1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New civ : Australia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Liufeng, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Valid points, I guess a renaissance Northern-Italy civ would make more sense in that regard (as long as its not like Venice 2.0 :p )

Also, dont forget there was both Germany and the HRE in civ4! :D

nzcamel likes this.
  2. luigilime

luigilime Prince

you should come to the thread talking about Italy as a civilization if you want to continue this discussion, I think this isn't the right place if you want to talk about this.

3. Synth

Synth Warlord

To be fair, I do think we needed a colonial south-american civ. I just wished it was Gran Colombia instead of Brazil.

Figured the same thing. The expansion will probably be heavy on acient civs, I'd even wager focusing more on Asia.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  4. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

Yes, i thought that too. I never expected this. Really unexpected. But okay, right now the gameplay and AI is not good and I will be happy if they can fix that or make it better.

And I hope they will include at some point:
    Ottomans
    Persia
    Inca and/or mayan
    Netherlands/Austria
    more eastern asia civs (korea, siam)
    mongolia
    babylon
    Variation in leaders (usa, china, japan, isabella, russia, france and rome)

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I'd say there's a difference between the Holy Roman Empire that Charlemagne founded (quite clearly the focus of Civ 4) and the Holy Roman Empire that continued afterwards (and of which Frederick Barbarossa is a leader), as that second HRE had far less power, sometimes even in name only.

nzcamel likes this.
  6. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Warlord

Interesting. I assume they're saving the missing "core" civs for the first full expansion. So don't expect to get Persia, Mongols, or Inca until then.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Australia's Campuses, Holy Sites, and Commercial hubs are going to tend to have more yields simply because you're likely to put them places which have high appeal anyway, namely along mountains, rivers, and forests. On top of that, coasts also have higher appeal, and since you're building on the coast for the housing bonus, you can build districts along the coast too for higher yields.

8. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I disagree, the UU and UB of the HRE in civ4 were clearly medieval/renaissance (and the units were speaking Low German, a north German dialect, that originated from the Old Saxon, not Old Franconian, language), opposed to the leaderhead being early medieval (and Franconian).

9. Synth

Synth Warlord

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how long after announcement it took for Poland to be avaliable?

10. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Poland had no announcement. ^^" It just appeared along with the First Look video.

slyone14, nzcamel and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Wut?

I appreciate what Firaxis are trying to do here. They want TSL representation, they said they'd do that with DLC from the start. They want to give players the countries they want, there's always been a small but sizeable crowd asking for Oz.

There is virtually no argument to say this is a money move though, as Oz players will already be playing civ, probably identifying as british for the purposes of the game, or choosing their fave empire gameplay or flavour wise like everyone else. I cannot see an Oz civ at this point adding any noticeable size to the Oz player base.

Gameplay wise, this isn't a particularly unique civ either. All the bonuses are more or less seen elsewhere, or could be applied to other civs just as easily. So what value does this add when they could give the community what it's actually been asking for like Persia?

I like Australia, and i think i'll like playing it enough, my favourite part about them is already their soundtrack. But I feel like Firaxis are stuck in a severely backward working culture that is so reactive they are responding to demands on CiV and applying them to CVI.

What this choice is is bland. If they want TSL, they should go all in and do it properly with different cultures and really different mechanics alongside that change the way you play, like they did with the Aztecs.

/rant XD

nzcamel likes this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

You guys are clearly missing the obvious. They picked Australia because John Curtin looks like Ed Beach.

13. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Warlord

Poor choice.Civs should have some sort of relevance to history in their time.Austrailia has none in this time frame.

14. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Nah, Ed looks like a skinny Brendan Fraser with glasses

15. Eagle Pursuit

Which is which? I can't tell!

tomaltachpaulson, PYITE and nzcamel like this.
  16. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

*Runs from the hordes of angry CFC users*

bite likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Anyway, thoughts on John Curtin's agenda:

I think he will like civs that are at war with civs that declared war on him.

slyone14 likes this.
  18. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Look, I'll say this - By and large Civ is a franchise, and as such a franchise needs staples. These staples like Rome, China, England, and America (and other well rounded historical heavyweights) are the types of Civs that boost the franchise in terms of legitimacy. No matter what, we're always going to have these staples of Civilization. The question that comes next is - what do we do with the remaining civs? Do we only include these well known gargantuans of history? It's worth looking at how Firaxis has historically operated.

Recently, Firaxis has been taking strides towards catering towards specific markets. When BNW was announced, and that Brazil was an inclusion - many in the community were shocked - angry even. Since then, Brazil has been included in Beyond Earth and in Civ VI. Poland is another example of a specific market. With the inclusion of Australia as a DLC, we can assume that this is another specific market that they're catering towards. We can probably assume that Canada is to be included at some time within the lifespan of Civ VI. Portugal is also included in this to a certain extent.

So with Poland, Brazil, Australia, and Canada out of the way - this leaves us with our remaining civs. Of course, we can assume that the heavyweights will return in the future - but there are quite a few slots available that allow Firaxis to get away with some pretty interesting choices. In Civ V, these 'interesting choices' were notably Venice and Shoshone, the inclusion of which shocked many in the community (again). These civs (alongside Brazil) are now relatively normalised, and the interesting byproduct is that suddenly, because these Civs were placed up against heavyweights like Arabia and India - people are suddenly taking these cultures a lot more seriously. It's interesting the impact that video games can have in this regard.

Heavyweights will always exist. Specific civs that cater to demographics will always exist. Civ is an investment really, and you'll just have to trust that the end lineup will be well rounded.

19. isau

isau Deity

Not what I would have picked, but a new civ is better than none. I already have an idea on how I will be updating their ability sets for the Combined Tweaks mod.

20. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Warlord

Australia combined with the Auckland CS could be interesting. The increased housing from Australia and production from Auckland could make island cities a lot more viable. Viable enough though, not sure? Also, do they make it clear if you can build the Outback Outpost on top of Cattle/Sheep and retain the bonus resource?

nzcamel likes this.