) or whatever. For the early game you just use the base production from plains or forests to have some production, if that's not enough an internal trade route might help (but I doubt it's not enough; your capital has bonus production from palace anyways, and for other cities you can pick the best unimproved tiles first). In the civic tree, you beeline Guilds (and Feudalism for the +2 builder charges) and then you spam some 3-4 builders and just build like 10 Outback Stations. Guilds isn't exactly late, as it's an early medieval civic. Also, when you have Outback Stations unlocked, you do chop every single forest and bonus resource that's in the way of outback stations. If they're not better now, they will be once you have Steam Power and Rapid Deployment (together +1f1p per EVERY TWO outback stations; those things can give up to 4f4p on top of normal tile yields in the endgame. That's a big food AND a big cog visually).

A visual representation of this method (don't mind the map pins btw; I was bored and decided to name everything):

upload_2017-2-25_17-57-26.png

If you happen to get a Petra location as Australia, and some desert pasture resources..... my Gosh. I can post the yields later when i'm not my phone. It's actually better than farms to just spam the outback stations everywhere in certain circumstances. The early adjacency boosts to districts on coastal tiles is huge. I haven't thought about tiers in a while, but Australia is definitely top tier. They may even surpass Germany as the ultimate "builder" civ. The unique improvement alone is just that good.

Just finished my Australia game - turn 293 science victory on King. It probably would have taken another 10/15 turns but Gilgamesh very obligingly declared war on me as I was starting my mars module production and cut the build times in half thanks to the production boost. They are definitely a crazy strong civ. As you guys are saying, spamming Outback Stations everywhere seems to be the way to go and you can pretty much ignore the housing mechanic in any coastal city. Building your first districts on high appeal tiles can give you an unassailable lead in science and culture. The only downside I could see, and its a pretty feeble one at that, was that by the time resort improvements rolled around I had used up all the best spots with districts, so I guess you could accidentally gimp yourself in late game tourism if your going for a culture victory... but there's so many other ways to generate tourism that I can't see that ever being a big deal.

John Curtin's Agenda, btw, is "Perpetually on Guard"--he likes to form defensive pacts with friends and likes civs that liberate cities. He dislikes civs in war occupying enemy cities.

The Agenda works similar to what I would expect a Churchill leader in VI to work like. Hm. Unsure if that's a good thing.

Anyone see any YouTube videos with John Curtin's animations and seven audio lines? I only see one with his intro and another with his declaration of war at the moment.

Here's his declaration of war (with the first bit cut off):

I do like that Curtin's arm gestures mirror (quite well) his vigorous speech to Australia on the eve of the onset of war (you can find that on YouTube here:
).

Last edited:
John Curtin's Agenda, btw, is "Perpetually on Guard"--he likes to form defensive pacts with friends and likes civs that liberate cities. He dislikes civs in war occupying enemy cities.

The Agenda works similar to what I would expect a Churchill leader in VI to work like. Hm. Unsure if that's a good thing.

Anyone see any YouTube videos with John Curtin's animations and seven audio lines? I only see one with his intro and another with his declaration of war at the moment.

Here's his declaration of war (with the first bit cut off):

I do like that Curtin's arm gestures mirror (quite well) his vigorous speech to Australia on the eve of the onset of war (you can find that on YouTube here:
).

I think that line is actually his response when you, the player declares war on him.
I haven't seen his Agenda lines yet, I assume you get the approval when you form a defensive pact with him or liberate a city, and the disapproval when you occupy enemy cities.

Which victory type do you think suits them most? I feel they're particularly inclined to Science Victories.

Cultural Victories don't really suit them because the district bonuses from appeal conflict with National Park / Seaside Resort placement (even more with the nerf to appeal).
Their UU comes quite late for Domination; the game will probably be already decided by that point.
They don't get much going for Religion either, except for the appeal bonus.

On the other hand, their can place Campi and CH to get amazing bonuses, both of which are fundamental for a Science Victory.
Rushing the tech tree also unlocks their UU earlier.
Also, the extra production from Outback Stations will certainly help in building a Spaceport and the first projects. Also, due to them giving +0.5 housing, cities can also become quite tall, which means more worked tiles and even more production.
Their bonus for coastal cities means they can expand to places where other civs' cities will have limited growth.
Finally, the leader bonus means that you're only rushing their spaceship even more if you declare war to stop them.

man outback stations are incredibly OP lol they should make it to they don't stack to each other or something.

man outback stations are incredibly OP lol they should make it to they don't stack to each other or something.

People asked for useful unique improvements, after all. That was their response (albeit a kind of an overreaction).

Are Outback Stations really that OP? They unlock at Guilds, which is a tier later than Feudalism Farms and Apprenticeship Mines. Their adjacencies are pretty good, but the one at Rapid Deployment is too late to count for much, while the one at Steam Power is more relevant and nice but not that crazy. They're a very good improvement next to a Pasture, but even then they don't really make bare desert tiles worth much (without Petra of course). Their main benefit is they give good production after Steam Power on flatland. I don't know, I consider them very good but once you're at Steam Power you're only a tier away from Replaceable Parts Farms and already past Industrialization Mines. I don't think I'd go as far as to call them OP, just quite good.

Are Outback Stations really that OP? They unlock at Guilds, which is a tier later than Feudalism Farms and Apprenticeship Mines. Their adjacencies are pretty good, but the one at Rapid Deployment is too late to count for much, while the one at Steam Power is more relevant and nice but not that crazy. They're a very good improvement next to a Pasture, but even then they don't really make bare desert tiles worth much (without Petra of course). Their main benefit is they give good production after Steam Power on flatland. I don't know, I consider them very good but once you're at Steam Power you're only a tier away from Replaceable Parts Farms and already past Industrialization Mines. I don't think I'd go as far as to call them OP, just quite good.

The really interesting part is that Mines don't synergize with their UA (district get bonuses for tile appeal) at all, since Mines make appeal go through the floor. Outback Stations help offset this by adding production, food and housing, letting the city grow taller and work more production-increased tiles.

Outbacks also receive their upgrade not long after Industrialization, which is also a quite useful offset (making them only slightly inferior to Mines).

The really interesting part is that Mines don't synergize with their UA (district get bonuses for tile appeal) at all, since Mines make appeal go through the floor. Outback Stations help offset this by adding production, food and housing, letting the city grow taller and work more production-increased tiles.

Outbacks also receive their upgrade not long after Industrialization, which is also a quite useful offset (making them only slightly inferior to Mines).

We shouldn't forget that mines are bugged right now and give -2 appeal instead of -1. Or that Pastures get +1 production for every adjacent Outback Station from Steam Power on. That's 6-8 production pastures you get there.

Decided to check out reviews on Steam: more negative than positive, most recommended reviews positive, most recent reviews negative (mostly "gib mac\linux version")

Personally I'm happy to see a new and interesting addition to the line-up. After the last patch the game feels a whole lot better to me, and Australia is fun to play. I haven't been posting much because I got bored and stopped playing, but the combination of the patch and the new civ brought me back. I'm actually starting to feel optimistic about the game again :)

Top Bottom