new civilization: Poland

Martinus

Emperor

Mod Features
  • Adds the Polish civilization
  • Adds Casimir and John III Sobieski as the leader of the Polish civilization (LeaderHeads and buttons for Civilopedia)
  • Includes Unique Unit - Heavy Hussar (and button for Civilopedia)
  • Includes new flag and button for Civilopedia
  • Includes Civilopedia entries for Casimir, John III Sobieski, Heavy Hussar, and Poland
  • Orginal Polish sound for units
  • Orginal music for leaders
    ------
    Music clips disclaimer:
    Music By: InkwizytoR on the motives of:
    Bogurodzica (Casimir) and F. Chopin Etude C-dur (Sobieski).
    Used Intruments:Claymore Set,NaturalStudio.
    Used Software:ModPlug Tracker 1.16, Audacity.
    All Rights Reserved, Niepołomice 2006
    ------

Download (0.85)
http://www.civ.org.pl/downloads.php?lang=Pol&type=Civ4&section=Mody (Polskie Imperium - Kliknij)
or
http://www.civ.org.pl/downloads.php?lang=Eng&type=Civ4&section=Mods (Polish Empire - Click)

Polish Civilization

Starting Techs
- Agriculture
- Hunting

Leaders
Casimir

- Industrious
- Organized
- Favors Hereditary Rule Civic
John III Sobieski

- Aggressive
- Expansive
- Favors Representation Civic

Unique Unit
Heavy Hussar

- Strenght: 10
- Movement: 2
- Cost: 90 hammers
- Replace: Knight
- 1 First Strike
- Immune to First Strikes
- Doesn't Receive Defensive Bonuses
- +50% vs. Melee Units

Screenshots:

Special thanks to:
- Martinus for the first versions of the mod, and ideas
- LoD for the help, ideas and the patronage
- Jecrell for making the leaderhead files
- Radio Fabryka http://www.radiotczew.pl/ (particularly for Patryk) and jobabr - Polish sound for units
- newMDKiller for the flag file and buttons (civilization, Hussar)
- Berenika Stefańska for the Civilopedia Entries (Poland, Hussar)
- Kodzi for the music
- other people who helped with their ideas

NOTICE: The entries for the two leaders are largely based on the corresponding Wikipedia articles.

Installation

To install the module:
1)Unzip the Poland directory into the Mods folder of your game installation.
2)Start the game
3)Select ADVANCED
4)Select LOAD A MOD
5)Choose Poland
6)Press OK
7)The game should reload. After that, the name of the mod ("Poland") should be visible in the upper right hand corner of the title screen.

The author of the "Polish Empire.." logo and layout* is newMDKiller.

*(based on Jecrell's Carthage)

Things to do:
- replace current leaderheads with versions made by CivArmy,
- replace current leaderheads with animated leaderheads (impossible as of now),
- replace heavy hussar graphics (currently uses Knight's graphics) with own animated graphics (impossible as of now),
- include original text for Sobieski and Casimir (AI diplomacy).

Version History (since 0.81) :

0.85: added original, leader-specific music (made by Kodzi/InkwizytoR)!
0.82: added a new, better flag. Removed a bug associated with city naming.

This flag pleases to me, perhaps only the eagle should be more centralised (now it's too high - in my modest opinion). Generally good work, but it's only the beginning. :)

Have you considered adding Lech Walensa? He was a pretty influential leader.

Industrial and something else perhaps?

NICE.. poland belongs in the game..

It should had been in the game a long time ago.

Maybe cause i'm a croat.. i find the game very frustrating..

the game has FRANCE, GERMANY, ENGLAND, SPAIN,

but when it comes to the SLAVS it only has the RUSSIANS.. u can kinda Pretend the Mongols are slavic sorta, cause of Hungary and Finland and the invasion..

but it just doesn't fly..
one group is just way overpresented to the point of staleness.. the WEST.. to me, it gets lame... france, germany, england, spain.. those guys practically all live in the same area of the world..

Poland should had been in the original game.. and russian.. and maybe some other slav group too.. that that would had been cool.

Sadistik said:
Hey Marty, now that Hungary's UU is Hussars aren't you glad I suggested the name change? ;)
I will probably rename them to Winged Hussar then. The problem with using "Husaria" for the unit is that "Husaria" simply means a "collection of hussars" in Polish - a single member of such unit is still called "Hussar".

Martinus said:
I will probably rename them to Winged Hussar then. The problem with using "Husaria" for the unit is that "Husaria" simply means a "collection of hussars" in Polish - a single member of such unit is still called "Hussar".

Meh, well, in Civ 4 unlike previous Civ's, you have multiple units for every one you build. ;)

Still, Winged Hussar works. Was the name they went with for Cossacks.

hmm, doesn't it have the same stats of Conquistador ?

Just for the record: "hussar" means both Hungarian light cavalry and Polish heavy cavalry in contemporary English, and it's difficult to say which definition is better known.

onedreamer: cripes! Thanks for noticing this. Well, it looks like the Winged Hussar is actually weaker - seems like Martinus and I were so afraid to overbalance the unit that we actually achieved the opposite :). Martinus, how about upping the melee bonus then?

Great Job!!

I hope the rest of work regarding polish civ will be finished soon.

I have no idea how to create mod for civilization, but If you need any help with 2d graphics I could help ;)

For example I would change the flag:

good, good just as i said few days ago. Now i have a reason to start again campaign:)

Here`s some photos of hussar (vel husaria):

Maybe it will help.

And about maing game - i would make the price of hussar higher (lets say 120 hammers) and better stats - like strenght 12 because you know, these guys were really tough.

ghost_dog, thanks for your post - I don't think we can edit unit graphics at this moment, though - at least until firaxis releases some sort of editor. As for stats, I would like the UU to be more or less comparable with similar UUs of other civs (e.g. Japanese samurai and Spanish conquistador). The thing I hate most about mods like this is making the UU overpowered because it is made by people who think the unit was stronger than in reality - besides, civ 4 is not a realistic historical game, but a computer game loosely based on history - therefore gameplay and balance should always trump historical realism.

Well, if it will be helpful i can write some stuff to civlopedia or find more graphics, just write me on priv, mail or gadu-gadu;) (6622931)

Oh by the way, maybe it will sound stupid but someone could write how to install this mod :blush:

Great. Civilopedia is what we need most right now, along with sound/music files, if we are going to customise them too. (Would be cool if someone recorded all the order commands in Polish). :)

As for installing, you need to unpack it as it is into the Mods directory. Then, when starting a game, Choose Advanced -> Load a Mod and then Poland. The game will restart and you will be able to choose Poland from playable civs (if you choose the custom game, Sobieski and Casimir will be at the bottom of the list; in simple game they will be second or first on the list).

according to my information feathers wings of husaria allow them to create a specific sound that was distrupting enemy horses, thus I think that husar should have bonuses versus mounted

regarding husaria graphics, this is very nice:

We actually considered the bonus vs. horses, Migalart, but apparently they were considered most effective against melee units, especially against pikemen (unlike other mounted units), hence the melee bonus. As I said, I wouldn't want to make them the most powerful unit in game. ;)

ghost_dog, and other people who can speak Polish - please also check out the thread here: http://forums.civ.org.pl/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4592&page=0#98244

civ.org.pl guys already offered some stuff for the mod (like most civilopedia write-ups) from the Civ3 Polish mod, so it seems like we have most of the stuff ready. Also it seems there is going to be a very pretty model of hussar, which is viewable in one of the last posts. :)

Top Bottom