new civilization: Poland

Can we have an IOU for that ;)?

Seriously 'though, there seems to be a bug with the Regional Council. HERE in the attachment to post #16 is a temporary "patch". We'll try to release a new version once we identify the problem.

Here you are : IOU...
BTW: don't you think that financial bonus of regional diet isn't appropriate?
We never had much gold in our kigdom's treasure...Especially in the times of noble's golden freedom(ironically, because of laws passed by regional diet's)
Wouldn't be better culture/hapiness/health, eventually great people rate bonus?
Free promotion or xp for mounted units, making hussars even more deadly, would also work fine.

PS. I played yesterday with Polish, but game crashed when I selected hussar unit to produce.

Yeah I got the Hussar crash as well.

I think the Great General bonus might be what's crashing the Regional Council. I removed that and the financial bonus and replaced it with a "reduction in maintaince" increase to 60% and it seems to work fine now?

The patch I've linked to should solve the problem. If not, well, hopefully the new version of the mod should be out in a week or so.

Levonardo: although Martinus has contributed for some time for the mod, he doesn't work on it anymore since some time. So if you want to thank a single person for the mod, thank kodzi :). You will find detailed credits in the readme file, BTW.

I have a related thing - we are preparing a petition to Firaxis to include Poland a civilization in future versions of Civ. Here is a proposal:
http://forums.civ.org.pl/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5159&page=3#126496
when we settle down the final version of petition, it will go online, we will wait some time to get the support and we will post it to Civ creators.

It's just a proposal - not a real petition yet, but your opinions will be appreciated. Please read it and write what you think. When it will go online, I'll post info here.

Eskel - Adam odezwij się chyba się znamy z Lęborka :) wysłałem PW i maila do Ciebie.

Anyway, good news - I've just tested the new version of the mod for a bit, and, apart for some very minor graphical glitches, it looks a-OK. Watch this space for more news :).

EDIT: The new version is available at the usual place:
http://www.civ.org.pl/downloads.php?lang=Eng&type=Civ4&section=Mods

Also, sorry, but I've overlooked this post:

Eskel said:
[...]
BTW: don't you think that financial bonus of regional diet isn't appropriate?
We never had much gold in our kigdom's treasure...Especially in the times of noble's golden freedom(ironically, because of laws passed by regional diet's)
Wouldn't be better culture/hapiness/health, eventually great people rate bonus?
Free promotion or xp for mounted units, making hussars even more deadly, would also work fine.

You raise valid points - however, what specific bonuses would you propose?

Bonuses for regional diet:
+2 culture - because Polish in XV-XVII cnt. had great cultural influence over Lithuania, Belorus and Ukraine, most polish noblists are writers, and last but not least it gives significant bonus to both builder and warlord playing styles (helps in expansion, prevents cities from flipping, increases resistance), or
+ 25% great ppl rate - nice addition to empire, more dependant on spectacular achievements/events than overall economy strength is more appropriate to polish history (many great ppl, like Copernicus, Hevelius, Kosciushko, Pulaski, Bem, Maria Curie-Sklodovska, John Paul II, while economical basis was relatively weak), or
+ 3 xp for mounted units - one of the Poland's army main strengths in the course of XV-XVIII cnt. was excellent cavalry. It was a decisive factor in victories like Grunwald, Chocim, Kirchholm or Vienna. +3xp bonus would allow +1 promo, thus giving a nice kick for expansion, especially during middle ages and reneissance (historically accurate!), becoming obsolete in modern times.

My personal choice is +25% gpr as I am worried that Xp bonus would be great, but that too powerful. Any other ideas? Any foreigner opinions are welcome.

here's what i think the stats for the hussar should be
Hussar
25%versus guns while attacking
25%versus pikes while attacking

offtopic does anyone know what my name means it's stanley,i keep being told it's polish

Petition is going very well - over 800 votes already. If Firaxis will accept our idea, they will surely have to rethink husaria's bonuses :) For me 25% against guns and pikes while attacking sounds reasonable.
s.c.dude: Stanley is a germanic name, but sometimes Poles that have first name 'Stanisław' when they have to register in English-speaking countries, they register themselves as 'Stanley' (because it sounds similar and Stanisław contains Polish letter). Stanisław is an old Polish male first name, it is made of two words: 'stan' (state) and 'sława' (fame) so it roughly translates into 'to became famous'. Best known name holders: Stanisław August Poniatowski 1732-1798 last King of Poland and Great Prince of Lithuania, Stanisław Lem - writer (best known from science-fiction), Stanisław Franciszek Sosabowski - general paratroopers commander in Arnhem invasion in 1944.

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and I just wanted to say that I think this mod an great idea! The only problem that I’m facing is that it is for Warlord and not vanilla. So, I was wondering if there was any way to play this mod on the vanilla version. Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

Hi guys.

Poland sure is a nice addition to diversity.

I would say regional diet might provide some happiness and/or culture bonus - say +2 culture +1 happiness and be less effective than courthouse in terms of decreasing maintenance costs (- 40%?).
I am not TOO familiar with Polish history (have read Sienkiewicz's "Deluge" and "Crusaders" a few times), but I think the nation was leaning towards promotion of local autonomy and rights of local schlachta - thus promoting local happiness vs greater corruption and economical inefficiency.

+ 25% great ppl rate is downright crappy, + it copies the forum, while bonus to mounted somewhat copies Mongols - and would perhaps be a bit overpowering and not much to do with that particular UB.

You could, however, replace Hussars' 50% vs melee against 25% vs Melee (Pike?) and 25% vs Gunpowder, thus increasing their useful lifespan. They were, after all, the last Heavy Cavalry in Europe, not becoming obsolete against firearms, so that would be appropriate.

A bit offtopic, but above someone claimed, that Poland mostly fought defensive wars. Now, that only happened after they were the single largest country in entire Europe. It took something to get there :) What the heck was Bathory doing in Estonia in this case, then? ;)

Hi guys.

Poland sure is a nice addition to diversity.

I would say regional diet might provide some happiness and/or culture bonus - say +2 culture +1 happiness and be less effective than courthouse in terms of decreasing maintenance costs (- 40%?).
I am not TOO familiar with Polish history (have read Sienkiewicz's "Deluge" and "Crusaders" a few times), but I think the nation was leaning towards promotion of local autonomy and rights of local schlachta - thus promoting local happiness vs greater corruption and economical inefficiency.

+ 25% great ppl rate is downright crappy, + it copies the forum, while bonus to mounted somewhat copies Mongols - and would perhaps be a bit overpowering and not much to do with that particular UB.

You could, however, replace Hussars' 50% vs melee against 25% vs Melee (Pike?) and 25% vs Gunpowder, thus increasing their useful lifespan. They were, after all, the last Heavy Cavalry in Europe, not becoming obsolete against firearms, so that would be appropriate.

A bit offtopic, but above someone claimed, that Poland mostly fought defensive wars. Now, that only happened after they were the single largest country in entire Europe. It took something to get there :) What the heck was Bathory doing in Estonia in this case, then? ;)

You are right, though I wouldnt cripple corthouse ability because of game balance. I think happiness/culture bonus alone while weaker and less significant than many other UB's bonuses will be just fine.

Excellent idea. Less overpowered, and more counter-janissary unit, what is more historically accurate.

Prussia (wars against Teutonic order), Kurland, Livonia, Estonia, Moldavia - there were all offensive war conducted in times of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. But there were aggressive wars before: Halitz Russia, Ruthenia, Kievan Rus, Moravia, Mishnia(Meissen), Lusitia(Lausitz).

Czesc! Hey guys!

I have installed the latest version of the mod and it allows me to choose it at the begining and has the mod name in the upper right hand corner, but nowhere is Poland listed for me as a country to play. All the standard ones are there.

I placed it in my Civ IV/Warlords/Mods directory. Any ideas what might be causing the glitch on my end? I even autoupdated the game to v208 after it didn't work the first time.

Czesc! Hey guys!

I have installed the latest version of the mod and it allows me to choose it at the begining and has the mod name in the upper right hand corner, but nowhere is Poland listed for me as a country to play. All the standard ones are there.

I placed it in my Civ IV/Warlords/Mods directory. Any ideas what might be causing the glitch on my end? I even autoupdated the game to v208 after it didn't work the first time.

I dont remember exactly, but there was sth wrong with folders.
You probably have to manually reorganize dir tree. It should look like:
\Civ4\Warlords\Mods\Poland - main mod catalogue, there [mod name].ini should be stored. It should also contain \Assets subfolder, readme, uninstall.exe and nothing more.

:woohoo: :D
What have You done?! I've just started to go out of Civ4 addiction and... My! I can finally play with my own nation! And even two leaders! OMG. Can't wait to finish work and spend happy evening with my civilization advancing on long-time foes :thumbsup: Hm... I think I'll take Monarch and kill some meat. :aargh: :ar15:
Thank You all, I'll post my thoughts about it when I'll see all.

Meanwhile, as for the traits...
We were protective, as far as the history goes. All our greatest victories (Grunwald, Kircholm or Vienna defence) were done to defend (well, we kicked some butts and gained some land, but it's because we were attacked, a lot of land gained was due to agreements/marriages of royal lines xP). Now, I know that for 80% players protective trait suck, so what I would recommend for future reference is to check this trait: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=196273 and maybe... Modify Protective? Is it possible at all? I like the idea with 20-30% strength increase in cultural borders, and/or 50% fortify bonus.
With cheap castles/walls from Protective we could make castles giving extra xp for mounted units - that would make polish cavalry significantly better in attacking (we had good cavalry during Grunwald battle too, so it goes smoothly to me with usefullness of castles - from Engineering (Grunwald, 1410) to Gunpowder (Vienna, 1683)). And that's it - we would have nice Protective civilization with ability to kick others with reeeally nice Knights, and also there is no need for brainstorming unique building for Poland.
These are just free thoughts, I'll write more this evening/tomorrow morning.
Thanks once again! :goodjob:

Basically, I think that there should be much, much much more civilizations to play than like 17 (I wasn't counting, but it's not much anyway). Firaxis guys are lazy buggers for sure... xP

Ok, so I've played it last night. Great fun, everything runs smoothly and I'm really happy - thank You! :goodjob:

Now, comments. (don't get me wrong, mod is perfect, these are just my opinions how to... improve)

- installer file is double-packed. First, one manually has to show proper path to Civ4/Warlord etc., then mod's name in load mod screen name is Polish Empire ver xxx, which is improper - all the data are inside, in "Poland" folder. So one has to manually put Poland folder into Mods and run once again through "Load a Mod" - the name of mod is Poland. Then after game reload finally there is new music, start screen and the rest - VERY nice!.
Eeeh, yeah, that took a bit of time :badcomp:

- Some changes happened that we don't know apparently - Cassimir is Protective and Organized, not Industrious. Also, Heavy Hussars have same staticstics, but also +25% against Gunpowder. Guess should be updated. (Darn! And I wanted go wonder-mad with him! Make Warsaw to build Great Wall!! :lol: )

- Graphics of Hussar are superb! But strangely amused me seeing the battle, when Hussars are basically lashing enemies with lances. No thrusts, just swings. With lances, hehehe :D

- Sobieski's animation is great, Cassimir is Brennus in disguise, maybe in far future some artist could make leaderhead so nice as the one of Sobieski's... Besides I liked Italicus's artwork too (His Sobieski should be more of a warrior silhouette)

Mod is GREAT and thank You for making so much fun for me :thanx: :hatsoff: :clap:

EDIT

Regional council has +10% commerce, courthouse function and +25% GG rate. Pretty interesting, but on what basis it's working? +25% in this particular city area?

Also, in Civilopedia entry about Poland there are some misspells, like Battle of Grv (should be Grunwald) etc.

Take care, all the best and Merry Christmas! :D

was looking forward all the time to play with poland, now I found this. great job! dzienkuje wam serdecznie!! :goodjob:

Greetings,
Cab
Jeszcze polska nie zginela! :king:

Top Bottom