New Civ look Poland

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator

It worked just fine before. Why would it be broken now?

It was only citadels before, I hope they did test it first, or just watch out for those builders during war time

It worked just fine before. Why would it be broken now?

Well, in Civ V you could only steal tiles with Great Generals, of which you had a finite supply. Forts are in theory infinitely spammable. So you could churn out 10 military engineers and just take all of some AI's land on a whim.

I have no issue with the Encampment claiming tiles because you're limited to one per city anyway, but I suspect forts might be too much. I'll have to see how it plays though.

I hope there is some restriction they didn't speak about;
Edit: well actually i don't think builders can build fort, only military engineers, and they are not so easy to spam. I believe they need an encampment with armory and some hammers too, I never really used them

I hope there is some restriction they didn't speak about

There's got to be, right? As presented in this video it seems totally ridiculous, but they probably put some limitations on it. You can't just take every single tile a rival civ has with 15 forts, right? You can't just steal the Eiffel Tower with a fort, right? We'll find out the answer to those questions pretty soon I guess.

Anyway, tile-stealing aside, Poland looks alright to me. The military->wild card slot conversion might have some uses but looks rather weak after Political Philosophy, when you would probably be running Classical Republic anyway. But a Civ with better trade routes and a unique cavalry unit is probably OK.

I love this tile-stealing capacity, and Poland is cool. I'm just afraid it's overpowered, but you're right, I guess we can't steal wonders, neither districts probably, and that make quite less tiles to steal.

I love this tile-stealing capacity, and Poland is cool. I'm just afraid it's overpowered, but you're right, I guess we can't steal wonders, neither districts probably, and that make quite less tiles to steal.

You can, however, steal a tile with a wonder under construction. There's even an achievement for it.

Out of all great Polish kings, they choose someon, who was a king for only a couple of years and didnt actually do anything...
Ah, but she's a woman.

Anyway, this civilisation seems to have about double as many bonuses as needed, at the least. Perfect for a DLC, sigh.

Anyway, this civilisation seems to have about double as many bonuses as needed, at the least. Perfect for a DLC, sigh.

I do find the sheer number of bonuses a bit overwhelming. Jadwiga's UA has three separate components and Poland's UA has two, and then there's also the UU and UB. Seven unique things about a civilization is a lot. I think it might be more elegant to reduce the number of uniques and make them more memorable. Contrast Poland's plethora of bonuses with those of a simple Civ like Greece or Rome; I think the latter kind of design is less cluttered and more effective.

From Ed on twitter "it can only steal tiles within 3 spaces of claiming city"

Top Bottom