New Civics Screen

Originally Posted by Nightinggale View Post
The term we are looking for is more of a philosophical kind where religious people focuses on the life on earth regardless of their views on the god(s).
Well if you want to get philosophical, maybe Epicureanism, contrasted against Stoicism, Cynicism, etc. (OTOH I think most medieval people probably didn't know or care much about philosophy, other than a few marginalized monks.)

Hedonism?

The problem that this word is merely philosophical and it is completely away from religion (Unless your religion is only enjoying as much as possible)

Heh, yeah I don't think that's what he is referring too. I did some more "quick" research in Judaism. One Jewish philosopher calls it "Life after Life", as being apposed to life after death. They definitely focus on this life, as this helps your spirit deal with the next life. We may could ask around on some Jewish forums and see if they know of a term.

I added some more info to the Civics list. I'm going to change Centralized to Protectionism. Right now just keeping it to 5 choices each Civic, and only 5 Civic Options. When I get that much working we cant test things out and see what else we want to add. I am Thinking we can add bonuses to FF points with Civics, such a Market give bonus to Exploration as Merchants were some of your bravest and boldest Explorers.

Attachments

• ACivics.jpg
    ACivics.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 203
We are keeping track of the current development of the Civics Screen on github, you can follow the progress here https://github.com/Nightinggale/Medieval_Tech/issues?state=open

Issues marked as Needs Play Tested are hmmm.. ready for play testing and feed back. You are allowed to freely change between Civics at the moment for play testing purposes. Most of the Civics do nothing at the moment also, but they will be filled in as we go along.

I have been testing your civics and I have come twice to the same problem.

The second time I tested it I was in turn 84 or so and the first time happened more or less at the same turn.

The game simply gets stuck. I return to windows desktop but I can't see the debugger. I have to switch off Colonization from the task manager.

Here I attach the problem. You will find the normal bug of "City Lacks Plotgroup" but after you ignore it,there comes the problem.

In the meantime, I have been able to see a Nobleman appear after city growth, so civics work. I couldn't establish trading posts or missions so far.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0956.ColonizationSave
    232.3 KB · Views: 90
I have been testing your civics and I have come twice to the same problem.

The second time I tested it I was in turn 84 or so and the first time happened more or less at the same turn.

The game simply gets stuck. I return to windows desktop but I can't see the debugger. I have to switch off Colonization from the task manager.

Here I attach the problem. You will find the normal bug of "City Lacks Plotgroup" but after you ignore it,there comes the problem.

In the meantime, I have been able to see a Nobleman appear after city growth, so civics work. I couldn't establish trading posts or missions so far.

Hmm, we need to work out a system that makes testing saved games easy as your mod name is imbedded into the saved game. It looks to be something like "Medieval Tech 2.0 i -civics". We should pick a standard name for anyone who wants to test to use, so perhaps Medieval_Tech_Civics will do.

The main thing right now is to just test the civics to be sure they are acting as we say they should be acting. You don't really have to play through a game at this stage. Do you have cheat mode activated? If so you can press K to research any tech for testing. Look at the Pedia hints for other cheat commands.

So, if you wanted to test the new Trading Post connected Civics, you can actually Play as the Anglo-Saxons as I have given them all the techs necessary in order to test that, or you can Press K to get the tech for free in order to test.

When play testing try to think of ways to exploit the system to your advantage, or break the system. Test how the functions, commands, effects, etc. work; checking the numbers to make sure they are what they are suppose to be.

For example; you can set up several Trade Posts in barbarian villages with out roads. Then check your cities to see if you have a bonus, then change your Civic to "Free Market", and check your cities again. You should still not have bonuses. Then you can open World Builder and add or remove roads to connect your cities, then check for the bonuses again, there should be bonuses. Then declare War on the Barbarians, or change your Civics again, and then check to see if the bonuses are gone.

As far as I know World Builder should work with all the Civics for testing. You can add buildings, or units and change their profession if need be. The ability to change to any profession is not available in vanilla World Builder but is something I added for my own testing purposes.

Note: World Builder could break testing some features but if I discover this I'll make note of it.

I found the issue you brought up and posted it in the bug thread here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13106470&postcount=228. I don't think it has anything to do with Civics.

I created a work around for that saved game, let me know if you need it or if not I'll take it down. Beware, the next turn someone that doesn't like you declares war :)

I created a work around for that saved game, let me know if you need it or if not I'll take it down. Beware, the next turn someone that doesn't like you declares war :)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Thank you for the work around, but I was playing for testing purposes only. A new commit will make these warlike people not have the pleasure to conquer me. Anyway, I downloaded it to take a good note of those tyrants.
Huh? Normal bug?
I thought I fixed that even before the civic branch was made :confused:
Well, I’ve continued to find that bug. It may be the case here that in this situation, I was playing with the Vikings who don’t start in their own cities. Could be a reason. But I’m not sure now if I also saw it with other civs.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Thank you for the work around, but I was playing for testing purposes only. A new commit will make these warlike people not have the pleasure to conquer me. Anyway, I downloaded it to take a good note of those tyrants.

Well, I’ve continued to find that bug. It may be the case here that in this situation, I was playing with the Vikings who don’t start in their own cities. Could be a reason. But I’m not sure now if I also saw it with other civs.

Ok, I'll take it down now as it takes up upload space.

I have seen that FAssert also before, but I haven't really paid attention to it yet as I thought it was a known thing. I'll pay more attention to them now though.

The Civic_Screen branch has been updated again.

This push changes and previous changes are..

Civic Effect: Hunting returns extra food
Under the Manorial Civic hunting efforts return +100% bonus to Luxury Food

Civic Effect: Workers can Build after Moving
Under Bureaucracy workers can build (Build Road, Clear Forest, etc.) after moving. Normally workers who move in a turn can not start projects until next turn. So, when you move to a Forest you have to wait till the next turn to actually start the project, even if your unit has 2 moves, as the move to the Forest costs you 2 moves. This Civic however will allow your units to begin projects even after moving. Couple this with Extra movement for Workers or Worker rate increases will greatly help you expand your Empire.

Update on the Civics Branch: Buildings can earn percent of Treasury

This effect must be modded in two places with corresponding attributes.
Example:

CIV4BuildingInfos.xml

Code:
<CivicTreasuryBonuses>
     <CivicTreasuryBonus>
          <CivicType>CIVIC_STATE_CONTROL</CivicType>
          <iValue>2</iValue>
     </CivicTreasuryBonus>
</CivicTreasuryBonuses>

CIV4CivicInfos.xml

Code:
<CivicTreasuryBonuses>
     <CivicTreasuryBonus>
          <BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_MINT</BuildingClassType>
          <iValue>1</iValue>
     </CivicTreasuryBonus>
     <CivicTreasuryBonus>
          <BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_BANK</BuildingClassType>
          <iValue>2</iValue>
     </CivicTreasuryBonus>
</CivicTreasuryBonuses>

In this example, Banks replace Mints so the accumulative total for that city would be 2%. Two places are used because that was the way I finally decided to do it sense there are several configurations such as; changing Civics with and without buildings, and processing new Buildings with or without the Civic, plus it makes it easier for the Pedia. The Pedia will show if a Building gains a treasury bonus under a Civic.

I have also enabled the ability to mouse hover(see screenshot) over the Gold Pile icon on the main screen to give info about your income. I will edit this to included all Gold Per Turn factors.

Attachments

• TreasuryPerTurn.jpg
    TreasuryPerTurn.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 164
WOW!!

I LOVE IT!

This will be epic!

So am I right in thinking that this could also be done with a tech?

This will be cool!

Yeah, Techs are like permanent Civics. Civics can be turned off and on, but should be the same as Techs. Ill make sure to program them to work the same.

Nice I like that feature :goodjob: :gold:

I think you may be underestimating how quick this could stack up through, even at a minimum 1% per building. With 5 Banks you're making 10% interest every month or over 120% per year, that's more than Tony Soprano. It's already easy to make money in M:C, and with compound interest your gold could stack up to the point where it overwhelms any possible need, especially if the King tax demands are nerfed away.

Maybe <iValue> could be in basis points instead of 1 percent (1 basis point = %0.01), so you could set <iValue>100</iValue> if you want a full 1%, but can also make buildings with much smaller contributions if needed for balancing. Civics that grant this could also have higher per-city or per-citizen Yield upkeep costs to compensate.

Does it need to be coded in two XMLs, what happens if they're conflicting? I would think it could just be in BuildingInfos.xml and the building will check if you have that civic. But there's no need to change if it works fine. :king:

Top Bottom