New civ : Australia

Of course, it is market pandering. Firaxis in the business of selling games. And let's face it, there are a lot more Australians able to buy the game then there are Hittites.
I don't have a problem with that to a degree. Of course they're a business and should make money. That's why I don't have a problem with DLC and roll my eyes at people who constantly demand free updates. Still, they should have waited to release Australia until after the Deluxe Edition DLC were released: then the Australians could buy it and the rest of us wouldn't feel like we wasted our money disabling a civilization that we technically paid for... :/

Not so much with the colors though - Arabia vs Australia games will surely be a pain.

While I think it is unlikely, there is a chance that the colors are not final. Just as they changed all the time before release. But those two civs really are too close color wise - they could at least reverse the colors... Or maybe the DLC/patch changes Arabia's colors?

I'm a bit annoyed about Australia not because of the country of course, I have friends and family there, but it hasn't done much on the world stage nor is important culturally.
I consider a civilisation an organised society that has left something to the world and Australia did nothing, at least that I know about, and the same goes for Canada.
There are so many cultures and countries to choose from, why Australia now? I don't like this commercial turn of the game.

I'm a bit annoyed about Australia not because of the country of course, I have friends and family there, but it hasn't done much on the world stage nor is important culturally.
I consider a civilisation an organised society that has left something to the world and Australia did nothing, at least that I know about, and the same goes for Canada.
There are so many cultures and countries to choose from, why Australia now? I don't like this commercial turn of the game.
Apparently it is not just about sales but also about catering the fans. It was stated that Australia was one of the most requested civs for Civ 5.

I don't have a problem with that to a degree. Of course they're a business and should make money. That's why I don't have a problem with DLC and roll my eyes at people who constantly demand free updates. Still, they should have waited to release Australia until after the Deluxe Edition DLC were released: then the Australians could buy it and the rest of us wouldn't feel like we wasted our money disabling a civilization that we technically paid for... :/

Its the 5th most subed workshop civ from CiV (other than alt leaders); that isn't Australian only. It is a very popular civ for the entire community.

I'm guess Australia was chosen because it cost the least amount of development time, I mean this is a joke right? We still don't have the Ottomans, Dutch, Portuguese, Persians, Mongols, or any Native American civilization. But we get another Anglo-Saxon civ and a colony at that.

Stupid.

Aztec are native american.

That said, popular demand probably played a role, as well as filling the TSL map.

The bolded just sounds like "It's popular now it sucks" to me.

I think an implication of the live stream announcement is that there will be a scenario called Outback Tycoon. And it's not militaristic in focus.

So this is just throwing some more speculative oil on the fire. I have no idea what I'm talking about, I've played, like, 6 games so I don't even know if I've seen all the city states in the game yet. But I have noticed that most of the CS are usually the same, most of the ones I've seen have popped up in at least 2 or 3 games. And it's actually relevant, somewhat, in Civ VI, in V it was just change the name and it's a new CS, in VI they have unique abilities.

Sydney was not featured as a CS which I did notice. On the flip side Toronto is. So it would make sense they would put Australia in the game, and leave out Canada.

There is no Cusco in the game, nor any CS that I recognize as being from Peru. On the flip side La Venta is in the game. Now La Venta is technically Olmec, not Maya but based on this I would certainly expect the Inca to be one of the relatively sooner additions to the game, probably before the Maya.

Another CS that is notably lacking is Vienna. Prague is featured in the game, but not Vienna. So I would definitely expect Austria to be one of the sooner additions to the game.

There's also no Karakorum or anything resembling a Mongol CS, I mean at no point did Mongol society at all resemble a CS, but this might point to the Mongols being featured soon.

There's AFAIK no Tehran or Persepolis or anything like that, could mean Persia will be added, not necessarily though as it wasn't really a city state.

The real big one that IS featured in the game? Seoul. With a very powerful, unique ability, too. So I do not expect Korea to be added to the game before the expansion. Again, baseless speculation here but I would expect they will re-do the CSes at the expansion, so the ones left out are likely to be released before while the ones included would not until after.

Amsterdam and Lisbon are in that category too, they aren't as unique but they are featured. So I do not expect a Dutch or Portuguese civilization before the first expansion, I would really hope not anyway, there is already too much Europe going on especially if they add Austria. Carthage is also featured, so, again, it'll probably be an expansion civ.

Also not speculation but I really want to see Ragusa and Florence as CSes, come to think of it Florence might be in but I'm pretty sure Ragusa isn't.

I hope you are right. I definitely want to see the more ancient civs like Persia and Inca.

Civ VI is a new Civ iteration, it doesn't automatically have to include Civilizations from past Civ games, even if they are we'll known and prominent.

TBH I'm glad Australia are in it since I've never seen them before, plus they look like they'll be fun to play. (Which is the most important thing.)

If I view it from the perspective of "classic" Civs for an expansion and "novelty" Civs for DLC, it makes a lot of sense. I have a difficult time believing they could release an expansion without some or most of those Civs I listed off anyway.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of single-Civ DLC packs, especially at this price. No matter what the Civ is.

So this is just throwing some more speculative oil on the fire. I have no idea what I'm talking about, I've played, like, 6 games so I don't even know if I've seen all the city states in the game yet. But I have noticed that most of the CS are usually the same, most of the ones I've seen have popped up in at least 2 or 3 games. And it's actually relevant, somewhat, in Civ VI, in V it was just change the name and it's a new CS, in VI they have unique abilities.

Sydney was not featured as a CS which I did notice. On the flip side Toronto is. So it would make sense they would put Australia in the game, and leave out Canada.

There is no Cusco in the game, nor any CS that I recognize as being from Peru. On the flip side La Venta is in the game. Now La Venta is technically Olmec, not Maya but based on this I would certainly expect the Inca to be one of the relatively sooner additions to the game, probably before the Maya.

Another CS that is notably lacking is Vienna. Prague is featured in the game, but not Vienna. So I would definitely expect Austria to be one of the sooner additions to the game.

There's also no Karakorum or anything resembling a Mongol CS, I mean at no point did Mongol society at all resemble a CS, but this might point to the Mongols being featured soon.

There's AFAIK no Tehran or Persepolis or anything like that, could mean Persia will be added, not necessarily though as it wasn't really a city state.

The real big one that IS featured in the game? Seoul. With a very powerful, unique ability, too. So I do not expect Korea to be added to the game before the expansion. Again, baseless speculation here but I would expect they will re-do the CSes at the expansion, so the ones left out are likely to be released before while the ones included would not until after.

Amsterdam and Lisbon are in that category too, they aren't as unique but they are featured. So I do not expect a Dutch or Portuguese civilization before the first expansion, I would really hope not anyway, there is already too much Europe going on especially if they add Austria. Carthage is also featured, so, again, it'll probably be an expansion civ.

Also not speculation but I really want to see Ragusa and Florence as CSes, come to think of it Florence might be in but I'm pretty sure Ragusa isn't.

It is very safe to assume none of the CS will show up as full civs, at least not until a full xpac arrives. It wouldn't make sense to make such a significant change in regular DLC.

Florence isn't in nor any Italian CS so that could point to an Italian civilisation based on your reasoning

Speaking as someone who used to live down under and very nearly married an aussie...........there's dozens of other civs I'd rather see released before Australia.

Not because they are "Eurocentric" but because they barely qualify as a Civ. Having said that, the Sydney Opera House looks awesome on the map.

It is very safe to assume none of the CS will show up as full civs, at least not until a full xpac arrives. It wouldn't make sense to make such a significant change in regular DLC.
I don't think we can assume that. In Civ V some vanilla city-states became DLC civs. There's no reason to assume that it won't happen again.

I *think* Vienna is in the Viking DLC, but I'm not sure as a mod I use seems to break the DLC, so I barely played with it.

Florence isn't in nor any Italian CS so that could point to an Italian civilisation based on your reasoning
*cough* Genoa. Or whatever that discovery in the database was, Genoese Crossbowmen? Could very well be a UU for a Italian civ, but then again... people crying about "eurocentrism" even now.
On the other hand, Rome has (obviously) no non-classic unique, so I guess it would be reasonable? Also, how high was a modern/medieval Italian civ on the popularity for subbed civ5 civs?

*cough* Genoa. Or whatever that discovery in the database was, Genoese Crossbowmen? Could very well be a UU for a Italian civ, but then again... people crying about "eurocentrism" even now.
On the other hand, Rome has (obviously) no non-classic unique, so I guess it would be reasonable? Also, how high was a modern/medieval Italian civ on the popularity for subbed civ5 civs?

I'd dislike Italy as civilization. Both Italy and Germany only became single countries in the 19th century, but where Germany has seen rulers before (both as Holy Roman Emperors and simply as Prussia when they got more powerful) as well as waged quite a few wars since then (French-German war of 1870-71, WW1, WW2) and has gone on to become one of the central countries in the EU, Italy was a much looser patchwork of city states. Imo it just makes more sense that there's some four or five Italian city states than that there's an Italian civilization. Also, it would cause naming problems, as for both Italy and the Roman Empire it's very clear that Rome should be the capital, whereas with some other civlizations (Greece, Germany, Russia, etc) you could point to other cities too.

Now that we've all agreed that Austrailia is in here because the community requested it as opposed to their historical contributions, and that depending on your point of view, this is either ok or the worst thing Firaxis could possibly do...

Lets discuss gameplay! Austrailia's abilities give it some interesting motivations other civs don't have. First of all, a city on a costal tile gives +8 housing, which is huge, and probably the best part of their ability. Yes, its fewer tiles to work, but it means you can delay getting housing for much longer than other civs. How can Australia abuse this advantage to get ahead in other ways? I'm torn. On one hand, you don't need to build as many farms for housing purposes, which means you can build your districts earlier and get bonuses from them sooner, without sacrificing growth or hitting the housing limit! On the other hand, you could also build farms to grow your cities huge early without being restricted by growth. I'm not sure what the best balance will be.

I feel like the harbor district is surprisingly not going to be a huge priority for Australia. You'll eventually get the adjacency bonus for them when you put it next to your commercial hubs, but the rest of the bonuses a harbor provides are pretty minimal for them. The housing provided by harbor buildings aren't going to be very important, and you can already build ships from the start since you'll want cities by the coast. Eventually, you'll probably want them for the trade route, but that's about it. Commercial districts, on the other hand, will be great.

The outback station seems pretty good, and is definitely one of the best unique tiles, but it will be interesting to see how many places you can spam them, considering the relatively late place they come in the tech tree, and the fact that your cities will be primarily costal. It probably won't be a game changer.

The digger will be almost useless unless its bonuses are huge. It's both an infantry unit and its late in the game, which is not a good combination for a UU.

Citadel of Civilization sounds situationally great, thats a pretty huge production bonus. In single player it means you have a pretty big incentive to be the world police while annoying everyone. If Austrailia becomes a top civ in MP, it will be because everyone is too afraid to go to war with them.

No unique district hurts them in terms of civ tiering, so I'd say this is probably a middle of the road civ, but it will be interesting to see how these bonuses work out. I could be wrong.

Weird choice.

What will they do with the obvious civilizations that will be released sooner or later. Do they want to keep it for a bigger expansion?

I don't think we can assume that. In Civ V some vanilla city-states became DLC civs. There's no reason to assume that it won't happen again.

Bear in mind that the city states in VI are a little more 'flavourful' in that they have unique abilities that try to capture their significance in the real-world, for a few of them it would be a lot harder to simply rename them and keep the suzerain bonus the same whilst still making sense. I think that we can read into the more noticeable absences/discount existing ones from the city state list as clues towards future DLC/expansion civs as Firaxis is probably taking care to plan ahead a little more than with Civ V

Top Bottom