New Civ: The Scots of Alba

Pangur Bán

Deconstructed
DOn't expect too much, this is just a replaced civ :D...but...fancy playing a game as the Scots? Or, to be more accurate in modern terms, the Gaels of Alba?

The original term "Scot" meant "Gael" and the Gaels almost certainly came from Ireland. These people established colonies in western Caledonia, and a territory grew up there first called "Dál Riata", then, after the takeover of "Pictland", called "Alba." Alba originally meant Britain, but came, by the end of the 9th century to refer to the area of northern Britain ruled by the Gaels. The Gaels ruled Scotland (Alba) until the death of Alexander III in 1286. After that, the kingdom is still predominantly Gaelic in makeup, but the culture of the kingdom becomes Anglo-"Frankish".

This is a small mod, quite simple in purpose: to allow you to play as the Gaels of Alba without going through the tedious work of "adding" them yourself. Those who know me on these boards, know my love of Celtic Scotland, so perhaps not many of you will use this mod. :)
Anyhoo, Alba replaces the Celts. It has not been added because of the problems downloading the leaderheads. I don't imagine this will cause too many problems, as the Gaels were Celts, and so a game with both might be a bit silly :).

The UU is the "Highlander" (not very original I know), which replaces Medieval Infantry, and has the same powers as the latter, but treats all terrain as roads and upgrades to Rifleman instead of Guerrilla and costs one shield more. The unit requires Feudalism. Credit to Kindred 72 for the UU. I am not particularly happy with this name though, because the "Highlander" is more famous for his fire and charge tactics that require the use of gunpowder. But it'll do for now until I think of a better name! ;) Actually, I'd like to hear suggestions? :goodjob:

Please note that the city and leader lists for the other civs are more extensive than in the civ3x. There is an accompanying civilopedia entry.

There is also a world map version, a slightly altered version of the Kal-El WM. So, credit to him too. For this, the Iroquois have been changed to "Native America" and the Ottomans to "Turks." This makes sense for the world map. ;)

I did the city lists and the Civilopedia entry. These, especially the city list, took quite a bit of research. :eek: All the city names have the orthographic form they had in the middle ages, and most of them take their first ever recorded form. I researched these all to make it more realistic. Thank goodness for my Uni library. The civilopedia entry was a bit rushed though, but should do for the moment.

This mod is for PTW only

Enjoy :goodjob:

Click Here to Download the Mod - 1 MB

Here is the readme, which contains all the info about the new civ and installation explanation:

Attachments

• albamodreadme.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 410
:goodjob:

I'll definitely take a look.

I see Ruthirglen in the city lists - is that modern day Rutherglen? That's my home town :)

Originally posted by calgacus
Here is the readme, which contains all the info about the new civ and installation explanation:

Credit to Kindred 72 for the UU. I am not particularly happy with this name though, because the "Highlander" is more famous for his fire and charge tactics that require the use of gunpowder. But it'll do for now until I think of a better name! ;) Actually, I'd like to hear suggestions?

Well you could call him a clansman which is a rather generic term. Alternatively, Claymoreman or Claymore Warrior since that is what he seems to be wielding. I think the term highlander is fine though. I'd really like to see a unit that carries out a highland charge -it could work with a move of 2 and blitz characterstic.

Originally posted by KingArthur

Well you could call him a clansman which is a rather generic term. Alternatively, Claymoreman or Claymore Warrior since that is what he seems to be wielding. I think the term highlander is fine though. I'd really like to see a unit that carries out a highland charge -it could work with a move of 2 and blitz characterstic.

Yeah, such a unit would be brilliant :eek:

Since there wan't a great deal of non-geographical military specialization before the coming of the Normans, Highlander might have to do, even though the Highlands as a whole was not regarded as a regonizable region in the period. The divisions, in military terms, are usually "Scot, Pict, Galwegian, Briton and Norman" :) So, perhaps it could be called "Scottish Swordsman" or "Gaelic Swordsman" (it isn't often understood that in this period the Scots were Gaels by definition).

Calgacus
Jusy a couple of things I noted
- there are no resources on the version with the world map.
- the pedia entry for Scots has a link to the Highlander Unique Unit but it jumps you to the Gallic Swordsman entry.
- the actual Highlander entry doesn't have a description.

- the pedia entry for Scots has a link to the Highlander Unique Unit but it jumps you to the Gallic Swordsman entry.

I knew that, it was me that did that. ;)

- the actual Highlander entry doesn't have a description.

Knew that too! :)

I started a game on the world map. Finished off the English in the first 15 turns, but I'm isolated and thus technologically backward. So, I've placed some goody huts next to the Scottish starting location as well.

Calgacus
Jusy a couple of things I noted
- there are no resources on the version with the world map.

Didn't notice that. Shame on me :cringe:

Thanks for the feedback, KA! It's appreciated! :goodjob:

I have acted on it. ;)

Update to version 2.!

Changes:

1) Civilopedia entry for "Highlander added"
2) Resources generated for worldmap.

BTW, do people think the UU is underpowered? Should I increase the Highlanders stats?

At the mo., it replaces Medieval Infantry, but has the same cost and power, with the one advantage of "treat all terrain as roads". Is that underpoweredness? ;) Or about right? :confused:

BTW, do people think the UU is underpowered? Should I increase the Highlanders stats?

At the mo., it replaces Medieval Infantry, but has the same cost and power, with the one advantage of "treat all terrain as roads". Is that underpoweredness? ;) Or about right? :confused:
I'd make 'em slightly cheaper. If you look at the Med Inf he's pretty much kitted out in expensive body armour. Alternatively minus 1Defence and +1 Attack relative to Med Inf.

Yeah, KA, I agree. I was thinking about doing that yesterday. It would also reflect the greater militarization of the Gaelic social system. They could recruit cheaply.

However, there is the danger of overpowering. I mean, would you be happy playing against a Scottish civ with that UU? ;)

are you using my Robert the Bruce from the PtW cd?

Nope, sween. It just replaces the Celts. But that's an idea I played with. The only problem is that I wasn't sure if everyone would have kept those files - maybe some peple like to save disk space, or maybe they've upgraded. Myself - I've got the new versions of most the mods that came with PTW. Too much uncertainty!

The other option: Your file is 20 megs or something, so I don't think it'd be worth forcing people to download that amount of MB just to play this small mod. Besides, the leader is Malcolm II - your leaderhead looks like Robert the Bruce! ;)

I don't suppose many will play more than one or two games with this mod - so the Celts won't be sorely missed. I think that replacing them was the best decision.

ah, ok. what are the stats for the UU?

same as medieval infantry, 1 shield more expensive, but treats all terrain as roads. That's
Cost 5
Moves 1 (as road)
Attack 4
Defense 2

Good work.
Rename them Gaels. The Scots Definately came from Ireland not "almost certainly". Irish and Scots are both Gaels (Goidelic Celts), Welsh are Brythonic Celts.
I'd give the UU Att4. Def2, Mov2, ignore move cost of hills and mountains, and possibly woods.

Originally posted by Tathlum
Good work.
Rename them Gaels. The Scots Definately came from Ireland not "almost certainly". Irish and Scots are both Gaels (Goidelic Celts), Welsh are Brythonic Celts.
I'd give the UU Att4. Def2, Mov2, ignore move cost of hills and mountains, and possibly woods.

Well, the Scotii are first mentioned as attacking from Scotland. And contrary to traditional history, the archaeology of Argyleshire (Dalriada) shows no break with the past - which has led some to speculate that the Gaels were a interchannel sea people, and not a specifically Irish people. This is merely speculation, but do you now see why "almost certainly" is preferable to "definitely".

I may release a patch for this mod, BTW, to alter slightly the UU stats and to correct a tiny bug in the one of the scenarios where I forgot to cancel the Gallic Warrior.

Cal why dont you make a version that does´nt replace any other civilization?

Originally posted by Yoda Power
Cal why dont you make a version that doesn't replace any other civilization?

Simple: Leaderheads and popularity! Only a few will ever play the mod. Thus there'd be no point uploading megs and megs when the Celts already do the job. :)

Simple: Leaderheads and popularity! Only a few will ever play the mod. Thus there'd be no point uploading megs and megs when the Celts already do the job. :)
One leaderhead and one unit does´nt take very long to download.

It does for me now, as I am on 58K until I go away to the US in September. :( What leaderhead would you use BTW Yoda?

Top Bottom