New Civilization: Ireland

Sadistik

Warlord
Happy Thanksgiving to my American mates, here's a gift. :) (No one else acted on the surge of anticipation for an Irish civ...)

This is still a work in progress, but you can have what I've come up with so far.

Civ: Ireland
Flag: Boru Harp
UU: Gallowglass (Swordsmen)
Techs: Hunting, Mysticism

Leader: James II
Skin: Louis XIV
Favorite Civic: Free Religion
Traits: Spiritual, Creative

Leader: Brian Boru
Skin: Genghis Khan (Reskinned by LAnkou)
Favorite Civic: Nationhood
Traits: Aggressive, Expansive

Enjoy.

Download Here
Last Updated: 11/28/05

Attachments

• irishciv.jpg
    irishciv.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 6,433
bonus vs archers probably
ps im irish and i must say THANKYOOOOO for this :D

Think nothing of it. We're all sons of Erin, just some of us are in denial.

Yeah, bonus against archers makes sense. Irish armies were able to withstand foreign attempts at domination for over 500 years. (Granted the Gallowglasses were foreign units similar to the Varangian Guard. ;))

If we went with something modern, we'd need a modern leader like deV or Collins. I'll leave the verdict on the UU open, but in the meantime I've fixed the flag. (Edited top post for link)

definitely very nice.. if I hadn't already finished my own version I would definitely be using this.. great work

Sadistik said:
I also haven't done Civilopedia entries yet. It's a holiday and I was in a rush.

arent the irish = the celtic?
isnt there a celtic mod yet?

it shoulda been in the original civ

jimkirk said:
arent the irish = the celtic?
isnt there a celtic mod yet?

it shoulda been in the original civ

Only things I took from them are Civ traits and the Brian Boru leader. Different UU, different Civ color, different flag, different cities, and no Verc'rix.

I made a civilopedia entry for James II and updated the UU a bit. I'll upload that shortly.

ireland was colonised by early celts, so their culture evolved differently to mainland celts of latter ages. the have their own unique gods, legends and language.

Quinzy said:
ireland was colonised by early celts, so their culture evolved differently to mainland celts of latter ages. the have their own unique gods, legends and language.

Yeah. the early celts (Example: the Gauls and possibly Picts) had little in common with the medieval Irish.

Celts from Spain ['celtiberians'] colonized Ireland and named it after one of their Goddesses [eriu]. They then several centuries later colonized Scotland, Iceland, Man, etc.

Unfortunately, the Welsh, Bretons, and Cornish are not among these, so they're very distant cousins.

That's why the Celtic civ is too broad to work for the modern era. It's like having a Slavic civ and using Rurik and Stalin.

the picts lived in what is now scotland. the original scots lived in what is now northern ireland. the picts went south and assimilated into cumbrians (so unique to other english they nearly need a civ of their own!)
the N.I scots moved into scotland and the geals moved north to northern ireland.
the origins of the colonisation of ireland are fuzzy ones. the irish say that the someones, (cant remember name) were the first, then the some other ones (cant remember) and finaly the some other others (once again, memory fails me). but the iberians are the most likely "culprits".

Quinzy said:
the picts lived in what is now scotland. the original scots lived in what is now northern ireland. the picts went south and assimilated into cumbrians (so unique to other english they nearly need a civ of their own!)
the N.I scots moved into scotland and the geals moved north to northern ireland.
the origins of the colonisation of ireland are fuzzy ones. the irish say that the someones, (cant remember name) were the first, then the some other ones (cant remember) and finaly the some other others (once again, memory fails me). but the iberians are the most likely "culprits".
The "N.I. Scots" who went to Caledonia and the people of Ireland are the same people. The kingdom of Dal Riada (founded by O'Neills who later became the MacAlpins) existed in Eastern Ulster as well as South-western Scotland. They lost their Ulster territory and were forced to focus on the Eastern front. Similar to the Roman Empire when you think about it ;)

well if you want to get reeeeeeeeeealy technical, no two irish tútha (sp?) were similar at all, each having at least one unique legendary-hero-family member-person :D ;)

Quinzy said:
well if you want to get reeeeeeeeeealy technical, no two irish tútha (sp?) were similar at all, each having at least one unique legendary-hero-family member-person :D ;)

That's the realm of fantasy. I thought we were talking things/people that really existed ;)

Quinzy said:
im hurt. for all you know they could have been real ;)

We Irish had to abandon our phony gods eventually. Nobody takes Remus and Romulus literally. ;)

i dont like you any more ;)
you're from cork,and you know how us, well normal irishmen feel about your type :D langer :)

Quinzy said:
i dont like you any more ;)
you're from cork,and you know how us, well normal irishmen feel about your type :D langer :)

Here's to having Ratzinger named Head of State instead of McAleese.

Top Bottom