1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New Civ: USSR

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Primus Motor, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Primus Motor

Primus Motor Chieftain

Hello

I have now made the first release version (0.5) of the USSR mod for Civilization IV.

However, I don't have handy webspace available, so it is yet available on Yousendit and Filefarmer (both really slow):

Download

This civ has new graphics, its own unique unit, some kind of Civilopedia entries and new music. The leaders are Joseph Stalin and Mikhail Gorbachev (from two different eras of the Soviet history) and the unique unit (at least for now) is a Soviet MiG fighter (better chance to intercept aircraft and withdraw, as well as a 12 range instead of 10).

I know this mod might seem modest (hopefully not trashy!) but it's still just the version. In the future I plan to add 3D leaderheads (if we ever get to do that... also I can't do that alone, might need help though ;) ) as well as improve some aspects and add new campaigns to support the mod.

I really hope you like this and feedback would be extremely neat.

Screenshot 1

2. Primus Motor

Primus Motor Chieftain

3. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

This looks really cool. Good job! I love that you chose Stalin and Gorby - excellent choices as it really makes for a different game.

I would only suggest renaiming it to "Soviet Empire" to remain consistent with the other naming conventions. And be aware that air/sea unique units are kinda ineffective compare to land ones.

4. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

You can always leave the Mig in as a flavor unit since you've reskinned it, just revert it back to the default values. I would definately recommend that as air UUs are not as handy as they may seem. Also, when I think of the soviets (unit wise) the first thing to come to my mind is not a MiG, perhaps a replacement for modern armor would work well. You could also do unique infantry, conviently enough the existing marine model uses a rifle that bears a striking resemblance to an AK-47 :)

Anyway, cool civ... slow download. An alternative download option is to go to loadedinc.com (see my sig) and send a PM to rush he can host it there for you.

5. Primus Motor

Primus Motor Chieftain

Thanks!

Yes, I had trouble thinking of a new unique unit, so I chose MiG for now. As for unique infantry... perhaps Spetsnaz (special forces)? You know, I originally had Spetsnaz, which was just NAVY Seal with new logo... I took it off because it was just a NAVY Seal.. any ideas how to make Spetsnaz really unique? :)

6. Red Threat

Red Threat 52ยช brigata Garibaldi

Can you post the screens? The links don't work to me.

7. Primus Motor

Primus Motor Chieftain

Here's some screenies,

Attached Files:

8. Tompskij

Tompskij Chieftain

No Lenin? :sad:

I agree that Spetsnaz should be the UU......good idea. :goodjob:

9. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

Nice shots!

Eventually, I'm working on the Soviet civ, too :D. As for UU, MiG Figter seems good, but my choice would be T-34 for sure. Probably, the most effective weapon of WW2.

For Lenin, you can check Rulers of Russia mod in my sig ;)

10. Primus Motor

Primus Motor Chieftain

:)

You know, I was wondering if the MiG Fighter could be a soviet-only unit yet still having Spetsnaz as the unique unit... or would that mean two unique units? I wonder if it's even possible :D

Rulers of Russia mod also looks really sweet ;)

11. Coberlv

Coberlv Chieftain

1. Great Job.! Now how about a Latvian civ.? ;)
    2. You could give them ak`s and the ability to ignore the city defense bonus. For god`s sake, It`s the Spetsnaz.! They don`t jsut attack the frontline.. They flank.! :D

12. Kissamies

Kissamies Chieftain

Agreed. T-34 replacing tank. Unlike german panzer, this should just get a solid strenght bonus, I think. Replacement for modern armor (T-80?) could be another possibility, but it comes so late in the game...

13. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

T-34 would be much better choice for UU.

14. Primus Motor

Primus Motor Chieftain

You know, T-34 sounds like a good idea now, but I would need someone who can create models to make me a new tank model which looks like the T-34. I have to admit, the MiG was a temporary choice... T-34 seems to fascinate me more than the Spetsnaz now too.

15. Coberlv

Coberlv Chieftain

If you get any trouble choosing you can just make a cold war mod or something by adding united states and putting trough the whole 20.th century weaponry. That would of course require a new tech tree but if you reaally get into it.. :D

16. Tunch Khan

Tunch Khan Chieftain

Why did you pick expansive for Gorbachev? He kinda shrinked the Soviet Empire, no? ;)

17. Primus Motor

Primus Motor Chieftain

Yes Coberlv, when I get to know the basics of making proper campaigns I shall work on some :)

Tunch Khan, his intentions were to reform the USSR but he failed :p I might think of a better trait to next version though ;)

18. Chuey68

Chuey68 Chieftain

I have been working on this also. I was thinking of using Lenin or Marx as the leader and have learning communism trigger a revolutionary phase. I was thinking a GA or a short duration where your GP output would be boosted or instead of the MIG maybe having workers becoming a variation of Indian fast workers, the workers under communism could have some kind combat skills. (dictatorship of the proletariat).

19. Robo Magic Man

Robo Magic Man Chieftain

Looks great, but I'd really love to see Lenin as a leader. If he hadn't died, Russia would be a true communism, Stalin wouldn't have made it a totalitarian dictatorship, and there'd probably be less fear of communism in America.

20. Tovergieter

Tovergieter Chieftain

I much agree with him, besides, Lenin's regime didnt had any form of Racism; Stalin did discriminate Jews, Chechens and Middle-Asians which is actually more like fascist than communist. And I think that Racism is part of Fascism and Radical-Capitalism and not in Communism. (It supposed to be racism free)