1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New civ : Australia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Liufeng, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Crikey! I did not expect this in the least.

Not surprised that it's turned out to be controversial here, but it's certainly a breath of fresh air. The eurocentricity of this instalment was well established and I can only hope that they'll add more diverse civs later.

It looks like they are pursuing the highly requested civs this time around, both in the base game (Kongo) and DLC (Poland). It makes sense to make the standalone civs the most marketable. I fully expect to see Korea in the near future. I have no problem with this at all, so long as we get our Persia, Ottomans, and Maya etc later.

Also, as it's always worth mentioning in threads like this, Civ is a video game, not an award show for The Most Significant Cultures In History. :p

2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Yeah I absolutely hate it when they put in civs that significant portions of the community really wants.

Next time I hope its a civ that literally no one wants! That would be something I could really get behind...

oh...wait...

screw you Yossarian

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I was both surprised by the topic and the very existence of the video. I am just now reflecting on the events of the morning.

4. valamas

valamas Prince

So sad. The plane crash.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Since this will be arriving on the same day as the SDK and mod support, I will be greatly surprised if a Saxton Hale alternate leader mod doesn't appear amongst the first wave of creations :lol:

marius_kaparius likes this.
  6. Bechhold

Bechhold King

I'm guess Australia was chosen because it cost the least amount of development time, I mean this is a joke right? We still don't have the Ottomans, Dutch, Portuguese, Persians, Mongols, or any Native American civilization. But we get another Anglo-Saxon civ and a colony at that.

Stupid.

AJ22PIZZA, nzcamel and migalhone like this.
  7. youngsteve

youngsteve Chieftain

Australia was just a former colony of ours like America. Neither are real civilizations, just made up countries of immigrants from around the world.. Obviously in the consumer world that is a different matter.

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Pete Murray just Tweeted that Waltzing Matilda is the theme song.

nzcamel likes this.
  9. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Still, a better choice than Kongo (no significant achievements) or Brazil (tourist bonuses for a nation with very few tourists). The Australians have some significant scientific and cultural achievements:

Australian inventions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Australian_inventions
    Australian cultural achievements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Australian_television_soap_operas ;)

The civilization model should allow civilizations to liberate parts of their empire and in that scenario later era civilizations could emerge USA / Australia / Brazil / Canada / Argentina.

I was hoping for Persia or Korea.

nzcamel and migalhone like this.
  10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

So apparently the name of the game was changed from Civilization to Nation States while I wasn't looking. :wallbash: You know, I've been quite vocal about my dislike of modern states, but even if I were to include a modern state Australia wouldn't even be in the top 10...In my opinion, this is blatant market pandering.

11. Magil

Magil Monarch

Something to consider is that they may be saving the more ancient/pre-colonial Civs for an expansion pack and releasing the popular "novelty" Civs as DLC. It could very well just be marketing strategy. I very much doubt we'll have the first expansion pack and not see some of the other Civs that have been important set pieces in past Civs like the Maya, the Inca, Persia, Mongolia, etc. included.

agonistes and nzcamel like this.
  12. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Alternatively, there's the reverse situation where they could add some kind of aboriginal leader for Australia further down the line, though I guess that could lead to some troublesome implications, given that an aboriginal Australia should probably be its own fully separate civ...

13. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Civ VI is a new Civ iteration, it doesn't automatically have to include Civilizations from past Civ games, even if they are we'll known and prominent.

TBH I'm glad Australia are in it since I've never seen them before, plus they look like they'll be fun to play. (Which is the most important thing.)

oakdragon likes this.
  14. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

I mean technically everyone outside of Africa/Mesopotamia is an immigrant though

AJ22PIZZA and nzcamel like this.
  15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I hope you are right. I definitely want to see the more ancient civs like Persia and Inca.

Of course, it is market pandering. Firaxis in the business of selling games. And let's face it, there are a lot more Australians able to buy the game then there are Hittites.

nzcamel, Leyrann and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  16. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Haven't they mentioned wanting to appeal to people who like playing TSL Earth maps? Australia seems like a logical answer to that.

17. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

So, Australia, uh? Not what I was expecting.

Anyway, I'll be doing what I usually do. Here's Johnny!

And more John. And MORE John.

Really like this leader! :) They did a wonderful job with him.
    Not so much with the colors though - Arabia vs Australia games will surely be a pain.

As for the bonuses, Australia does look like a really interesting civilization to play as, so that's exciting!

nzcamel, Siptah and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  18. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

You forget the Aussie unique ability...

Australian settlers automatically clear all city states and barbarian encampments on their home continent.

Victoria and nzcamel like this.
  19. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Now if only that had correct Earth Map and where you could play on a huge setting.

20. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I do like Australia as an "official" civ, even more that it was relegated to being an (ultimately) optional DLC and not included in the base game or an expansion - I'm looking at you USA and Brazil. It is certainly a breeze of fresh air in the overall conservative base game civ roster.

Such an early release of Australia also hints at a return to more 'classic' civs next time around. Firaxis has checked out most of relevant European civilizations and states very early on, and that only leaves more space for the peoples like the Turks, Persians, various East and Southeast Asians, Africans and Native Americans. I seriously doubt the devs would cut the branch they've been sitting on for two decades and completely omit civilizations like Korea, Mongolia, the Maya and the Inca, Persia and such. They are just going to be released at a later date, most likely in a bigger DLC or an expansion next year.

After all, "in matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.". I am sure Firaxis realises what their rock is.